Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please clue me into what the mechanized Aufk unit represents...

Not having luck with internet searches but I’m guessing it’s a truncated version of a long German tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Pasha wrote:
Can someone please clue me into what the mechanized Aufk unit represents...

Not having luck with internet searches but I’m guessing it’s a truncated version of a long German tile

Our German friends may need to confirm this, but I understand it's short for Aufklarung (with an umlaut over the second a). It is the designation for a reconnaissance unit.

Clearly though Carl has included this unit to give the Axis player operational flexibility. It's a mechanized grey/green unit that may be freely overstacked... I usually keep Rommel on it behind the lines when the Axis are defending against an Allied offensive. Hence, I've nicknamed the Aufk unit "Rommel's staff car".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
That makes perfect sense. So it’s a composite unit? Or could I find this in an OOB somewhere?

Ive had this game since it was released but it has defied me. But now The rules have clicked and I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a composite counter aggregating the Reconnaissance units of the German Panzer divisions. These were often sent in separate missions. It also simulates various temporary "Kampfgruppes".

The correct German name is:

Aufklärungsabteilung

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufklärungsabteilung

In the Desert these units were quite "beefed up" compared to their European equivalents (adding tanks and artillery support).

Good place for the OOBs of these troops (but it was very variable):

http://www.oocities.org/desertfox1891/articles/GermanRecce/G...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
Brilliant game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Pasha wrote:
Thanks
Brilliant game!

Thnaks for the good words.

BTW the game is now "out of print". So I'll take the opportunity for the P500 reprint to revamp the rules more throughly and improve the event cards.

If I am fool brave enough, there will also be an "upgrade kit" available on the P500 that will add in to the game more cards, terrain up to Tripoli, the Tunisian Campaign in 43 and probably also the 1940-41 Greek campaign. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

If I am fool brave enough, there will also be an "upgrade kit" available on the P500 that will add in to the game more cards, terrin up to Tripoli, the Tunisian Campaign in 43 and probably also the 1940-41 Greek campaign. meeple

Based on the frustration you've expressed for a lack a gaming time it seems more fool than brave. Speaking for myself, I'd love to see the campaign extended to Tunisia. The Greek campaign would be an unnecessary extravagance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
htjester wrote:
licinius wrote:

If I am fool brave enough, there will also be an "upgrade kit" available on the P500 that will add in to the game more cards, terrin up to Tripoli, the Tunisian Campaign in 43 and probably also the 1940-41 Greek campaign. meeple

Based on the frustration you've expressed for a lack a gaming time it seems more fool than brave. Speaking for myself, I'd love to see the campaign extended to Tunisia. The Greek campaign would be an unnecessary extravagance.

Ahhhh... BUT I will probably be semi-retired next year. Working only 3 days/week. So time will finally be available!!!

As for the Greek campaign, I agree, BUT I do have the back of the mounted Tunisia map that has no use and counter space too; so it's in the realm of possibilities. A few weeks ago I had decided against it, but then I got a few great books about the campaign and I started to change my mind. I did flush out the Ethiopian Campaign.

Anyway I doubt that it will pass the P500 fast, if ever (that goes also for the main NR2 game reprint), we'll see. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greek Campaign and Tunisia sound good! But as noted above, don’t scarifice your own gaming time....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Pasha wrote:
Greek Campaign and Tunisia sound good! But as noted above, don’t scarifice your own gaming time....

You mean my current non-existent gaming time?

I plan to change this state of things soon... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.