Subject: Question about initial water flow. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian sacco
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
With the default water cubes on the board, most of them have 2 but weiringermeer has only 1. aIt also by default is on the water with a blue dike, so in the first water flow, it always floods? I just dont see the point of it being differenbt than the others just to get brought to 2 every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I think you are making a mistake because water should not always flow into Weiringermeer when the sea level is only 2 cubes. 2 cubes flows into 1 cube and there is already 1 cube in Weiringermeer so nothing happens.

Also during the game blue dike spots are no different to the red dike spots. The red dike spots just show you were the dikes should be placed during setup before the game starts.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mungtao wrote:
With the default water cubes on the board, most of them have 2 but weiringermeer has only 1. aIt also by default is on the water with a blue dike, so in the first water flow, it always floods? I just dont see the point of it being differenbt than the others just to get brought to 2 every game.
Rules for Initial Water Flow page 4 (Note the comments in parenthesis):

To complete the setup, check every region by doing these steps in order:

1. For each region with 3 water cubes, add water cubes to each adjacent low-elevation region that is not protected from the first region by a dike, until each has at least 2 water cubes. (Don’t add water cubes to regions that already have 2 or 3 water cubes.)

2. Then, for each region with 2 water cubes, add water cubes to each adjacent low-elevation region that is not protected from the first region by a dike, until each has at least 1 water cube. (Don’t add a water cube to regions that already have at least 1 water cube.)

The same applies for when water flows during the game. When the seas eventually rise to 4 cubes, water flows in a similar manner with water flowing into regions that are not protected until they have 3 cubes, but you don't add water to regions that already have 3 or 4 cubes.

I think the confusion comes in from the use of the "at least" in front of all these numbers, when told to what level you're filling them. It confused me too a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian sacco
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, I must have missed this part "Don’t add a water cube to regions that already have at least 1 water cube." In my head it made sense for water to flow until it matched the level of the source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
mungtao wrote:
Ah, I must have missed this part "Don’t add a water cube to regions that already have at least 1 water cube." In my head it made sense for water to flow until it matched the level of the source.

I'm guessing that thematically speaking the cubes represent not just water level, but depth -- the water level between the original sea and freshly flooded land may be the same, but the freshly flooded land is covered by less water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.