Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: For those who stopped buying expansions or even stopped playing the game.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What made you do that in the first place?

There are lots of users who are not active anymore on the Legendary forums. Even Itai has stopped doing the What We Know threads!

I admit that I haven't played a lot of Legendary in 2018 in comparison to previous years. It's still my most played game (excluding Azul, but that one's much easier to set up and so short that they could not really be compared), but sometimes there are weeks between 2 plays. Whenever a new expansion is released, I play the game a lot (5 plays this past weekend!). Afterwards, not so much.

So...did you stop buying expansions? Or don't you play Legendary anymore? What made you do that in the first place? Personal responsibilities? Lack of interest in the new content? Too much time to set up? Keyword inflation?

Alternatively, what would make you start playing the game / buying new content again?

I don't know what kinds of answers I'm expecting, but as I had more spare times these past few days I started to reminisce over the "good ol' times" and to wonder why many of the very active users have stopped posting here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped when I ran out of space in the core box and I didn't like the new mechanics that were being added with each expansion that much. I preferred to invest in other games than just add more variety to this when I already have a ton of it (4 small box and Dark City).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a baby left me with little time last year, Homecoming was a no buy and Champions I dodged but may buy as it seems to be popular. WWH, I hesitate due to volume of cards in preference to selective buys of small boxes. The Antman expansion will be my first buy since Xmen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife stopped playing it. She is currently my only opponent for ages like this. She still talks about it but has been busy with work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After X-Men, I was pretty content with the content I had. Plus, my current storage (Base + Villains box) was now pretty full. I still play and love the game, and the recent expansions have been tempting, but I am still overall happy with what I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now my only reason for not playing it is that I don't have the game with me - it is still waiting an opportunity to fly with me from Portugal. Which is kind of a shame because I believe I would be able to play it with my group.

About the expansions: I have the first three and I don't feel I ever explored them at maximum. Due to that, I never actually felt tempted to buy the next ones, although the Secrect Wars and X-men boxes would be interesting to me due to some of the characters inside. And, once again personally, with so many stuff already I think I will only buy some more expansion for this reason: some kind of nostalgy/likeness for some of the characters on the box. Or some storyline, that too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Ran out of space in the artist case I use to store the cards
2. More than enough gameplay in what I have
3. The quality of the comic books has really tanked in the past few years IMO, so I’ve pretty much walked away from Marvel all together (except GotG)
4. Decided to invest in Magic instead of boardgames since it is easy to find people to play with and there is organized play all over the place.

I still play, just not that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought every expansion but have not bought Hulk yet. I’m sure I will eventually. Right now I am addicted to Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am def still addicted to Legendary lol, but BGG has been the main cause for my not actually playing the game in recent weeks...for the best possible reason lol-

I found a thread where a poster i respect was talking about custom cards and just printing them on normal paper (wallet sized) and sleeving with a card to us in play....i had only ever assumed doing custom card prints from an online outlet was the only way...so when i saw this user say they just printed- i had to try...

1000+ prints later and i am swinging in so much community created content i take an hour just to figure out which characters to use- let alone actually set up and play lol

but now that the printing and cutting is done- let the games resume!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and the wife ran out of time to play it once our son arrived, and I've got better games for solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Madth333 wrote:
I am def still addicted to Legendary lol, but BGG has been the main cause for my not actually playing the game in recent weeks...for the best possible reason lol-

I found a thread where a poster i respect was talking about custom cards and just printing them on normal paper (wallet sized) and sleeving with a card to us in play....i had only ever assumed doing custom card prints from an online outlet was the only way...so when i saw this user say they just printed- i had to try...

1000+ prints later and i am swinging in so much community created content i take an hour just to figure out which characters to use- let alone actually set up and play lol

but now that the printing and cutting is done- let the games resume!

