Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Is anyone else bothered by how new Monoliths look like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb



I mean, I get it, there are dozens of more serious questions to ask with regards to this campaign. But this particular thing irks me. It feels weird, out of place and not really following what I know about monoliths. As if they had to changed it "just because".

Now, monolith, roughly speaking is a single massive stone or rock, either created by nature, or shaped by a human and built in form of a statue.

If you want to ride with me on some rock travel, hop on and go see http://www.touropia.com/largest-monoliths-in-the-world/.

For others, this - in general - is how monolith looks like. This is famous Uluru rock or Ayers rock in Australia.



Now, today, when not strictly speaking about nature formations, monolith is usually a tall geometric shape, sometimes polished, usually (though not necessarily) in form of an extruded rectangle - convex polyhedron or cuboid - usually with much more height than width. In other words, this:



Here, it's a three-monolith statue in Iceland, built by and for EVE Online, multiplayer space MMO video game players. Their names are carved on it.

Having a wacky piece of stone almost toppled over doesn't feel like monolith to me. It feels like something out of place, even for space. I mean, just looking at it, I can see it should just topple over and crash. There's no weight support for that kind of stone :/

Actually, when you take a look at some custom 3rd party monolith pieces for Eclipse, they are all straight cuboids, partly because that's what the Eclipse 1st icon (rightly) suggests, but partly, I guess, because that's what people see in their minds, when they think monolith:





At this point, all I can do is throw my hands in the air and ask - why? Why, the heck, someone thought it would be cool to have this bizarre design?

Was it to actually invalidate the 3rd party minis already available on the market? Because that's really the only reason I can think of.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NEW. FAVORITE. COMPLAINT ABOUT SECOND DAWN.

rattkin wrote:
Now, today, when not strictly speaking about nature formations, monolith is usually a tall geometric shape, sometimes polished, usually (though not necessarily) in form of an extruded rectangle - convex polyhedron or cuboid - usually with much more height than width.

Damn it all to hell, Travis, do they not even have dictionaries available for the best influencers in the biz?

laugh

but seriously "the monoliths bother me because definition of monolith" is just silly

Quote:
In other words, this:



Here, it's a three-monolith statue in Iceland, built by and for EVE Online, multiplayer space MMO video game players. Their names are carved on it.

Wow, as if I didn't find serious EVE-O players insufferable as it is...they built three literal e-penises. Out of stone and metal.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is no “up” in space...I figured the monoliths were just floating.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even tell if this thread is serious or not - but I think the new monolith minis look sweet as hell.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Always assumed they were floating in space, not tipping over.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, and always has been, a reference to the monoliths in 2001 a Space Odyssey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_(Space_Odyssey\)



This is just that but falling over.
22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Definitely a nod to 2001 Space Odyssey. I like them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't a fan of the cracked looked either but I have those acrylic ones for first edition that I might use. It doesn't make a lot of sense that something you just built is all messed up, and besides monoliths from stuff like space odyssey were flawless millions of years later right?

It isn't important.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I assumed it was a 2001 reference as well. "My God... it's full of stars."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sir_edwardo wrote:
Well, there is no “up” in space...I figured the monoliths were just floating.


I admit this bothered me as well; however, as Sir Edwardo put it: There is no "up" in space.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen L
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnalignedMagi wrote:
I wasn't a fan of the cracked looked either but I have those acrylic ones for first edition that I might use. It doesn't make a lot of sense that something you just built is all messed up, and besides monoliths from stuff like space odyssey were flawless millions of years later right?

It isn't important.


I thought that same exact thing, until I realized that this isn’t something “built” as much as it is “carved”. That’s how it would look if you took a solid piece of a mineral with natural imperfections and shaved it into that monolith shape. It’s not “cracked”, so much as showing the natural imperfections of the material used.

Also, it isn’t important
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just imagine them painted up to be reflecting the galactic universe all around them. The chips and cracks caused by space debris impact or meteors bouncing off it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike B Canada wrote:
Just imagine them painted up to be reflecting the galactic universe all around them. The chips and cracks caused by space debris impact or meteors bouncing off it.


I might put a gloss finish on them just to make this effect more real.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Is anyone else bothered by how new Monoliths look like?

Not really.

I'd rather have them make the race's faces looks less bland and uninspiring.
With so many great artists out here .. is that all they could come up with? Very dispappointing.

I guess we all have our pet peeves.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preet Tohvi
msg tools
I'm guessing that the idea behind the tilting was to make them look more interesting and dynamic than a vertical cuboid.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Preet wrote:
I'm guessing that the idea behind the tilting was to make them look more interesting and dynamic than a vertical cuboid.

Yup, seem pretty obvious to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
rattkin wrote:
Is anyone else bothered by how new Monoliths look like?

Not really.

I'd rather have them make the race's faces looks less bland and uninspiring.
With so many great artists out here .. is that all they could come up with? Very dispappointing.

I guess we all have our pet peeves.


That’s my problem too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sir_edwardo wrote:
Well, there is no “up” in space...I figured the monoliths were just floating.


Right. Floating monolith. In space. Traveling endlessly on its own orbit as a rotating chunk of metal. That's... an interesting concept.

Quote:
but seriously "the monoliths bother me because definition of monolith" is just silly


They bother me because it makes no sense that they would look like this - even in space - no matter the name. The name just provides even more disconnection.

And yeah, of course it's a pet peeve, I've made it clear from the start. It's one of those things that were perfectly fine in the first game and they had to, just had to mess it up for unknown reason :/

UnalignedMagi wrote:
It isn't important.


Yeah, it isn't. But you know, the devil's in the details. When we will look at it in the game, it will stand on a tile, using it's own base. We know all the ships are also in space, but we don't put them on the side, or upside down. Couldn't the monolith also stand upright and then the "well, it's rotating in space" be outsourced to a rulebook or something? :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
sir_edwardo wrote:
Well, there is no “up” in space...I figured the monoliths were just floating.


Right. Floating monolith. In space. Traveling endlessly on its own orbit as a rotating chunk of metal. That's... an interesting concept.

Pretty sure it's canon if we're talking about "a space odyssey". Not a new concept - some were unearthed, some were in orbit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm... then I'm definitely missing something here. Can you point me to the source material, then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Hm... then I'm definitely missing something here. Can you point me to the source material, then?

Already done in this thread:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_(Space_Odyssey)

I'd provide links to buy the books, but I figure you can choose your own retailer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Hm... then I'm definitely missing something here. Can you point me to the source material, then?


2001? A Space Odyssey? One of the most influential science fiction movies of all time? By Stanley Kubrick based on a story by Arthur C. Clarke? Is that the source material you are missing out on?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film)

This is why monoliths are called monoliths in Eclipse.

Edit: (Sorry for the second, identical link. I'm just, uh, I don't even know what).

Further Edit: My apologies for the incredulous outburst of ethnocentricity in this post, realizing that the OP is likely not a native English speaker, and so it isn't *that* unlikely that he has never seen 2001. But still, it is kind of like not knowing what Star Wars is.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, guilty as charged. I've long forgotten about this. In my mind, Clarke's monolith were all grounded, but that's not true, apparently. I've seen monolith used in other games (video games) as upright cuboid, that I sort of pushed out that original image. I saw the movie and read the books long, long time ago.

That makes the reference far more justified, granted. I still don't like the fact that the mini and icon looks how they look like. I just needed to get it off my chest and I've just found nice monolith pictures :). No drama intended, that's really a minor thing, but nevertheless another pebble in the basket of 2nd edition annoyances.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the novels it is never really explained WHY the aliens built monoliths, but now we know: VP!
11 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.