12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: After The End (Exod games) - October 23rd on Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A F
msg tools
mbmb
Hello everyone, and welcome to this topic.

I'm here to present you a new board game with miniatures that is coming soon on Kickstarter: After The End. The campaign starts the October 23rd and ends the November 23rd 2018.

Remember that it is a brief overview of what the game has to offer; more information will be uploaded soon.

Lore

One century after a cataclysm called "The End", civilizations collapsed, and humanity is no more than a relic of the past. Earth is now a block of ice, hostile and ruthless. Seeking a solution to survive, survivors have built underground cities called "The Mines" to protect them against bandits, blizzard, predators, and many other treats worse than death.

The action takes place around the ruins of Chicago. In the ice ten months per years, the city abounds of precious resources. When the Dawn awakes, the ice melt, and the streets are practicable again for only two months.

You play as survivors, who go to search for resources and (especially) answers about The End.

The Dawn. The icy doors of Chicago are open, once again.

Concept & box

After The End is a 1-5 players (14+) board game with miniatures. Each game last between 45 and 90 min, depending the type of scenario you play.

The core game cost 100$ and includes:

50 miniatures
450 cards
16 boards
12 scenarios
20 side quests
(+ Stretch goals, of course)

Miniatures

5 heroes with unique abilities & gameplay.
4 clans of bandits, who each have 5 different types of miniatures.
Local fauna, and many other dangerous being.
Troops of Monarch, the robotic ruler of all the territory.

Lily, the ingenious hacker and her combat drone. Work in progress.

Cards

Five types of cards, from enemies to resources, will guide you during your journey.

Boards

8 double sided boards

The old factory of Chicago

Mechanics

Action
Fast & easy dice rolling system, fast paced turn action based

Tactical
Cover and height management to take advantage of the terrain

RPG
Storytelling features influenced by players’ decisions. Inventory/loot/experience/ability system.

After The End is a "not so cooperative" game where you will have to fight to survive. All playable characters have their own background, story and objectives: you may have to choose between teamwork and your personal interests.
In addition to the rulebook, After The End gives you the possibility to create your own stories and adventures thanks to the lore book and special blank cards.

Turn based

After The End is a turn-based game. Survivors (players) choose which of them will start. Then, the game will play its own turn.

Player 1 > Enemy 1 > Player 2 > Enemy 2 > Player 3, etc...

When one of the two factions have played all its characters, the other activates all its own. It is up to you to optimize your turns by choosing wisely the first player.

Loot & craft

During your journey in the depths of Chicago, you will need to equip yourself solidly. Fortunately, your predecessors have left many weapons and resources that can be used to defend yourself or heal your wounds.

Find precious resources and combine them to increase their effects.

Between each game, you will have the possibility to trade your loot and create some items thanks to the Seller Board, and the Black Market Board.

That's all for the moment. I hope you enjoyed this brief overview of our destructed world. Many information will arrive soon.

Makojin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Makojin wrote:
Hello everyone, and welcome to this topic. (snip)

imageid=4230077medium

Makojin

Tip: Add the word 'medium' after the image number. You can see what I did by looking above...

Q about the game: Size of expected play area? I often cannot play some games (I'm mostly a solo player) due to my limited play space.

Otherwise, looks interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A F
msg tools
mbmb
Hey, that's much better ! Thank you !

Each board is 25x25 and scenarios take place in a 4 boards areas (like the picture in description), so you can expect a 50x50 cm area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warpunk Studios
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
What a cool genre choice, post-holocaust weather calamity and struggle. Great cover pic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A F
msg tools
mbmb
I am glad you enjoyed the preview.

If you missed the news, we recently published on the After The End Facebook page another playable character : Jack, the renegade cyborg.

Best,

Makojin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Makojin, are you Antonin who I spoke to at the BGF last weekend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A F
msg tools
mbmb
Nope ! But i work with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Casale
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
Hi. The concept looks VERY cool...but I'm a bit concerned that the press release itself had several minor spelling and grammar errors. It doesn't speak well of the upcoming KS, to have mistakes like that.

My first thought was that the creator might be from overseas, but the BGG user who posted the press release is listed as being in California.

One recent Kickstarter, "Tombed," failed because many people were commenting that the Kickstarter page and the rule book PDF were riddled with spelling and grammar errors, and they wanted to be sure they would be getting a game with high production values before committing their money. The creator kept assuring his backers that he'd get the rule book professionally translated...AFTER the KS campaign. But his backers kept telling him that wasn't good enough.

PLEASE...don't launch a KS with basic spelling and grammar errors, or publish rules with spelling or grammar mistakes. Get everything professionally proofread BEFORE YOU PUBLISH. You'll get much better KS funding if you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damoncasale wrote:
Hi. The concept looks VERY cool...but I'm a bit concerned that the press release itself had several minor spelling and grammar errors. It doesn't speak well of the upcoming KS, to have mistakes like that.

My first thought was that the creator might be from overseas, but the BGG user who posted the press release is listed as being in California.

One recent Kickstarter, "Tombed," failed because many people were commenting that the Kickstarter page and the rule book PDF were riddled with spelling and grammar errors, and they wanted to be sure they would be getting a game with high production values before committing their money. The creator kept assuring his backers that he'd get the rule book professionally translated...AFTER the KS campaign. But his backers kept telling him that wasn't good enough.

PLEASE...don't launch a KS with basic spelling and grammar errors, or publish rules with spelling or grammar mistakes. Get everything professionally proofread BEFORE YOU PUBLISH. You'll get much better KS funding if you do!

+1 it is a common mistake, but costs you backers. There have been other games, which did end up funding, with SG's even, that were French originally, and translated (or "traduced" as they so often say) in English, but it wasn't good. They could have doubled their backers with proper English translations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A F
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Thank you for your warnings, this is a real problem.

As a french (and not Californian, I corrected), my english is not perfect and some errors are unpleasant. Sorry for my mistakes: the campaign page will be as perfect as it can be (corrected by better english writers than me, of course).

What I can say, is that we will not publish the rule book if we are not sure that it is 100% correct in english. We are correcting it actually, and I hope it will be ready for the very begining of the campaign.If it is not, we will work on it until it is.

But I agree, promises are probably not enough for backers, that is why we work hard on this subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's a good step. Just make sure those translated English rules are online when the KS goes live, because backers are going to want to read them before backing.

And another important thing is to have a gameplay video, even if you're just showing 10 minute parts (sections that are interesting cut out of a whole playthrough, because 1.5 hours is way too long) of interesting things that happen in the game. People want to see how it plays.

All in English

It's challenging, I know, but it can make the difference between getting 50 US backers or 500.
Just look at other French games on KS: the comments section is 80% French. It deters English speaking backers. Examples:

Hollywood Death Race: translations are okay, but many pop cult references are translated strangely. French word-humour does not translate well into English. comments: French. They did their best to make the page English, and have some videos as well, but if it weren't for those, they'd have little to no English/US backers.

OrcQuest Warpath: kept the comments in English as much as they could, which helped. Still, there were complaints because they did not have English rules and no gameplay videos early on when the KS went live.

Both games funded, but could have had so much more funds and stretch goals if managed better. They did well, to be sure, but they could have done GREAT instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A F
msg tools
mbmb
The campaign is now live ! And... it's laborious.

We are aware of the several mistakes made during the first hours of the campaign. We read each comment, and we listen remarks and suggestions very carefully. We are currently working on corrections to offer you a pleasant campaign.

A big thanks to those we backed the game, we will continue to work on it.

You will hear from us very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.