Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kanehen
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero (0) being not at all, this is rules as written; Ten (10) being God-mode unlocked...

Poll
How much would it break the game to do City/Road Events before casual/random dungeons? For the purposes of this poll, assume this would happen at most once every 8 scenarios done in campaign mode.
      46 answers
Poll created by jkglife

For my party's purposes this would be just for when our player pool is missing one of the primary players (so we don't want to progress the main story-lines) but we're out of side scenarios.

It doesn't seem like running out of city or road events is likely (or even technically possible), but it would lead to a higher chance of encountering unique events (or just repeating the ones that repeat more often). Theoretically this could lead to a better chance for more prosperity and reputation change thus making the game a little easier(?), but also generally just experiencing more game-content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Used in the way you explained, I doubt it would cause much of an issue. On the other hand, precisely because you wouldn't encounter very many events this way, I'm not sure what the point would be. Given the option of not much difference, why not play it RAW?

However, I still voted 10 because of the potential for abuse. Once the rule is changed, you could easily just run a bunch of random dungeons and end up leveling your prosperity and reputation and unlocking far more content than a single campaign is supposed to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted three. Because generally it would not be an issue whatsoever.. BUT it really depends on how often you do random dungeons versus campaign scenarios.

If you run randoms pretty darn frequent;y; still not a big deal, but you would probably eventually start taking away from the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kanehen
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason we're considering doing so even though it'll be rare is to still have that thematic feel of time passing and the world developing even if we aren't doing a scenario in campaign mode.

It's easy enough to RP that we got a "tip" there might be some loot worthwhile in the woods to the north and we went to investigate, but in-world it'd be nice to still have that continuity of city/road events.

I hear what you mean about abuse if it were used in that way (thus the explicit bounds in the poll). I'd personally put that kind of use in the same camp as those that say, "we could do the first room of this scenario and always get 8 XP each and 3 coins, so let's just say we did it 10 times and give ourselves those resources", that is, the camp of those that aren't playing the game as intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Berro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
One of the fun aspects of Gloomhaven, or other similar PC games nowadays, is in being able to reveal content by fulfilling objectives or quests. By not completing all of the city/road events, some content is not encountered, potentially even some significant content such as scenarios.

Personally, I knew I would be playing Gloomhaven all of the way through at least twice, and probably thrice, so I kept track via spreadsheet of city and road events I have not encountered so that I can do what is "necessary" next time (including fudging which event card I draw) to be able to experience everything.

I have played it all of the way through twice now (once solo and once with my wife) and still have quite a bit uncovered for my third play through (maybe early next year), but I can certainly understand someone wanting to experience it all in one play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with hooliganj, if it's done every 8 scenarios it won't have that much of an impact, but if those scenarios are done in a row, or done more often nearing the end of a campaign or when trying to finish a personal quest faster it might have a pretty big impact.

To put things a bit into perspective you can actually draw additional city/road events if you lose a scenario and go back to the city, it's ripe for abuse but there is a way within RAW to draw additional events. So it is not that game breaking since the rules don't necessarily limit it to once per scenario, but as others have mentioned it can raise the game progression a bit faster than intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.