Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Smith
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When during the Assembly phase, two or more players are tied in victory conditions so that the game continues, each player involved in that tie receives a Deed.

I have seen this variant mentioned here and there in the forums several times, but has anyone actually tried it out?

I am blessed to play Inis with several different groups, and while most everyone loves it nearly as much as me, the group I'm playing with next week is the one group that is not so keen on it. I've only played once with most of them, and since they're more used to Euro games, they were not as impressed with the two-and-a-half hour slog of back-and-forth tactical bickering the game became.

They are willing to try the game again, and I was wondering about implementing this variant rule in hopes to shorten the game and reward players going after victory conditions. I wanted to hear some feedback first, specifically for how the variant works for three- and four-player games. Can anyone help me out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

This rule is part of a new rule that will be included in the expansion. Its purpose is to make sure the game doesn’t last to long with 5 players, but it can be used with 4 or even 3 players, although it’s not really necessary with 3.

You can try it as you mentioned it, it works. The complete rule has another aspect that you’ll discover soon. Teasing, I know

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Smith
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Kris, though it is too much of a tease.

I absolutely agree that the rule is not necessary with three, but I can see how it would be attractive with four--most of my four-player games end up twice as long as three-player games somehow.

My Euro friends are used to engine-building, pure strategy games, so more than anything else I'm hoping this rule can act as a reward for achieving that victory condition, even when the achievement does not get them the win at the time, in much the same way that one can get satisfaction from "building an engine" in a Euro. I'm hoping this is enough to improve their opinion on this fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
That said, I'm wondering if this would be useful for 2 players. I can imagine it working, as it'd just make the board state tighter (as win conditions would become easier to get)

Could add some nice tension to a 2player game. Otherwise, I've yet to play the game (I'm waiting for some free time to teach it to my partner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it’s not for the 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Spada
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anjovi154 wrote:
That said, I'm wondering if this would be useful for 2 players.

It wouldn't be, because there would never be a tie in a 2-player game. There will always be a Brenn to break the tie.

You're going to love the game when you play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also be aware that a 2 player game takes 30 minutes once you know what you're doing.

Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Cool! I figured that ties could happen when both players manage to get some of the objectives at the same time (the sanctuary building objective and the peeps in 6 territories seem possible)

I'll just play it! I usually stew over adding variants to suit me and my partner, but I think i can trust you guys on this one

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Spada
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anjovi154 wrote:
I figured that ties could happen.

Yes, you're right. Ties can definitely happen in a two-player game. I meant that any tie that does occur would still result in the Brenn winning the game.

I've won a two-player game in the second round before. It's pretty fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anjovi Kulam
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
RIGHT! How could I have overlooked that? lol

thank you for your patience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.