I do this. I have three "Hero" decks of the blank-double-sided cards, two "Villain" decks and a "Henchmen" deck of same, all sleeved, then I just slip my print-outs in for whatever Heroes/Villains etc I want to use. Works great for me, though does slightly increase set-up and tear-down time. Masterminds I've taken to just sleeving without cards as they rarely enter the other decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was buying every expansion pretty much automatically (besides the two villains ones) until the Secret Wars 1. Its focus on evil heroes and heroes I'd never heard of disappointed me. I think the Captain America expansion was after that and I bought it, but nothing else yet has convinced me to continue. I have my eye on X-men, but I'm waiting for a killer price. Plus, I can probably only fit one more expansion in my box (and that might mean removing the cards I never use).

As for playing, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Legendary is only really enjoyable with 1-3 players. Our game group is almost always more than 3, my wife will almost always prefer to play something else, and I have a decreased amount of time to play solo (and also Gloomhaven waiting). I have almost broken it out several times in last month, but haven't quite made it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of time and involvement in other games. Between picking D&D and Warhammer back up, on top of new games and videogames, I have just run out of time. I still treasure it and will most likely bring it out for several more plays, but at the moment I just have too many other time sinks.

Oh and kids. Kids suck up a lot of time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve never played Legendary more than sporadically, but the core reasons I play even less often come down to set up mostly. There is a lot of choosing and shuffling and the gameplay isn’t enough for me within the deck building world to warrant it. If there was a way to fairly toss a bunch of material at once (like Epic Thunderstone) I would be tickled to death!

Just moving through the Schemes with random setups can be tedious when some Schemes are decided by the shuffle of the villain deck. I hate setting up the time and decks to play and all the twists pop up before the fifth round.

I have moved decks I don’t care for to the back room to allow for all the X-Men to fit, though. This could just be X-Men and friends and I’d be sold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelley Hebert
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
usuba wrote:
Having a baby left me with little time last year, Homecoming was a no buy and Champions I dodged but may buy as it seems to be popular. WWH, I hesitate due to volume of cards in preference to selective buys of small boxes. The Antman expansion will be my first buy since Xmen

It's still early with a baby, but my 6yo plays with us all the time. He played his first two solo games this weekend. Lost the first but won the second. His deck building strategy is more along the lines of "buy the most expensive card" but he plays his own hand optimally nearly every turn. Very complex hands that result in half a dozen card draws, we help him keep count (he could do it if we had markers like in Hogwarts Battle, which he also plays).

Ease Kiddo in. Start with the core game and play a few rounds with that fits.

SH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play plenty, predominantly solo. I'd be happy to play with others, but as a group we always seem to end up doing something else.

I set up as many as 10-20 game setups when a good time comes up (maybe while watching something light on TV?) and then my games are ready to go when I want.

Buying has slowed down though. I only buy for characters I like and there's already really good coverage. Sure, I can imagine one or two more expansion ideas I'd buy into, but there have been a number I just have little interest in. If an expansion doesn't look like it'll work very well in a randomized environment, I back away too because that's how I almost always play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Iato
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still like it a lot. I did not buy the more recent expansions because I have around 5000 cards, mostly customs, and that's enough! It's also the reason I'm less inclined to browse the forums.

I play sporadically because there is so little time and so many games to play with, Legendary included!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still own the game, mostly to play with friends who are into Marvel, but for me, the Legendary Encounter games killed this system. So, I'd rather play the Alien or Firefly Encounters version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play. Lots.

The new WW Hulk expansion is awesome and I've played about 15 games since I got it last Tuesday!

I have everything (aside from 3D cards - although I do have the two henchmen groups).

I don't sleeve and can keep all the heroes in the original box. X-Men and X-Force are kept in the X-Men box.

Villains and all the set-up cards, Masterminds, Henchmen etc are all in the Villains box.

And I still have space in all of the boxes for more...

