Shifting Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing a story card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Kremar
msg tools
Page 5 of my rulebook says:
Draw a Story Card
For one action, you can draw any one story card. You can draw up to two story cards on your turn. You can draw a story card from a realm in which you have no units occupying any of its spaces.

My confusion comes from how the game is set up at the very beginning. With one scout and soldier on each of the three starting zones, does that mean you must run your own guys off a particular board to collect a story card?
Further confusion comes from watch various Youtube channels play the game (not official Soaring Rhino people, I think know) and they just draw a card when ever they want to as one of their actions. But doing that makes the Divine Temple location pointless (if you can draw whenever, why pay a stone?).

So that leads me to believe that it IS intended for you to only be able to draw story cards in a realm you're not on, but not allowing you to have a single unit in an entire realm section, ESPECIALLY coupled with the fact you start in every realm, seems really harsh given you have to go out of your way to abandon an area.

I'm hoping other people can weigh in on this now that others are getting their games across the US right about now. (Or one of the Van Ness brothers can swoop in so I can praise them for making such a beautiful game!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Van Ness
United States
Dunellen
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
You can always use an action to draw a story card from a deck from any realm. The rule states that you do not need a unit in a realm to draw a card from that realm.

The key to the Divine Temple is that you can spend a stone to draw a card without using an action. If you have the Temple and stone, you can take three other actions and then draw up two cards using stone. You can only draw a maximum of two cards on your turn no matter how you get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zykoon wrote:
You can draw a story card from a realm in which you have no units occupying any of its spaces.

I had initially read this line as being a prerequisite as well, but reversed once it seemed impractical. Might be a FAQ candidate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Kremar
msg tools
Thanks Jeff, makes way more sense to me now!

You have made such a spectacular game, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. You guys keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.