24 Posts

Cthulhu: Death May Die» Forums » General

Subject: Rating the Mythos Models rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
"The monsters look fine to me. The Great Old Ones are amazing, just great. What do you mean there are too many artistic licenses? Don't know, I am not a Lovecraft fan, I just love the CMON take on the Cthulhu bestiary."

Well, some of them gamers are both gamers and readers / fans of Lovecraft.

As a pastime, I've decided to rate the Cthulhu deities as presented by CMON.

TCHO-TCHO - 4/10
DEEP ONE - 4/10
GHOUL - 7/10
BYAKEE - 6/10
HUNTING HORROR - 8/10
FIRE VAMPIRE - 10/10
SHOGGOTH - 10/10
CTHONIAN - 5/10
HASTUR - 10/10
CTHULHU - 6/10
STAR SPAWN - 6/10
NIGHTGAUNT - 10/10
HOUND OF TINDALOS - 3/10
STAR VAMPIRE - 4/10
FLYING POLYP - 8/10
BOKRUG - 9/10
YUGG - 8/10
ELDER THING - 8/10
DIMENSIONAL SHAMBLER - 4/10
THE DUNWICH HORROR - 2/10
BLACK GOAT OF THE WOODS ELDER ONE - 2/10
DARK YOUNG - 9/10
MI-GO - 10/10
YOG-SOTHOTH - 4/10

I might add a few lines about each later, if in the mood.

Overall, some AMAZING sculpts / models and quite a few absolutely horrendous ones (BLACK GOAT OF THE WOODS, YOG-SOTHOTH).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua Vieira
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools

I would say ...

TCHO-TCHO - 2/10
DEEP ONE - 6/10
GHOUL - 4/10
BYAKEE - 4/10
HUNTING HORROR - 8/10
FIRE VAMPIRE - 10/10
SHOGGOTH - 10/10
CTHONIAN - 8/10
HASTUR - 10/10
CTHULHU - 5/10
STAR SPAWN - 4/10
NIGHTGAUNT - 10/10
HOUND OF TINDALOS - 5/10
STAR VAMPIRE - 2/10
FLYING POLYP - 9/10
BOKRUG - 8/10
YUGG - 7/10
ELDER THING - 7/10
DIMENSIONAL SHAMBLER - 6/10
THE DUNWICH HORROR - 5/10
BLACK GOAT OF THE WOODS ELDER ONE - 4/10
DARK YOUNG - 8/10
MI-GO - 10/10
YOG-SOTHOTH - 9/10

Uncle yith- 10/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Husso
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastur should be 11 out of 10. I think that might be the coolest model Ive ever seen.

And Ive grown to like their new take on Cthulhu. I think it is very cool. Somewhere around 9 out of 10.

Your "dunwich horror" is Wilbur?

Yog-sothoth (should be "dunwich horror"...) imho is great looking model. I like it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stehr
Germany
flag msg tools
Rated on their description in the literature or your aesthetics?
I don't know the literally descriptions.
I look forward to read your reasoning.

I think the deep one art is good, but the sculpts head looks wrong and the poses are stupid (and the red painted crotch xD).

Hastur is great! And i like Cthulhu even not mountain-size and board-size-friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Robert,

Based on the descriptions in the stories; and also how these monsters have been usually depicted in the "popular culture" (books covers, comics, posters, art and so on) over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stehr
Germany
flag msg tools
Exupery wrote:

Based on the descriptions in the stories; and also how these monsters have been usually depicted in the "popular culture" (books covers, comics, posters, art and so on) over the years.

Cool, would love to see a run down with the references for a noob like me
I am most interested in:
THE DUNWICH HORROR (much controversial),
BLACK GOAT OF THE WOODS (i think it look cool), B
YAKEE (someone said looks like a guy in a fleshsuit),
CTHULHU (name giver ),
DIMENSIONAL SHAMBLER (looks like a troll/ork with six-pack-tentacle)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu
Dark Young
Fire Vampire
Flying Polyp
Hastur
Hunting Horror
Nightgaunt

Bokrug
Ghoul
Hound of Tindalos
Mi-Go
Star Vampire
Star Spawn
Wilbur Whateley
Yithian

Byakee [sic]
Cthonian
Dagon
Dimensional Shambler
Elder Thing
Shoggoth
Tcho-tcho
Yog-Sothoth
Yug

The Black Goat of the Woods
Deep One

I think the OP left out ratings for Dagon and the Yithians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua Vieira
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Most of the sculpts are good... some are not.

The byakhee are not so nice, and don't match well with call of cthuhlu or any other version i have seen. Too humanoid, would be my complaint.

The black goat in the woods miniature is very demonic... as in satanic. The cosmic horrors have no interest in satan, save Narly.

The Ghoul looks like a rat getting an enema. The star vampire is inferior to the cthuhlu wars equivalent in every way.

The tcho-tcho are just a no-no.

But the majority of the sculpts are top notch.
I also like the investigators, for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about taste - I find Byakhee to be one of my favorite models, not just in this game - first time I saw the figure before campaign, I was like, "insta back". Looks like there is consensus on Hastur being boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua Vieira
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools

Any of these look like a dude with duck lips in a rubber suit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karp
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Black Goat. Dagon looks like a children’s dragon. It’s my least favorite sculpt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joshua Vieira
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Miniatures-Father-Dagon-77590-...

