BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Cloth player boards for Azul (or any game, if wanted) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was bothered by the fact that Azul was so big, making it difficult to transport (read: taking up a lot of space). The main reason for the size, were the player boards.

This made me think, and with some help on the Azul forum, I came to the conclusion that transfer paper and ironing the design on cloth was the easiest, cheapest and fastest solution available.

I found the PDF rules online, extracted the player board and started manipulating the location of things, so the design would fit on an A4-page, without altering the size of the spots for tiles (since the tiles can't be resized!)

Note: I have asked Next Move Games permission to share the file. As soon as I've done that, I will share it in the files section of Azul.

I did some size testing before printing on the transfer paper:

After that, I got going with the transfer paper:

The printed pages

Here we go

Easy does it

Taking breaks (to take the previous picture) is not a good idea. It makes a kind of fold or line in the middle.

Testing

Inside the bag

Ready to play!

All in all it worked pretty good and I'm looking forward to trying it out. The colors got a bit too vibrant, so next time (and as a tip to anyone attempting the same), I am going to lighten the print with about 10%. I guess the "paper" it was printed on, made the colors too deep.

Also, I found out it's better to roll them, than to fold them, since it's not really cloth, but a small plastic layer melted on top. Rolling prevents folds.

I only ruined one player board, because I read online you could iron a normal sheet of paper on top of it, to make a protective layer. However, that didn't work with my transfer paper, so it melted the blank sheet of paper on top of the print, simply destroying it. So at the moment, I'm stuck at 3 player boards, haha! I'm going to reprint one today, and finish the project tonight.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Very nice Robbert. Which version of the game do you have? The board looks different to mine which is square. Did you also make cloth versions of the discs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Chillman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are awesome! I can totally see how these will immediately make more games easier to haul about.

Also, I can see this maybe being a nice cheap answer to the poor Terraforming Mars player boards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Very nice Robbert. Which version of the game do you have? The board looks different to mine which is square. Did you also make cloth versions of the discs?

I have the Scandinavian version, with the square boards. I had to manipulate them (found the board in the digital manual, manipulated it in Photoshop) to make it fit on an A4.

I have asked Next Move Games for permission to share the ready-to-print file, but haven't gotten a answer yet.

No, I have not made a cloth version of the discs, since those are small enough to fit in the bag But it'd be easy to make!

I am considering making a "middle tile" though, since I feel that's missing in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Ahh so that's why. Having the discs would have the benefit of making the game weather resistant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Ahh so that's why. Having the discs would have the benefit of making the game weather resistant

True! I didn't even think about that

The fact that these player boards can be washed at 40°C, makes them pretty water resistant, haha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
I only ruined one player board, because I read online you could iron a normal sheet of paper on top of it, to make a protective layer. However, that didn't work with my transfer paper, so it melted the blank sheet of paper on top of the print, simply destroying it. So at the moment, I'm stuck at 3 player boards, haha! I'm going to reprint one today, and finish the project tonight.

this might be due to miscommunication on if its an ink or laser print. I've run in to some project techniques like this before and they typically only work with one type of printer.

Anyways, nice work and thanks for the post sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
rvervuurt wrote:

this might be due to miscommunication on if its an ink or laser print. I've run in to some project techniques like this before and they typically only work with one type of printer.

Anyways, nice work and thanks for the post sharing!

Oh no no, it's not like that! The paper I printed was perfect and when I transferred it with the iron, it was also perfect.

However, I saw a YT-video with a different kind of transfer paper (I didn't know they existed), where he added a protective layer by ironing some plain paper on top of it. This should add a small layer of fiber, but because of the material I used, it just melted together with the A4, totally ruining it, haha

As we use in the IT world: RTFM. If I did that, I wouldn't have made the mistake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Robbert!

I'm an artist and colorist for Marvel, and if you don't mind if I gave you a quick piece of advice regarding the coloring, instead of lightening the print, reduce the saturation. The colors look vibrant because they are overexposed. The other indicator of high saturation is that your "darks" look too dark.

I would reduce the saturation by around 15-20% and see how it looks. Sometimes this will look flat but with as high saturation that it is now, you could actually benefit from it.

All in all its a great idea and I hope to see more photos if you decide to do more.

What did you end up doing for the circle offers templates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sebathius wrote:
Hey Robbert!

I'm an artist and colorist for Marvel, and if you don't mind if I gave you a quick piece of advice regarding the coloring, instead of lightening the print, reduce the saturation. The colors look vibrant because they are overexposed. The other indicator of high saturation is that your "darks" look too dark.

I would reduce the saturation by around 15-20% and see how it looks. Sometimes this will look flat but with as high saturation that it is now, you could actually benefit from it.

All in all its a great idea and I hope to see more photos if you decide to do more.

What did you end up doing for the circle offers templates?

Good tip, thanks! I printed the 4th player board the same way, to be consistent, but the next time, I'll try to lower the saturation. I'm pretty sure the transfer paper made the colors too vibrant, because I printed normally.

Also, the yellows are stuck to the paper, as you can see in the picture where I had removed half of the protective paper, which makes all colors become darker I guess.

I have not decided for the factory circles yet. But it's probably going to be one bigger middle circle, with space for the 9 factory circles around the board.