Bring it on Ant-Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Bruns
Germany
flag msg tools
I started playing the game around august 2015. I was looking for a marvel themed boardgame and chose Legendary.
I introduced the game to my friends who were into Marvel, which were 6 at the time. And they all loved it. Since then we were hooked.
We played nearly every weekend and sometimes on workdays for a year.
We were always at least 4 people, sometimes we had to play with 2 core sets at once when we all were together.
We had amazing nights and it was great fun, sometimes we played 6 or 7 games in one night. In late 2016 it all started to fall apart, and we don’t really know why.
We played less and less games. Sure we got together and still played but way more casually and 1 or 2 games at max.
I think we were oversaturated. In 2017 and 2018 we played maybe 10 games total.

I talked about this topic with my group yesterday and we pretty much all had the same answer: the game needs to change/evolve drastically. Sure more heroes and schemes etc. are great for some people, but I want completely new mechanics and gameplay.
I think Legendary Encounters is a great example with the avatars and that you can die in the game.
I would love it if they somehow could integrate that into Marvel. The other game we play a lot is the Arkham Horror LCG.
Imagine a Story driven game with consequences, multiple paths and progression with all the Marvel Legendary content that is already there.

I still look forward to every new set with a glimmer of hope that it will bring me back in full force but so far that hasn’t happened. And with MCU Core and Ant Man on the way it won’t change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eydrian wrote:
Imagine a Story driven game with consequences, multiple paths and progression with all the Marvel Legendary content that is already there.

On this matter, I think you could try to look for a fan made campaign deck created here in the forum that has that story driven theme and consequences deppending on wins, escapes and defeats. I can't remember who did it, but I can put it here the link once I find it. I never tried it since I don't have the game right now with me, but it looked interesting and not too complex

EDIT: it was easier than what I thought to find it, since I had a notification on the thread
You can find it here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
it's interesting for me, Legendary was one of the first boardgames I purchased who knows when (maybe 4-5 years a go at this point?).

I loved it and the moment Dark City came out, I gobbled that up as well.

And then, I just, stopped playing. I thought the game was a bit too easy (granted, my fiancee I play with likes ceding the deck with thematic heroes, which does make the game easy).

Also, the decision space really is quite shallow in the game and I wanted bigger, more complicated deckbuilders like Xenoshyft and Tramways.

But, I played a game of Legendary last week for the first time in probably 2 years... And I loved it! It reminded me that simple can be amazing. It was nice having a lighter game where I could just enjoy the awesome art and just getting excited at the turn of each villain and hero card. I guess it was nice NOT knowing every card (it all felt fresh again!).

For me, I now WANT to buy all the expansions because I admit, the core + Dark City are starting to wear a bit thin as far as villains and henchmen are concerned.

I've just ordered Fantastic Four and Legendary Villains (I know Villains is kind of it's own game but can be meshed in, but I mostly liked the sound of it as a standalone thing).

beyond the two I've ordered, I think I'll grab Secret Wars vol.1. I generally want to buy stuff in order of release as much as possible, Other than Guardians of The Galaxy because it seems rare and has an inflated price at the moment.

But right now, Legendary is ALL I want to play and I am really excited about what I have missed over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting into Dicemasters killed it for me. I loved how Dicemasters got the rights to use actual art from the comics, and kept it current rather than the seemingly never ending 90s nostalgia that legendary kept recycling. Plus faster setup/teardown and no shuffling in dice masters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play (though not very often), and I still autobuy the expansions as they come out. However, I'm starting to get a bit fatigued. So much to store and lug around, and so many choices, the game has gotten... big. Which is part of what I've always loved and wanted: The Marvel Universe in a box... but there may end up being limits.

All of that being said, World War Hulk is a FANTASTIC expansion and does breathe some new life into the game, just like X-Men did before it. So as long as they continue to keep it fun, I'll probably hang around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Sam. I play almost always solo and ML is the game I play most often. I have all the expansions except the Villains line. WWH should be enroute to my house today. I enjoy the simplicity and variety of the play. I stopped reading comic books back in the '70s, so am not familiar with the story lines of the heroes, but that does not matter because I really like the art work on the cards, and the play is the thing, not the store lines behind the play.

I am near saturation level, however. I will probably forego new expansions after WWH, unless they have some especially intriguing new keywords or currencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.