Subject: "Yog-Sothoth" looks great rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/cthulhu-death-may-...

Just look at the details of that sculpt... that requires talent.

I have just one issue...

The major problem with these figures is that I have hard time touching (great) games if they only have wooden cubes. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Yog-Sothoth looks great
I believe you mean Yog Whateley, the Dunwich Horror whistle

Looks like CMON messed up thinking Wilbur was the Horror and the Horror Yog itself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMob wrote:

I have just one issue...

The major problem with these figures is that I have hard time touching (great) games if they only have wooden cubes. shake

First world problems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
Pietro Pomella wrote:

Looks like CMON messed up thinking Wilbur was the Horror and the Horror Yog itself...

My confidence with CMON's mastery of the mythos is not very high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drewcula wrote:
Pietro Pomella wrote:

My confidence with CMON's mastery of the mythos is not very high.

To be fair mine was somewhat high, Lang had been behind the pretty great Call of Cthulhu LCG, which explored the Mythos quite thoroughly. I guess he wasn't in charge of monster design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmb

Enlighten me, what is wrong with this monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goryon wrote:

Enlighten me, what is wrong with this monster?

I'm no expert on this, but according to the comments some people think that the Yog-Sothoth model was actually meant for the Dunwich Horror monster, as that one is a barn yard sized monstrosity of something that was once human (I think, or not, I don't know). And this model is somet barn-yard sized monstrosity with a human face on top.
CMON earlier confused Wilbur with his horror, so that wouldn't be the first time in this campaign.

Found this when I entered "Dunwich Horror" in the image search.

CMONs Yog Sothoth.

As far as I know, Yog-Sothoth is a "cosmic entity" and nothing human like in any sense whatsoever. The Dunwich Horror monstrosity however is the result of Yogh-Sothoth impregnating a woman (I think). This seems to fit that description more accurately than Yog-Sothot himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally a worthy SG! With a mini like this, I don't even care if CMON misnamed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'd like them to get the names correct. Yog-Kotahi seems the most accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't look anything like how Yog-Sothoth is typically described/represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunwich Horror or not, I love that sculpt. Finally a the weird, twisted Cthulhu monster like I want it! I wish that one was 57 cm tall too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
what a clusterfuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaming "The Dunwich Horror" to "Wilbur Whateley" was fairly simple. It's just a monster, and it can be re-named.

This seems more problematic. Do they re-name it "The Dunwich Horror" ? - if so, do they then have to rush out a Yog-Sothoth? with only 1 day left on the campaign, even getting a 3D render might be a push. It would also skew the stretch goals to be including an extra one at this point.

Alternatively, do they rename it, but have The Dunwich Horror as a GOO? that seems like it would annoy more people than a sculpt which doesn't really match descriptions of Yog.

I guess that this will get left as-is, even if it was a genuine mistake that they've now realised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
This is clearly Yog-Sothoth and not the DH horror. If it’s the DH, where’s the multiple pairs of elephant-like feet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rosini Machado
Brazil
flag msg tools
The Horror is Yogs son, he is described in the book as a lesser version of his father.
But He is diferent,phe has multiple tentacles that looks like a mass of vines, tangled forming an egg shaped monster, lots of human legs, and elefant pawns, he is also invisible, the investigators on The Dunwich Horror, could have onky a glimpse of him when they try to banish him for a few seconds. This elder one is Yog, not the horror.
Guve cmon guys a break people...or at least read the tales before throwing rocks at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Stephenson
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
I guess this one will do as Shub-Niggarath. More or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
The Horror is invisible to begin with, but made visible through the use of a sprayer.

He's described as such:

"Bigger’n a barn . . . all made o’ squirmin’ ropes . . . hull thing sort o’ shaped like a hen’s egg bigger’n anything, with dozens o’ legs like hogsheads that haff shut up when they step . . . nothin’ solid abaout it—all like jelly, an’ made o’ sep’rit wrigglin’ ropes pushed clost together . . . great bulgin’ eyes all over it . . . ten or twenty maouths or trunks a-stickin’ aout all along the sides, big as stovepipes, an’ all a-tossin’ an’ openin’ an’ shuttin’ . . . all grey, with kinder blue or purple rings . . . an’ Gawd in heaven—that haff face on top!"

And here's the sculpt:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do worry they've fucked this up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Its.. MY TRACKING NUMBER!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reworded from the comments I made on KS:

I think its an Amazing figure in itself, and interpretation.

The whole premise of this game is that the Investigators are attempting to *disrupt* the ritual to bring through the GOOs subsequently making them vulnerable, mortal, killable by conventional means for short time.

Wilber and his invisible brother are his 'sons', when Wilber's brother was revealed to normal vision (the Dunwich Horror itself) it looked just like this miniature with a human face on top.

What did we think the entified Father that 'gave' Lavinia her two sons would look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pietro Pomella wrote:

Hey, Im using name they are using

I do not know if this guy is supposed to be Wilbur's twin or father but to me that sculpt looks great and I'll give it a pass as either one

As for cmon messing up things: hard to say. It depends if there is going to be additional "twin" monster figure or not... (Im guessing no.)

It is also hard to say more because of figure scale. Ive imagined Cthulhu to be "mountain" big creature. In the Death May Die game the Cthulhu figure is few times bigger than investigator. Therefore hard to estimate how large this new creature is supposed to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cotgrave wrote:
Reworded from the comments I made on KS:

I think its an Amazing figure in itself, and interpretation.

The whole premise of this game is that the Investigators are attempting to *disrupt* the ritual to bring through the GOOs subsequently making them vulnerable, mortal, killable by conventional means for s short time.

Wilber and his invisible brother are his 'sons', when Wilber's brother was revealed to normal vision (the Dunwich Horror itself) it looked just like this miniature with a human face on top.

What did we think the entified Father that 'gave' Lavinia her two sons would look like?

I believe there was some label problem and therefore they first messed up dunwich horror monster, decided to rename it to be Wilbur... without realizing they now have another messy situation

That creature sculpt is stunningly good. It resembles very well what I think of the twin.

From the stories Ive read, I have no much idea about their father but if this representing avatar of their father Im fine pretty fine with that.

Gameplaywise it (hopefully) doesnt matter.

I do hope they clean up names and art. At this point getting the artbook is not so interesting if there are errors in labels vs descriptions.

With all said... would be good to know how many monsters there will be and if indeed there are both Wilbur and nameless twin AND their father in the game.

Errors happen. No big deal. This is a board game not a surgical operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini fits better for Yog-Sothoth than the monster from the Dunwich Horror. YS is ill-defined and vaguely described, so this can work. The monster does not work with this mini, having many more feet, a long shape (not a tall one) and being much larger than this. This is presumably just some local manifestation of YS (who, like most Lovecraftian “gods” cannot be properly made at this scale anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. For me this guy seems much like the twin.

I do hope that cmon clears situation by telling which one is Wilbur, father and if there is the nameless twin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benton Reis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This kind of just looks like they took the Gluttony model from The Others and redid it a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinhangpyo51 wrote:
This kind of just looks like they took the Gluttony model from The Others and redid it a little.

Gluttony is an awesome model that deserves to be copied

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.