Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Champions Trading Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
OK so I’ve been taught to play the game by Playfusion staff, played about seven games, read the Quickstart rules (Which are about two sides of A2 paper) and played seven or so games. I played the Death faction for all of those games to get a better idea of how the game worked. My opponents played a mixture of the four factions.

Theme
Well you are asking the wrong person here. The last Warhammer product I bought was Warhammer Seige (awesome!). The cards have Warhammer names on and you might get a thrill from seeing Orky Mc Ork Face on a card but these are CCG cards and you could swap out Warhammer for Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or whatever and the mechanics would not change.

But you don’t need any prior knowledge of Sigmar (Who?) or Chaos or Storm-thingies to be able to pick up this game in a few turns and have fun with it. It makes no difference to the outcome of the games or how much you enjoy your Zombie Dragon pounding on your opponent.

And having spent an evening playing the game I know just as little about Sigmar or what age he is. There was no fiction for me to read, no flavour text jumping out at me and no unfolding storyline. And I am totally cool with that.

Gameplay
My biggest takeaway is how quick the games were (less than 20 mins even as a learner) and how rapid the turns were. In how many games do you only wait 30 seconds till your next turn? None that I can remember. And in most of that 30 seconds you will be moving your life counter down or discarding cards your enemy has ruthlessly dispatched.

There are no resources to manage. Cards don’t cost anything. You aren’t having to do any kind of maths to work out what cards you can afford this turn. You aren’t sitting there waiting to accumulate enough gold/ mana/ mojo to purchase your super card or any cards. You can be putting cards into to play and making your opponent tick down their life counter from turn one and every turn after that.

Card draw is part of the actions phase. You have two actions per turn and you have to forfeit an action to draw a card or both actions to draw two. And if you don’t have any cards then you can’t play any. Not replenishing your hand or automatically drawing cards at the end of the round as many games have you do is quite a shakeup.

You only get thirty cards in your draw deck and you start with four or five in your hand. All of my games were over before reaching the end of that tiny pile.

The cards look great. Everything was easy to read and there weren’t too many icons that you need to get used to.

I am not looking forward to this being a COLLECTABLE Card Game with blind boosters and random rarities but if you want to afford a Games Workshop licence you better be doing all you can to maximise your sales.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as this actually gets SUPPORT in STORES for tournaments and whatnot, I'm in! So, I'm hopeful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanner
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.