Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Reaver Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Cuthbertson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm new, so I apologize if I've done anything incorrectly.

I've been bitten by the mod bug and I've been thinking about this expansion:

Confidential

Subject #139 background –
Prior to this subjects conversion, DNA identifies him as Thomas Heron. A mechanic by trade (quite a good one based on his records) he was also an experienced pilot.
After the experimentation with PAX on Miranda, he was mutated to an Extremely Violent Humanoid (EVH -commonly referred to as “Reavers”) and lived aboard a ship with other EVHs, where he was renamed Trakin, for an undetermined amount of time.
Subject #139 was captured after being injured in an attack on a colony. We sedated the subject and have been testing different drugs on him to try and determine what, if any, will work to reduce the violent behavior. After finding the experimental drug 'Reddere' showed promise, we administered several doses over a 30 day period.
After extensive drug and psychological therapy, subject #139 is now able to function well enough in society to be released from our care. Though he will never have the same personality as “Thomas Heron,” he does remember his skills from his former human days. Unfortunately, he also remembers his time as an EVH, and will have to fight against the calling of that for the rest of his life. Because of this, we recommend he be confined to border and rim space only. The extensive population of the core planets may make him unstable and cause him to revert back to his previous state.
Make no mistake, Trakin is still extremely dangerous. He is still 60% EVH and will remain so indefinitely. We have reached the limit of our therapy. We will continue to monitor and report any further developments.

REAVER EXPANSION RULES

- The Alliance does not want to recognize the existence of Reavers. They will only intervene in the most extreme cases. The Invictus gets a +1 to all Alliance alert token rolls.
- Similarly, Reavers recognize other Reaver ships and will generally not attack unless provoked, thus, Trakin’s ship gets a +1 to Reaver alert tokens. In addition, if you draw the “Reshuffle” card or there is a Reaver encounter, a roll above a 1 will allow you to Evade.
- Trakin is used to flying without containment and continues that practice which allows the ship to get bonus moves at the end of a full burn. Due to this fact, (and that working for a Reaver is extremely dangerous) crew is very difficult to obtain.
------- Trakin must pay 2x the rate for hiring and pay and may not hire any moral crew.
------- Also, since the crew is partially ill from radiation, no crew member may be revived by a medic.
------- Additionally, passengers will not board this vessel. Fugitives are more desperate and can still be transported.
- Because of the magnetic grapples on the Invictus and his experience raiding vessels, Trakin receives a +3 to wrench boarding tests and +2 to gun tests in “SHOWDOWNS.”







Thank you to everyone that posted a template that I used. I appreciate your help!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I see what you're trying to do, but there are a few elements that are going to make this a very difficult - if not impossible - concept in actual normal gameplay. Paying extra for Crew can be really problematic, especially early on, but what's really crippling here is the inability to enter Alliance Space... paired with the max Crew of 3. Is that a typo?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cuthbertson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
It is not a typo. It is for a very specific type of player that will focus more on piracy jobs instead of jobs from contacts.

Making it a difficult choice as a captain is what I was going for. It was just a way for a different option if one was inclined to play that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
With a crew of 3, you’ll lose most Showdowns as the game progresses and crews get bigger.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cuthbertson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
True. So you'd better get your money early.

Plus,there is always the +3 expanded crew upgrade.

I'm not saying this is a mod for beginners. This is an advanced mod that forces you to make some hard decisions on how to build your career. Jobs will be scarce as not many contacts will want to deal with you. (i.e. you will have to search for the right jobs that will keep you out of Alliance space) And you need to have a good crew with good gear to use. Maybe make use of a Love Bot for the companion?

Plus, you get to be the bad guy and chase down ships with your bonus roll to pilfer and plunder. How shiny is that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Not all that shiny when your prey heads into Alliance Space.

But, hey, different strokes for different folks.

(For the record, though, don't reply on Expanded Crew Quarters, since they're an exclusive at Osiris, I believe.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cuthbertson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
That's half the fun! Keeping people from going about their business and trying to catch them before they can escape. Maybe I should call it Firefly-GTA Mod?

I thought there was one at Meridian or Beaumonde, but you're right. I'll just create one for the "Expansion"

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaver players is an intriguing concept that has never really been fully fleshed out before. As you can imagine, there are a lot of speed bumps.

I don't think it's necessary to block the ship from entering Alliance Space. I think you can make it "Always counts as an Outlaw Ship" and accomplish almost the same thing without crippling the player. There are too many Jobs to get and do in Alliance Space. Plus, you're forcing them to go around, which with the race nature of the game is putting that player at a huge disadvantage. You could also just make the Leader Wanted, which saves text space and does the same thing - except for items that allow you to "shroud" Wanted Crew, so never mind that. Just slap a
on the Ship card, and that should do the trick.

Perhaps something to make it easier to pick up Piracy Jobs. There aren't that many in the game, so they're not necessarily guaranteed to come up, especially early in the game. Something that allowed you to Deal remotely to get Piracy Jobs from the discard piles, or draw three from the top of a Contact deck and keep a Piracy Job that you find.

Restricting the use of Medics is flavorful, but, again a big shackle on the player. Keep to the abstract nature of the game and the KISS law, I'd drop that.

I think you could allow Passengers, but do something like "If you end your turn in the Big Black, roll a die. On a 1, discard a Passenger."


"Plus 3
6 on Boarding Tests." should read "+
on Boarding Tests."

You restrict the ship to "only Reaver Captains", but the Leader you made isn't 'mechanically' a "Reaver". You should make REAVER Keyword, and use it to replace MECHANIC.

