15 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Would you recommend this for my group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Fatman
msg tools
mbmb
Its $25 now and my group isnt Min/Max power gamers. Is this game still too broken or should I give it a go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's well worth a try. Amazing highs and lows. Grab the player aid that changes along with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it a go. Well worth $25. We've all spent that much or more on worse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, in terms of complexity, how would you compare it to Charterstone? (I know, different beasts, just looking for a very high-level assessment )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, you will not be able to play the game without referencing these forums quite a bit, but those usually come up as you are adding things in, the first parts of the game are fairly straight forward. I'd say that you would get your money's worth from just a time perspective, just make sure that you group is ok with some rules ambiguity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We are almost done with it and have had a blast. Really glad I got it to the table. It's unique and ambitious and fun and surprising.

Players need to be okay with:

Having to stop a game to look up rules or make peace with a judgement call
Downtime between turns
Making choices without knowing all the consequences before hand
Surprises mid game that totally mess up your plans
Attacking each other
Unintended consequences
Taking several turns to set something up and then rolling poorly and really getting screwed over because of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh G
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
The biggest gripe I have with this game is the incredibly swingy glory bonuses in the mid-to-late game. It'll often look as though the race is tight and then someone will score a bunch of glory and immediately end the game, seemingly out of nowhere before you can react.

This can be frustrating for the other players because you often spend the entire game trying to achieve something only to fall short because you didn't do it fast enough, so your efforts end up being for nothing.

Our group took a very casual approach to the game though based on others' experiences shared here, so in our case if it looked like someone was about to do something cool, but fell short because someone else won, we'd play out another turn to let them do the thing they wanted to do with the caveat that if it somehow gave them more points than the winner, the glory would only count for campaign totals.

The other big issue is that to stop a runaway winner, you often have to go out of your way to attack them, but doing so comes with the price of handing out enmity, which they can then use against you or be difficult to take back, particularly if it becomes a sticker.

There's a lot to love about Seafall, notably the storyline, but it has tremendous flaws that can only be overcome by a relaxed attitude toward the competitive elements and rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
We are almost done with it and have had a blast. Really glad I got it to the table. It's unique and ambitious and fun and surprising.

Players need to be okay with:

Having to stop a game to look up rules or make peace with a judgement call
Downtime between turns
Making choices without knowing all the consequences before hand
Surprises mid game that totally mess up your plans
Attacking each other
Unintended consequences
Taking several turns to set something up and then rolling poorly and really getting screwed over because of it

ThisN And I will add a few things.

This game takes a long time to play ... easily 2-4 hours per game, with the time getting longer later in the campaign as it takes more glory to win and the game gets more complex.

You need a very dedicated group that will be willing to invest significant time into this game. There are provisions for adding and removing players, but they are far inferior to playing with a consistent group.

This game is nasty at times ... if your group has sensitive members, you may run into some hurt feelings.

For $25, to me, this is a no brainer because even if you hate the game, you will not have lost much, particularly if you all split the cost.

Finally, despite all the negative press, there is a vast majority of gamers out there who really like this game. In my opinion, despite the rules ambiguities and other issues, I think many people soured on the game due to the time commitment, complexity, and perhaps thinking it would be a lighter legacy game like Risk or Pandemic. This is a heavy game.

With all this said, there is a dedicated fan base that will jump at chances to answer your questions so you won't wait long for answers. We also have plowed through the game already so we can steer you clear of pitfalls. Also Becq's Captain's Log is an invaluable resource.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
By the way, in terms of complexity, how would you compare it to Charterstone? (I know, different beasts, just looking for a very high-level assessment )

Charterstone is to Seafall as addition is to Calculus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MFatman wrote:
Its $25 now and my group isnt Min/Max power gamers. Is this game still too broken or should I give it a go?

Get it. Play it after reading the errata here. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keillor
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For $25 it's worth it. For that low price here is what you get:

A few games of thinking, boy people are wrong about this game and we're having a blast.

A couple of nights of wondering if somebody is messing with you and just set the clock ahead an hour while your were playing.

One player may end up missing from your game group post Seafall.

A few nights of waking up in a cold sweat wondering what could have been if the game didn't end quite so quickly. (2 hours is quick, but 5 turns is even quicker)

The nights you don't wake up in a cold sweat will be because you are sound asleep after staying up too late plotting your first(and last) 4 moves for the next game.

May as well print another copy of the manual and put it in the bathroom. And another bedside. And one for each member of the party when you get pissed and say "well if you don't like it look it up yourself!"

The word Enmity will haunt you like Redrum in The Shining.

If you are a sad case like me, you will own 4+ copies of the game and looking for $25 deals on more copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Karhohs
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSKeillor wrote:
If you are a sad case like me, you will own 4+ copies of the game and looking for $25 deals on more copies.

Lol, I’m in the same boat. Everyone once in a while I’ll buy a copy like I’ve got a boardgame bunker I’m prepping for WWIII. Eventually this game will go out of print, but for now, even if you only get through the first box or two I think $25 is worth it. My campaign lasted 14 games, which were 14 game nights of fun for less than $2 a night. This game is fun and fascinating, even if at times frustrating. In the end I’d call it special; a cult classic to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Adams
msg tools
BSKeillor wrote:
For $25 it's worth it. For that low price here is what you get:

A few games of thinking, boy people are wrong about this game and we're having a blast.

A couple of nights of wondering if somebody is messing with you and just set the clock ahead an hour while your were playing.

One player may end up missing from your game group post Seafall.

A few nights of waking up in a cold sweat wondering what could have been if the game didn't end quite so quickly. (2 hours is quick, but 5 turns is even quicker)

The nights you don't wake up in a cold sweat will be because you are sound asleep after staying up too late plotting your first(and last) 4 moves for the next game.

May as well print another copy of the manual and put it in the bathroom. And another bedside. And one for each member of the party when you get pissed and say "well if you don't like it look it up yourself!"

The word Enmity will haunt you like Redrum in The Shining.

Love this reply - completely sums up my thoughts on Seafall. Like most have said - for $25 dollars it is an absolute no-brainier. Yes the rules are ‘clear-as-mud’ but this is a great game. Get a group who can meet regularly and for whom winning, though important, isn’t the be-all and end-all, and have a blast!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it so much I bought one to play with my kids.

In ten years.

Daviau mentioned on a podcast that he recently extended Plaid Hat/Asmodee's rights in the game to IIRC 2020 so they could sell off their stock. So these prices probably won't last forever, even though they seem pretty stable for the short term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Adams
msg tools
Cliffy73 wrote:
I like it so much I bought one to play with my kids.

In ten years.

Daviau mentioned on a podcast that he recently extended Plaid Hat/Asmodee's rights in the game to IIRC 2020 so they could sell off their stock. So these prices probably won't last forever, even though they seem pretty stable for the short term.

I did this for my kids too!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.