Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone asked on another thread the question in the subject line. Thought I would start a new thread so as to not take that one off topic.

ACBez wrote:
How will this game compare to playing a game like Civilisation? The only other 4x I know.

I assume you mean the board game versions of Civ and not the Avalon Hill classic from the 70s. Hellenica is less abstract and less "turn-focused" to minimize down time.

1) This game is set at the dawn of Western civilization. A time when the gods still had sway over mankind, but mankind was also making great advancements in technology. Thus, a player pursues both favor with the gods and researches advancements. Which path you choose to emphasize each game depends on you.

2) The gods = mythology and magic. So, you can bring storms to smash fleets or bake an area using Apollo's chariot or call upon Aphrodite to seduce one of the other gods to distract him from helping your enemies, etc. There are 10 gods each with 3 invocations your can use so their are a lot of ways to "bend the rules". Experimenting with the gods is one of the highest rated parts of the game from playtesters.

3) There are world events that occur with increasing frequency. Players must react to them, and even harness them by spending favor. It is loads of fun to cause a volcano on the other side of the map to erupt and trash a player's favorite city.

4) In Hellenica, the threat of war is often there, but it is many times a cold war. I love that tension in the game. When war does erupt, it is often to prevent an enemy from achieving a goal (one of the victory conditions) or because they already did achieve it and you want to take it from them. Thus, war erupts organically from in-game conditions and not because you want "more cities" or some other universal reason.

5) Mechanically, a turn in Hellenica consists of multiple rounds. Each round each player performs one action starting with the Favorite of the gods and continuing clockwise or counter-clockwise (FotG choice). When it is your turn to take an action, you can do one of 5 basic things.

a) Build a new city upgrade (places a new building mini on the map).
b) Train some troops using docks, barracks, or stables (gets you new units).
c) Worship at your temples (earns you favor tokens).
d) Research at your academies (earns you philosopher tokens that you can spend on advancements)
e) Supply using a market to either earn a commerce token (to earn free actions later) or supply an area for movement.

That's it. Quick decisions that keep downtime to a minimum. On a player's turn they need only look at their player board to see where there are action cubes. You see, each time you perform an action, you remove the cube from that area and place it on a matching building. So, I decide to worship in Sparta; I pick up the worship cube and and count the number of temples in the city. I receive that many favor tokens. I then place the worship cube on top of one temple in the city (each mini has a receptacle for holding the action cubes to show that they are exhausted). If I take a 2nd worship action in Sparta, I will collect 1 less favor as one of the temples was exhausted from the last worship action.

So your turn is as simple as looking at what action cubes remain and deciding what to do. If ever confused, the player board is laid out from top left to lower right in order of how a player should take their first turn. By turn 2 or 3 of your first game, turn mechanics will be second nature.

Okay, I went overboard here. I apologize. My Designer Diary entries in the forums here on BGG include more detail on many of the items above.

Any questions outside of the scope of this thread, please create a new thread. Happy to answer questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome!
Only 13 days left...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Griffin
United States
Thibodaux
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this description. It really peaks my interest in the game even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grif66642 wrote:
Thanks for this description. It really peaks my interest in the game even more.

If I could be less long winded, I would get more sleep. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Mertlich
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So what time do I need to be ready so I can be backer one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! You will need to refresh your browser all day on the 7th as my publisher has not told me that. LOL

Plus, a couple people have said that same thing. Maybe I do a contest as there can be only one <insert Highlander reference here>.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdmers wrote:
Ha! You will need to refresh your browser all day on the 7th as my publisher has not told me that. LOL

Plus, a couple people have said that same thing. Maybe I do a contest as there can be only one <insert Highlander reference here>.

I suspect that someone will post a thread here when the campaign launches. So we'll know. But we'll have to live with high backer numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Pacetti
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I LOVE THIS PLACE
mbmbmbmbmb
PKTyson wrote:
So what time do I need to be ready so I can be backer one? ;)

You missed your shot. That was me :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Mertlich
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Haha I knew it was you Randy, you're always beating me (I think I've lost every game I've played with you -might have only been mistborn though- )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.