Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance of a mini expansion for Pluto?

I was also thinking about a space telescope component that you could launch to Earth Orbit. Maybe it could find new big Locations using the Stations Location deck mechanic once per turn. Perhaps with alpha, beta, delta draw decks based on the location of the space telescope being in Earth Orbit, or somewhere else (I was thinking IPT or OPT, but stuff is lost there at the end of each year.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a space telescope concept in the works for an asteroids expansion, so these should work together well.

Pluto would probably only be visitable once per game at most, so you'd need other things to do with it and any other trans-Neptunian objects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

That's the same problem I had with trying to think of what to "do" with the location if Pluto was in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'ld want sensor missions or location discovery cards such as planet,planetoid,charon, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, discovery/survey missions for Pluto, other TNOs, and asteroids could be a good set, with fly-by missions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember talking about this topic in other threads before, I even made some suggestions on the subject

Also the subject of space telescopes, which could be modified, with several elements (lenses, antennas, cameras, ...)

Although I have not yet been able to play LE: Stations (lack of time), I look forward to news of this expansion.

Offtopic: was not a game about artic exploration also in development?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalesin wrote:
Also the subject of space telescopes, which could be modified, with several elements (lenses, antennas, cameras, ...)
Gyroscopes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kalesin wrote:
Offtopic: was not a game about artic exploration also in development?

Yes, I've been working on a game about the early Antarctic explorers, but it's been on hold till I have some laser cutting time available. (The location tiles fit together differently based on the shape of their edges.)

In the meantime, I've been working on a card game about the chaotic mess of Taisho-era Japan (1910s-1920s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:

In the meantime, I've been working on a card game about the chaotic mess of Taisho-era Japan (1910s-1920s).

Anxious to have more information, although my favorite historical period is Feudal Japan, this approach can be very interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kalesin wrote:
buffalohat wrote:

Anxious to have more information, although my favorite historical period is Feudal Japan, this approach can be very interesting!

It's a game about trying to run a Japan that's running off the rails. The term "government by assassination" talks about this era. You're trying to manage a clique of statesmen and secret societies, trying to further your vision of Japan. Of course they keep dying on you, and the other Great Powers want to take away your colonial opportunities, and those communists...

Though we should probably move this discussion elsewhere on BGG. It's starting to lose its focus on Pluto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:

Though we should probably move this discussion elsewhere on BGG. It's starting to lose its focus on Pluto.

Ok, but tell us where you create thread about this new "Taisho" game.

As for the new expansion, in addition to Space Telescopes, Pluto, the Kuiper Belt, Trans-Neptunian Objects, Asteroids and I hope Comets ... there are plans to have Earth installations (Earth Telescopes, Radiotelescopes, etc ... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the obvious starting point would be the forums under Joseph Fatula
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started a thread to discuss the Taisho game if anyone's interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An rather old proposal for the even more outer planets:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1778211/pluto-triton-mirand...
When a minor bodies / ice giant / TNO expansion is being designed, I would like to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Yep, discovery/survey missions for Pluto, other TNOs, and asteroids could be a good set, with fly-by missions as well.

1. Challenging the status of a planet. With telescopes and a possibility of discovery of planet X (e.g. Eris) you can change the planetary status of Pluto, making some of Pluto missions unavailable and replaced with TNO missions instead.
2. By making a one-off decision to flyby either Pluto or Triton (as it was in reality for Voyager 2), there is challenge in this late decision alone. Again, threat of a planetary status may pose a role here.
3. Nuclear propulsion (NERVA, Orion) could make these mission more feasible at the high cost of technology (many outcomes, more catastrophic major failures than just a rocket destruction).
4. Aerobraking is still possible at Pluto using inflated shields due to the height of its atmosphere. Pluto, being cold, is a perfect place for a telescope.
5. At least Triton has been thought to contain nitrogen oceans - one of the moon's tile should reflect this. Also nobody expected Pluto to be so complex as it is understood now.
6. It was also uncertain if ice giants had solid surfaces or not (ice? diamond? floating solid hydrocarbons?) - this alone is an invitation to give a surfaced Neptune a try (imagine a lander mission!).
7. With Stations expansion it is possible to concieve a one-way manned mission using Space Habitat for a Manned Flyby of Uranus and Neptune (and Pluto) possible without losing people if a tile "Heliopause" is created for study.
8. A Pluto/Ice expansion might bring some extra material for Outer Planets like features and some bonus missions (HOPE-like Callisto Occupation). Subsurface oceans as additional tiles and more focused Explorer components (planes, ice crackers) could come in handy.
9. Not only alien life could be searched but also exotic chemistry or materials - using missions dedicated to localize and sample them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
3. Nuclear propulsion (NERVA, Orion) could make these mission more feasible at the high cost of technology (many outcomes, more catastrophic major failures than just a rocket destruction).
A while back I made a proposal for a NERVA-style (S-IVN) upper stage:

Na-na-na-na Nuclear Rockets

As far as I know it hasn't seen much testing, but it might be a useful starting point. (It pre-dates Leaving Earth: Stations but compatibility shouldn't be a major problem.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.