Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure this is truly a rules question, but it seems close enough. What is considered to be the "right" way to go about choosing your next scenario - do you go only from what you're given in the Conclusion of the unlocking scenario? Or do you look at the setup information for your options first?

If the former, how do you handle side quests, which can have requirements that you may not yet meet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group looks at the map to see all the scenarios we have unlocked (main story and side quests) and picks the one we feel like doing that session. Recently we've been going through the unlocked side quests before we get back to the main story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We look at all the available scenarios, check requirements, then choose from the remaining list.

Monster types, global map locations, and scenario effects are taken into account, along with Personal Quest goals and whim of the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but my point was how much you should know. I've unlocked a side quest that I don't meet the requirements for - it seems that I should at least know that before choosing, but I don't know how much I SHOULD know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep a list of our currently available scenarios in email, with important known information about those scenarios. "Known" information includes which monsters we're facing, where it is on the map (for Personal Quests), what story line it's part of, which choice it represents making (if any), and what the requirements are to play it. Stuff that is not known information includes: scenario rewards, special rules past the beginning.

Other people may play with more or less known information than this.

As for how to handle scenarios (main or side) whose requirements you don't meet, you just can't do those. (This is why knowing the requirements before deciding what to play is important.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thompson
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think it's fine to read the first section of a scenario (the pre-reqs, etc) before deciding on that scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We look at the requirements section but not at the actual room setup/enemies/etc until after we've decided on which one to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sajuro
United States
yucaipa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hi
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose any scenario you have unlocked.
You check if you meet the requirements.

If you do meet the requirments you do the scenario if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
Yes, but my point was how much you should know. I've unlocked a side quest that I don't meet the requirements for - it seems that I should at least know that before choosing, but I don't know how much I SHOULD know.

I see you point about "how much should we know." I think the answer is, "it's personal preference." When I started, I looked at everything, including all rooms and setup. Then I discovered the "Hidden PDF": https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/146896/interactive-scenar...

So, I changed to where I knew as little as possible (beyond the requirements). But then I got a character Life Goal that forced me to study the sections of the map to the point where I had to use the FAQ alongside the scenario flowchart to plot out a logical path to character retirement.

Go with what feels right, given your current situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, the rules dont really say how much info we should have about available missions.

How I play is that, I will look at the monsters in upcoming scenarios (for personal quests) but not the rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Schofield
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
I'm not sure this is truly a rules question, but it seems close enough. What is considered to be the "right" way to go about choosing your next scenario - do you go only from what you're given in the Conclusion of the unlocking scenario? Or do you look at the setup information for your options first?

If the former, how do you handle side quests, which can have requirements that you may not yet meet?

I send a Facebook poll to our group's Gloomhaven page with each scenario available to us that we haven't completed yet with a brief one-liner of what we think the scenario will be based on previous scenario conclusions (I also add a comment on the scenarios we haven't looted the treasure tile or that we haven't unlocked yet).

We then vote and luckily we haven't had a 2-2 split yet with 20 scenarios done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.