Maxwell Smart
msg tools
I just noticed this rule after three playthroughs. Does this mean:

A carrier and its fighters may not move together to attack something? Also, since combat movement is supposed to be considered simultaneous, does it mean that moving a fighter into sea zone 1, and then moving their carrier from seazone 2 into 1 in order to also participate in an attack, is invalid as well?

There will never be a situation where fighters are defending at sea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It simply means that a fighter must take off from its carrier before the carrier moves if it's going to attack. In other words, you can't move the carrier two spaces and then have the fighter take off and move three more spaces. The movement of both pieces begins in the original sea zone. Defending fighters and carriers don't have to move, so it's not an issue - defending fighters are always considered to be in the air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxwell Smart
msg tools
Krieghund wrote:
It simply means that a fighter must take off from its carrier before the carrier moves if it's going to attack. In other words, you can't move the carrier two spaces and then have the fighter take off and move three more spaces. The movement of both pieces begins in the original sea zone.

Thanks so much, Mr. Krieghund! One more question:

Krieghund wrote:
Defending fighters and carriers don't have to move, so it's not an issue - defending fighters are always considered to be in the air.

What does this clarification mean in the context of this rule:

Quote:
In a sea battle involving transports or aircraft carriers, place any cargo (whether your own or a friendly power’s) beside the sea
unit that is carrying it. Cargo does not roll attacks, nor can it be chosen as a casualty. It is lost with the sea unit carrying it if
that sea unit is destroyed.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, defending fighters are not cargo (unless owned by a friendly power), and they will also defend if the carrier housing them is attacked. Is that right?

Also: can the "telescoping" thing be done during noncombat? i.e. move an aircraft carrier 2 spaces, then the fighters launch from there in order to land on a friendly territory or other carrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MSmart wrote:
Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, defending fighters are not cargo (unless owned by a friendly power), and they will also defend if the carrier housing them is attacked. Is that right?

Fighters always defend in the air, even if they belong to another power. The only time a fighter will normally be cargo in a battle is if the carrier is attacking with a friendly power's fighter on board (the fighter can't attack because it's not that power's turn.

MSmart wrote:
Also: can the "telescoping" thing be done during noncombat? i.e. move an aircraft carrier 2 spaces, then the fighters launch from there in order to land on a friendly territory or other carrier.

No. If the fighter doesn't take off and move on its own at the beginning of the movement, it rides along with the carrier as cargo. The only time you can make a move like you're describing is if a carrier is carrying another power's fighter, as the carrier can move on its turn (carrying the fighter as cargo) and then the fighter take off and move on its turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.