To prevent the small circles from flying away when playing in a windy area, I am considering either small magnets, or snap fasteners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Or adding them to the central 'board' perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a 2 or 3 player game, you don't use all factory tiles, so it could be confusing, if all 9 were visible in those games.

I'm considering these fasteners. 1cm in diameter:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

This got me thinking of another way to make the game more portable....

12 notched wooden sticks (or dowels) per player. 6 vertical and 6 horizontal to build a 5x5 lattice. Tiles pending placement to just form loose rows on the left side.

Toss in some mini poker chips for scoring.

Of course that only works for "blank side" style play, unles I think of some elaborate coloring scheme for the sticks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Santos
Portugal
S. Domingos Rana
Cascais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be awesome to apply to Nations. A huge box just because de playerboards don't fold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nunesh wrote:
This would be awesome to apply to Nations. A huge box just because de playerboards don't fold!

Great point!

Does anyone know if there is already any sort of repository for these kinds of files? Or plans to make one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bagley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have 'Backpacks and Blisters' a Ragnar Brothers game based on hiking in the English Lake District. The "map" comes printed on a tea-towel. Light and convenient to carry, but it needs frequent ironing (or a perspex sheet) to make it sit flat on the table.
PS: They warn you not to use the tea-towel for navigation on the hills!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Loo
United States
Line Lexington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If numbers were added to the factory displays, "3" for inclusion in 3 player games and "4" for inclusion in 4 player games, you could put all nine displays on the cloth. Leaving 5 blank since they are always used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andybagley wrote:
I have 'Backpacks and Blisters' a Ragnar Brothers game based on hiking in the English Lake District. The "map" comes printed on a tea-towel. Light and convenient to carry, but it needs frequent ironing (or a perspex sheet) to make it sit flat on the table.

Looks like 'perspex' is what we in the US call plexiglass. Carrying around a sheet of that to flatten your map would defeat the compactness purpose of having a roll-up map, wouldn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Busch
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hexahedron wrote:
andybagley wrote:

Looks like 'perspex' is what we in the US call plexiglass. Carrying around a sheet of that to flatten your map would defeat the compactness purpose of having a roll-up map, wouldn't it?

An alternative covering you should consider is a cut-to-size clear acetate sheet (available at art supply or hobby/craft stores). A thinner mil (thickness) could be held in place over the cloth with tape at the corners, or if using a heavier mil it would likely be heavy enough to hold everything in place without tape. Either type would be thin enough to roll up along with the cloth in one roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheri LL
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow those look really nice! Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael colbert
msg tools
mbmbmb
PedroX wrote:
hexahedron wrote:
andybagley wrote:

An alternative covering you should consider is a cut-to-size clear acetate sheet (available at art supply or hobby/craft stores). A thinner mil (thickness) could be held in place over the cloth with tape at the corners, or if using a heavier mil it would likely be heavy enough to hold everything in place without tape. Either type would be thin enough to roll up along with the cloth in one roll.

reminding me of the first edition of Triplanetary

michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea, thanks for sharing!

I wonder how well contact paper (clear plastic sticky sheets) on top of the iron on transfer (after it's in place and done, would work?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can you give me specs on the transfer paper?

also what type of printer/ink/does it matter?

you did not have to do anything to the edges? if you cut where the transfer paper is they did not fray?

looks like you just used 100% cotton bleached muslin? fabric it seems must be finely woven to get such a solid result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
candio wrote:
can you give me specs on the transfer paper?

also what type of printer/ink/does it matter?

you did not have to do anything to the edges? if you cut where the transfer paper is they did not fray?

looks like you just used 100% cotton bleached muslin? fabric it seems must be finely woven to get such a solid result.

Just bought transfer paper that worked with an inkjet printer. But I'm pretty sure you can get transfer paper for any kind of printer.

Bought it in A4, but the player boards are smaller. Just ironed the whole thing on and cut along the edges. No fraying (yet?).

Yea, it was 100% cotton. I just bought a pillow case. I don't think it was super finely woven, since the transfer paper basically just puts a layer of plastic on the cotton, it's not like the ink is really transferred to the cotton, it's a whole layer

lovemyfire wrote:

I wonder how well contact paper (clear plastic sticky sheets) on top of the iron on transfer (after it's in place and done, would work?

Thanks!

Could you explain what you mean? Would you add contact paper, to protect it even more, or how should I read your post?

leonbloo wrote:
If numbers were added to the factory displays, "3" for inclusion in 3 player games and "4" for inclusion in 4 player games, you could put all nine displays on the cloth. Leaving 5 blank since they are always used.

Good idea! The main problem is: I don't know if I can fit those 9 factory tiles and a middle-tile on one A4, so I will have to order A3 paper in order to do that.

Annowme wrote:
Nunesh wrote:

Great point!

Does anyone know if there is already any sort of repository for these kinds of files? Or plans to make one?

I would love to start a repository/geeklist with items like these, but as long as something is made with graphics they (probably) copyrighted, I don't know if I should

Thanks for all the thumbs everyone! It makes me want to try it with more games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:
lovemyfire wrote:

Thanks!

Could you explain what you mean? Would you add contact paper, to protect it even more, or how should I read your post?

Yes, to protect it more. My thought is to add contact paper after you've already done the iron-on transfer. I'm just curious if it would be beneficial or cause problems. If I ever try this iron-on method I'll have to test it with contact paper too.

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.