Hide
7 Posts

Adrenaline» Forums » Variants

Subject: combining 2 games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Simmonds
msg tools
So how crazy am I for considering buying another copy of the game to play up to 10 players?
Initial thoughts:
-Paint the minis different colors, like red -struct-OR, White doomguy, etc.
-Then each pair would be a team, players sitting across the table from one another.
-Put 2 (4) game boards together and either treat spawnpoints as jump pads or add new jump pads, in order to connect the levels.
-Some sort of mechanic to avoid too much downtime in turns, I was thinking of: 2 team roles, striker and support. Striker has normal 2 actions and after/at the same time striker takes his turn, support can do a single one of the normal actions. Striker moves clockwise between players, and support follows on the opposite side.
-Friendly fire mechanic of some sort, maybe something like if you have a secondary or tertiary target option unfulfilled and your ally is in the threatened area you have to affect them, Prime example would be vortex gun so you have to plan a bit to not hurt your teammate.
-For odd player counts maybe you could have a Frenzied single player team?

Just thought I'd jot these ideas down and see what people though. Just got the game last week and it's incredible. Super easy to teach, fast, and some really unique mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Friendly fire mechanic of some sort, maybe something like if you have a secondary or tertiary target option unfulfilled and your ally is in the threatened area you have to affect them, Prime example would be vortex gun so you have to plan a bit to not hurt your teammate.

Hitting your team mates is a good thing. If you could damage yourself in this game that would be great. It is area control, right now the one area you can't control is yourself, you can never score when you die, if you just had 1 damage on you it would still be worth 1-2 points, and in my experience an extra 2-4 points decides the victor.

I think the biggest problem you might encounter is the downtime. I already think that this game should possibly be played with a 30 second timer, it is a lot of fun, and the more players the better, but you do find yourself sitting there and waiting quite often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Martinez
msg tools
mbmbmb
yeeees, crazy, but like it!!!! good idea!devildevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Simmonds
msg tools
I forgot to mention I was considering making friendly fire markers different tokens, and worth -1 to the team. You don't think the double active players would help? With 10, it should be effectively the same as 5 players in terms of downtime, granted the supports only get a single action but they're doing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look it might, but since you are having both teammates play at the same time, you are giving each turn more actions then normal (3), which creates more possibilities.
Suddenly if I can hit a player so that he is pushed back into your line of fire there is a combo to be made, but you have to see it, or discuss it, it could create a longer game since optimizing your moves becomes more (time consuming/interesting/complicated/all of the above).

I am not saying this won't be fun, it very well could be. I think the people you play with will highly define how fun it is.

I do think that the game could benefit from a larger map, right now we barely use the run action, you can get almost anywhere with the move and pickup, and later the adrenalined shooting. A larger map could create some evasive maneuvering.
I think you could probably try your variant without buying an extra game.
Also keep in mind that a team game is part of the expansion that is coming (soon?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Simmonds
msg tools
Yeah I saw the expansion has some cool stuff planned, and this isn't something I'm planning on doing right away. I just got the game and really like it, just something I'm thinking of for the future. Also the game would benefit from multiple copies of weapons I think, another reason to get a second copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that each weapon is unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.