Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Balance on threat level v allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Freeman
msg tools
So, here's a general question ... and this is me asking without experience.

SCENARIO / BACKGROUND INFO
I'm IP in our first campaign (all players involved) and the rebels got their first ally in Luke Skywalker about 3 missions from the end.

We read it over and the rules state that the IP gets Threat equal to the deployed unit's cost at the start of the game. I'm slightly concerned for balance since the rebels have proven themselves skilled (and super lucky) and have been able to deal with damage spikes routinely.

Does this "counterbalance" for bringing in an ally result in an actual balance? or does it simply result in a difficulty spike for the first wave.

... if it's the latter case (difficulty spike), is there a way to appropriately adjust the threat costs for the duration of the mission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to spend that threat where you see fit. If you suspect they are bringing it along, it allows you to get one of your Villains or another big threat like an AT-ST out at the start if you want. Alternatively, you could spend the threat later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Freeman
msg tools
Clipper wrote:
You are allowed to spend that threat where you see fit. If you suspect they are bringing it along, it allows you to get one of your Villains or another big threat like an AT-ST out at the start if you want. Alternatively, you could spend the threat later on.

yes, that's what the rule-book says.

But that's not really what I'm asking.

I'm wanting to know, in others' experience, if this simply results in a difficulty spike upfront (that ends up with rebels having the upperhand thereafter) or if it's actually balanced.

Player feedback / anecdotal views are what I'm asking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the allies are pretty well-costed

The problem is when Rebels bring in Murne with her -4 reduction. Bringing in Jedi Luke for 12 is fine and fairly balanced but being able to bring him in at 8 is...not

So as a houserule nowadays I just ban that 1xp card and allow the Rebels to bring in ally with their respective skirmish attachment (if any), works pretty well: Murne save that 1xp, I'll let them bring in Chewie for 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wave 1 unique allies (Luke, Han, Chewie) as well as the unique villains (Vader, RGC, Weiss) are powerful, but also very expensive. In addition, Luke and Han are pretty squishy. Once the Empire concentrates on the ally, it goes down pretty quickly.

Luke and Han correspond to Elite Trandoshans or Elite Royal Guards. These are very powerful units.

The multi-figure allies (Troopers, Saboteurs) are a bit more balanced this way. Also, the allies/villains that were published in Wave 3 and later were quite a bit less expensive.

I don't think that Murne's ability is that unbalanced.

So, to sum up, I don't think that adding an ally unbalances the game. If one side loses consistently, it's most probably either lack of practice, or very bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
thinkbomb wrote:
Clipper wrote:

I'm wanting to know, in others' experience, if this simply results in a difficulty spike upfront (that ends up with rebels having the upperhand thereafter) or if it's actually balanced.

The answer you seek is in the Lothal expansion rules they include a fix that focuses on this.

Imagine Luke is worth 12 threat, you would get 6 threat at game start and then 2 per turn for first 6 turns for a total of 18. (Half threat at start and then 2 per turn for hafl threat amount of turns if I recall correctly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ⱮǾⱤǾƝ ÐɆĽŮẌɆ
Chile
flag msg tools
Lucha y fiesta
badge
Ni corto ni perezoso
mbmbmbmbmb
M0ebius wrote:
thinkbomb wrote:
Clipper wrote:

The answer you seek is in the Lothal expansion rules they include a fix that focuses on this.

Imagine Luke is worth 12 threat, you would get 6 threat at game start and then 2 per turn for first 6 turns for a total of 18. (Half threat at start and then 2 per turn for hafl threat amount of turns if I recall correctly)

So the Imperial Player will not deafeat Luke for 6 rounds when he wants the full amount of threat. This is good compensation for the rebels i guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
for both IMHO, imperial gets more threat out of it and rebel gets more activations...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
If anything, I feel like the math on allies actually tends to work in the Imperials' favor. The reason is that the Empire has access to class cards and agenda cards which can significantly improve the value of their deployment groups. As a single example, a stormtrooper squad with access to Show of Force, Shock Troopers, and Sustained Fire is worth significantly more than 6 threat. The Rebels have significantly less access to these sorts of buffs for their allies, and more often than not, if they do buff their allies, it comes at the cost of not buffing their other heroes.

Of course it'll also depend on how the rebels play, and which allies they pick. Still, in my experience, rebels bringing along allies tends to help out the empire more often than not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.