@j karp
Easy fix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A poll would be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trévor Deynes
France
Aix en Provence
flag msg tools
For me

Cthonian
Cthulhu
Elder Thing
Flying Polyp
Hastur
Hunting Horror
Nightgaunt
Shoggoth

The Black Goat of the Woods
Bokrug
Dark Young
Dimensional Shambler
Fire Vampire
Ghoul
Hound of Tindalos
Mi-Go
Star Vampire
Star Spawn
Wilbur Whateley
Yog-Sothoth

Byakee
Dagon
Tcho-tcho
Yithian
Yug

Deep One
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Orya wrote:

Oh it would though. It would be so interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryVeck wrote:
Orya wrote:

Go ahead and do one. I am on my phone right now but on a PC it is a matter of minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked surprisingly few of the miniatures - and none of the GOOs. I was expecting to love so much and I just didn't. It wasn't the fault of the designs; they were just designs that didn't appeal to me at all.

Incidentally, I recently found this miniature of an Avatar of Hastur and I like it so much more than CMoN's:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exupery wrote:
Robert,

I think your reasoning is completely flawed here.

CMON's intent when going into this was to give us a new take on the Mythos creatures. Most of the Cthulhu artwork is copies of copies of copies- I think it is about time we got something that doesn't look copied.

Most of Adrian's art fits within the range of what is possibly being described- especially since the descriptions throughout the Mythos are often ethereal and sometimes completely contradictory.

CMON have captured the creepiness of these entities far better than any other renditions that I've seen (in the stories, even looking at artwork of these creatures is supposed to feel very creepy and evil).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Minis look gr8 I r8 8/8 m8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Oh. But I think your reasoning is also completely flawed here.

Why?

CMON's intent when going into this was to give us a new take on the Mythos creatures.

Simply because CMON did not gave us A NEW TAKE on ALL of the Mythos creatures. Only a few were given a new take. All the rest of the CMON models are "canon", so to speak. So? Why CMON's Hastur / Cthulhu / Flying Polyp, etc etc look like all the other thousand Hasturs / Cthulhus / Flying Polyps you can find online? And then we have the Black Goat, which looks nothing like the Black Goat but as a beefed-up Warhammer Fantasy Khorne general. Sorry if I cant see the "edge" in their take on the Black Goat, for example. It is just silly.

I think it is about time we got something that doesn't look copied.

80% of the CMON's models for DMD are "copied", nothing new here, thanks Gods!

Flawed reasoning there, Sir, but I get your point. As you can see in my first post, I like quite a few of these models. And I hate others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GrandKhan44 wrote:
StarryVeck wrote:
Orya wrote:

Go ahead and do one. I am on my phone right now but on a PC it is a matter of minutes.

I was being sarcastic. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stehr
Germany
flag msg tools
Exupery wrote:
Oh. But I think your reasoning is also completely flawed here.

Why?

CMON's intent when going into this was to give us a new take on the Mythos creatures.

Simply because CMON did not gave us A NEW TAKE on ALL of the Mythos creatures. Only a few were given a new take. All the rest of the CMON models are "canon", so to speak. So? Why CMON's Hastur / Cthulhu / Flying Polyp, etc etc look like all the other thousand Hasturs / Cthulhus / Flying Polyps you can find online? And then we have the Black Goat, which looks nothing like the Black Goat but as a beefed-up Warhammer Fantasy Khorne general. Sorry if I cant see the "edge" in their take on the Black Goat, for example. It is just silly.

I think it is about time we got something that doesn't look copied.

80% of the CMON's models for DMD are "copied", nothing new here, thanks Gods!

Flawed reasoning there, Sir, but I get your point. As you can see in my first post, I like quite a few of these models. And I hate others.

I can see both sides, but i like more the idea of a fresh interpretation, than the same old google search. It seams there is not much in the source material, the comment section can't even decide on Yog. But you can't see most of them (the GOOs overall) anyway?

I would like to see some reasoning, the numbers don't help much. Do they fit the description (with source)? Are they aesthetically for you? Difference between art and miniature? Is it the paintjob? By multiple versions (Cultist, Deep One): Which Version?

Can't the Goat be beefed up? Is is an otherworldly monster with a tentacle/goat theme, which kills humans for fun i assume. Is "it looks like" a critical point? Everything looks like something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
I can see both sides, but i like more the idea of a fresh interpretation.

In the message you have quoted I have already said there there are NO fresh interpretation for ALL the monsters. Only a few monsters (like 20% of them) were given a new "face". So if you are looking for fresh interpretations, you are out of luck. I am all for fresh interpretations when those interpretations are AWAY AND ABOVE the "canon" interpretations. But when those fresh interpretations are very very very very poor, well....

Adrian Smith is well known for his beefed-up Warhammer Chaos artwork. So he thought it was a smashing idea to make the Black Goat a beefed-up Warhammer Chaos Warlord. If you don't care about this change, so be it.

This is not rocket science. It boils down to preferences.

I don't have time nor the mood to explain why I have given those notes, I am sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Parker
United States
Westbrook
Maine
flag msg tools
In my opinion there are... a lot of problems here. I think two of the big ones are both "inspiration" elements on many of the figures that feel really out of place in a Lovecraftian setting:

Demon influence: all over the place but the Black Goat deserves special mention for how ridiculous it looks. Like a 12 year old death metal fan's sketch of a demon or something

and Biomechanical: a lot of the figures look like they have almost these metal armor plates that frankly look absurd.

Some of the figures are good (e.g. nightgaunt), some are good but don't really seem to fit what they're supposed to be, and some are just cringe-worthy. Special shout out to the Star Vampire which I'm convinced there was a mix-up in source material labelled or something because it looks absolutely nothing like star vampires have been described or pictured in any other material. Not even close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.