Allen Weaver
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game last night and I was awesome.
Until it came time to pack up....
I give CMON full marks to their packaging. Keeps everything safe and comfy... but OMG it's a pain to deal with all the cards and pieces.

Does anyone out there have any ideas for a good storage solution? Has anyone heard whether broken token etc, will be making a crate solution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the world of miniatures wargaming. This has plagued wargamers from day one.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Weaver
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Welcome to the world of miniatures wargaming. This has plagued wargamers from day one.

-Ski
It's insane! I used some Plano boxes for my Xwing stuff but I don't think that will work with these very well. I also plan to start painting them so having them rattle around in the Plano box doesn't sound too appealing.

I suppose I'll need to get into those giant foam cases that the warhammer guys use... ugh.... expensive!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Weaver
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this https://us.battlefoam.com/a-song-of-ice-fire-hand-of-the-kin...
Looks like it holds everything from the KSE. Maybe this is the way to go... then do something separate for the other add on units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muskyman705 wrote:
Teamski wrote:

-Ski
It's insane! I used some Plano boxes for my Xwing stuff but I don't think that will work with these very well. I also plan to start painting them so having them rattle around in the Plano box doesn't sound too appealing.

I suppose I'll need to get into those giant foam cases that the warhammer guys use... ugh.... expensive!!

I use Plano type boxes for many miniatures games and haven't had a problem. I use them for The Walking Dead All Out War miniatures game, Star Wars Legion (just the troopers models, not the vehicles) and Frostgrave (though add small pieces of foam in compartments with the handful of the metal models, though most are plastic).

I use a Games Plus bag with pluck foam trays for my metal minis like Infinity, The Drowned Earth, as well as the resin models from Rumbleslam, because they are a little brittle and more fragile than regular plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wicket Warrick
msg tools
mb
I'll post some photos of my storage & transport solution when it's completed. I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
These work great for storing minies and terrain pieces. I use them for Bolt Action, too. They can be stacked on the shelf and fit nicely on top of each other. May not be the best solution if you're going mobile a lot, but for me--they're great.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/146006

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muskyman705 wrote:
I give CMON full marks to their packaging. Keeps everything safe and comfy... but OMG it's a pain to deal with all the cards and pieces.

Does anyone out there have any ideas for a good storage solution? Has anyone heard whether broken token etc, will be making a crate solution?

Don't remove models from the tray and just place the models on their tray and carry in a box. You can magnetise the models to the trays for added stability if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Mishap wrote:
muskyman705 wrote:

Don't remove models from the tray and just place the models on their tray and carry in a box. You can magnetise the models to the trays for added stability if you like.

That's a good solution for transport.

At this moment I'm mostly interested in a good permanent storage solution that also is modular enough to help with transport. The original boxes are causing a lot of wasted space, even if I grant that I wish to allow for protection (not just dumping a bunch of painted figs in a bag, which would admittedly take a lot less space than keeping them on trays in ranks).

I'm using the GW carry cases for my AOS stuff but I would really like a solution that works with keeping everything magnetized on trays. Bonus points for being able to magnetize the trays and them sticking to the carry case as well.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and I'd like to be able to carry my painted 3d plastic terrain kit too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
msg tools
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Major Mishap wrote:
muskyman705 wrote:

That's a good solution for transport.

At this moment I'm mostly interested in a good permanent storage solution that also is modular enough to help with transport. The original boxes are causing a lot of wasted space, even if I grant that I wish to allow for protection (not just dumping a bunch of painted figs in a bag, which would admittedly take a lot less space than keeping them on trays in ranks).

I'm using the GW carry cases for my AOS stuff but I would really like a solution that works with keeping everything magnetized on trays. Bonus points for being able to magnetize the trays and them sticking to the carry case as well.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, and I'd like to be able to carry my painted 3d plastic terrain kit too.

There is a brand of miniature cases that might suit you, though I cant comment on quality or cost, I have never used them myself.

https://www.army-case.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I mentioned in one of the other threads on this topic, I am thinking about just cutting some of the trays down so there is not as much wasted space, and doubling up the small boxes.

It is pretty easy to take a photo of the figures in their trays to help find how to put them to bed (similar to the sanity-saving guide that the game comes with the starter set).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hahn
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Great point since there's so much wasted space with the smaller boxes. There was a great video showing how to magnetize the minis and trays on the facebook group. I'm thinking of this just for ease of set up and getting playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Battiste
United States
Irmo
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did up this video going over how I am storing the game.

https://youtu.be/1hXEVsfm16I

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.