I'm personally not a fan of putting Pilot and Mechanic on the same Crew. Thematically, it's contrary to the nature of the Crazy Ivan from the show. One person couldn't do that alone. They needed one flying and the other in the engine room. Granted, mechanically, there's nothing in the rules to not allow it, or keep it from working, but I think it's telling that one of the official Crew have this combo - even someone like Early, who is a one-man show. I also see it as one of those cases of making a character too powerful. Lastly, part of the nature of the game is going around assembling a crew. It's part of the fun, and something built into the mechanics and timing of it.

How do you mean the +1 to Alert Tokens to work? Is it supposed to be a bonus to your roll, or is it supposed to make passing the roll harder?

As I said, the concept is really intriguing, but a challenging one to bring to life. This is a good start, but it's going to take a lot to really balance it and make it fun to play. Right now, this combination is so handicapped that even a seasoned player is unlikely to be able to do anything with it.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Threadromancy!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1416615/has-anyone-tried-pl...

We discussed Reavers as a playable character in this thread some time ago. I feel that you can "recruit" (infect) crew on a planet that you would raid with a showdown of some sort. Then you would place a fight token instead of one of the crews negotiate or tech tokens. Ex, Inarra is converted to the Reaver cause. She would now have 1 fight and 2 negotiate plus whatever special rules for being a Reaver.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cuthbertson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Scarbuck wrote:

I don't think it's necessary to block the ship from entering Alliance Space. I think you can make it "Always counts as an Outlaw Ship" and accomplish almost the same thing without crippling the player. There are too many Jobs to get and do in Alliance Space. Plus, you're forcing them to go around, which with the race nature of the game is putting that player at a huge disadvantage. You could also just make the Leader Wanted, which saves text space and does the same thing - except for items that allow you to "shroud" Wanted Crew, so never mind that. Just slap a
on the Ship card, and that should do the trick.


Reavers in the show never went into Alliance space. I'm trying to keep (somewhat) with that rule. I gave the drive core the ability to move up to 10 spaces with the bonus rolls. That seems like a decent way of getting around Alliance space pretty quickly.

Quote:
Perhaps something to make it easier to pick up Piracy Jobs. There aren't that many in the game, so they're not necessarily guaranteed to come up, especially early in the game. Something that allowed you to Deal remotely to get Piracy Jobs from the discard piles, or draw three from the top of a Contact deck and keep a Piracy Job that you find.


I can see this being useful. Higgins jobs often end in boarder or rim space, so that is a general go-to for me. Yes, jobs are scarce with this captain but that is the point I was going for.

Quote:
Restricting the use of Medics is flavorful, but, again a big shackle on the player. Keep to the abstract nature of the game and the KISS law, I'd drop that.


This is one of my favorite hurdles. Yes, it is a big shackle but again, I WANT it to be difficult. I like the challenge and the way it totally changes the strategy of the game. No, I don't often win but it is so much fun to be the bad guy, mostly, I don't care.

Quote:
I think you could allow Passengers, but do something like "If you end your turn in the Big Black, roll a die. On a 1, discard a Passenger."


Interesting concept. I would be willing to consider that rule.

Quote:
"Plus 3
6 on Boarding Tests." should read "+
on Boarding Tests."


Good catch. I will change that on the next revision.

Quote:
You restrict the ship to "only Reaver Captains", but the Leader you made isn't 'mechanically' a "Reaver". You should make REAVER Keyword, and use it to replace MECHANIC.

I'm personally not a fan of putting Pilot and Mechanic on the same Crew. Thematically, it's contrary to the nature of the Crazy Ivan from the show. One person couldn't do that alone. They needed one flying and the other in the engine room. Granted, mechanically, there's nothing in the rules to not allow it, or keep it from working, but I think it's telling that one of the official Crew have this combo - even someone like Early, who is a one-man show. I also see it as one of those cases of making a character too powerful. Lastly, part of the nature of the game is going around assembling a crew. It's part of the fun, and something built into the mechanics and timing of it.


He's mostly a Reaver, so I'm ok with it. A true Reaver would of course be too uncivilized to work any job and be just a mindless killing machine. I'm willing to bend my 'verse to allow him to be able to captain this boat.

You're right. It would not be possible in the show with Serenity. This boat is a wreck. Perhaps he figured out a way to pilot from the engine room?

Quote:
How do you mean the +1 to Alert Tokens to work? Is it supposed to be a bonus to your roll, or is it supposed to make passing the roll harder?


This allows him to pass any token unless there are more than one on a sector. Since the Alliance doesn't get involved unless it is an extreme case (more than 1 token) and other Reavers won't attack unless provoked (more than one token). This is a huge benefit and one of the reasons for all the other handicaps.

Quote:
As I said, the concept is really intriguing, but a challenging one to bring to life. This is a good start, but it's going to take a lot to really balance it and make it fun to play. Right now, this combination is so handicapped that even a seasoned player is unlikely to be able to do anything with it.


I have played it and I've had a lot of fun. It isn't for your standard games, but it does have it's place. Especially the setup card that you have to drop groups of 4 contraband or cargo to your havens. Being able to steal from your opponents is really great.

That is if you don't mind being an a-hole. --Which, I do not mind at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Cuthbertson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
HarleighDhai wrote:
Threadromancy!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1416615/has-anyone-tried-pl...

We discussed Reavers as a playable character in this thread some time ago. I feel that you can "recruit" (infect) crew on a planet that you would raid with a showdown of some sort. Then you would place a fight token instead of one of the crews negotiate or tech tokens. Ex, Inarra is converted to the Reaver cause. She would now have 1 fight and 2 negotiate plus whatever special rules for being a Reaver.



I didn't know this thread existed! It is interesting to see that I came up with some of the same rules. (i.e. no Alliance space travel)

Thanks for the link!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.