Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
After playing AGot a lot during its CCG days and just dabbling a bit in its newer incarnations I want to show it to a friend of mine who is an avid Magic player.
My time is very limited and thus I can't afford building and testing several decks to make sure that they are all balanced against each other and offer a fair and fun gaming experience.

I am aware of the coming house decks (and will probaby buy them), but I don't want to wait that long until I can introduce the game to a new player.

I own two cores and all the deluxe boxes released so far (plus the odd chapter pack or two) and as each of the deluxes comes with two preconstructed deck lists I wonder if those decks might be a viable option? And yes, I know that I can't build too many of those with just two cores as they require playsets of essential locations and also use the same plots, but having just 2-3 decks should be enough for a start. I am not looking for the most competetive decks, but for decks that play well against each other and highlight different playstyles.

Are these 10 decks published so far well balanced against each other? And if not, which ones do you feel are stronger than others?

These are the ten decks:
1. Wolves Of Winter
2. Family, Duty, Honor
3. Iron Loyalties
4. You Win Or You Die
5. Defending The Wall
6. Taking The Black
7. Steel Thorns
8. Forging The Chain
9. His Viper Eyes
10. The Long Plan

Thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cope
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Michael-

I can't answer your specific question, but I can add that I've had good luck teaching the game with the following two demo decks:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition...

They aren't tournament-legal but they're fairly balanced against each other. This demo deck:

...also is a decent matchup against the above Lannister deck if Stark is preferred.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If your goal is only to introduce/teach/demo, then those decks are entirely suitable. They're casual level decks, so you could even play some really good games with those decks at the casual level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I guess I can use those decks - though I would prefer the standard deck sizes.

It seems like nobody actually plays the preconstructed decks suggested in the deluxe boxes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanjajoral wrote:
Thanks for the input. I guess I can use those decks - though I would prefer the standard deck sizes.

It seems like nobody actually plays the preconstructed decks suggested in the deluxe boxes?

Ah, I thought it was those decks that you're talking about. They're regulation size, aren't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regulation size?

Those intro decks have a 40 card deck, a 5 card Plot deck and also don't run an agenda. I would prefer the standard deck sizes, at least for the plot deck (more choices during gameplay) and I also think that adding different agendas would highlight that element of the game nicely. As the friend I want to introduce the game too is well versed in card games (regular FNM attendee and plans to participate in a GP this summer) I am sure he can handle this additional layer of strategy.

My question was about the deck lists provided in the deluxe boxes and if they are balanced against each other, but apparently they don't see enough/any play to really tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wanjajoral wrote:
Regulation size?

Those intro decks have a 40 card deck, a 5 card Plot deck and also don't run an agenda.

Somewhere along the way in this thread, we got past each other. I'm talking about the the decks you listed in your OP. All are standard 60 card decks with seven (or 12) plots cards.

I just pulled my copy off the shelf to look at the rulesheets for "Lions of Casterly Rock" and "Watchers on the Wall". The pre-constructed decks listed in those sheets (the same as you listed in your OP: decks 3,4,5,6) each use exactly 60 cards and seven plot cards (except "You Win or You Die" lists 12 Plot cards due to its Agenda).

My first response was to your OP - not to Stephen's reply. Maybe that's where the confusion lay? Anyway, as a matter of practice, unless I'm responding to the OP, then I always quote the comment that I'm responding to. Without a quote, then I just assumed it's understood that I'm responding to the OP. I think I need to re-think that assumption!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. Ok, I got it.
Yes, those decks are standard sized.
Going through the CardgamesDB examples suggested above I built the three 40 card decks (Targ, Stark and Lannister). And with just two cores I already had to substitute a few odd cards here and there, so building all three of these decks as 60 card versions would not work with just two cores and the deluxes, so I will keep them at 40 cards for now. As a side benefit - those smaller decks fit nicely in the starter boxes of the CCG from many years ago, which hold (unsleeved) 50 cards.
But I have added two more plots to each deck, so at least that part is now following the deckbuilding rules.
Looking through the agendas available to me (core+deluxes), the selection is not overwhealming. I don't want to run any banners (to highlight the character of each house instead of mixing them right away). Fealty would be a good choice, but the other ones don't look equally well suited for an intro game, so I guess I won't use any agendas for the first games.

I think all of these issues wil disappear once the intro decks hit the shelfs. I am really looking forward to those and think that FFG should have such products for all their card games from now on.

Thanks to y'all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.