Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve started a series of games with the goal of playing through all the content in WWH (something I’ve never done with a Legendary expansion). I’d like to play each scheme once, and use appropriate MMS, Villains, and Heroes. I almost immediately ran into a comic-knowledge gap, though.

Game 1: Mutating Gamma Rays

This isn’t a storyline, as far as I know. It sort of seemed to me like the Hulk’s origin, so I just grabbed a bunch of Hulk mainstays and it felt right.

Mutation Pile: Hulk (base set)
MM: General Ross
Villains: Code Red, U-Foes, Cape Killers (best approximation of military troops that I had... maybe go with Cops if you have Villains)
Heroes: Amadeus Cho, Bruce Banner, Joe Fixit, Rick Jones, She-Hulk

Edit: This was a really fun game, although one deck (I play two-handed) just kept missing beats and getting hammered by the scheme. It just couldn't get anything going, and mostly just picked away at the low-Attack Villains and the General's helicopters. The other one focused on Banner, She-Hulk, and Hulk. It had a bunch of transformed cards and did very well.

Game 2: Shoot Hulk Into Space (I ended up setting this up myself before suggestions came in; see below)

The Illuminati is the obvious choice of MM for this one; so is using the Hulk again for the scheme’s Hulk Pile. Past that, I’m not sure. Namor might be a thematic hero, but who else would work against this scheme? Also, what other villains... maybe good-guys that have tried to stop the Hulk before?

I feel like every scheme after this will be easy, but this one has almost no other characters in the source material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Re: Playing through WWH and I need some suggestions
swheelock wrote:

Game 1: Mutating Gamma Rays

This isn’t a storyline, as far as I know.

I think that might be based on Gamaworld. That was a very short story after World War Hulk. It was about the Leader creating a gama radiated dome above a town, mutating the population and tricking the warbound into it in order to lure Hiroim to use his Old Power so he can steal it.

Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hiroim dies

His power is transfered to Kate which was a shield agent sent to arrest the Warbound but joins them.

So I would use the Warbound group - Korg, Hiroim and No name.
Miek was a prisoner of shield at the time and was doing a commentary on the warbound.

Maybe use one of the female shields as a replacement for Kate? Elsa Bloodstone or Agent X-13 might do.

swheelock wrote:

Game 2: Shoot Hulk Into Space

The Illuminati is the obvious choice of MM for this one; so is using the Hulk again for the scheme’s Hulk Pile. Past that, I’m not sure. Namor might be a thematic hero, but who else would work against this scheme?

If you're looking for thematic heroes, Amadeus Cho and She Hulk were the ones who most objected when they found out and wanted to get him back.

swheelock wrote:

Also, what other villains... maybe good-guys that have tried to stop the Hulk before?

I think you'll have an easier time asking who didn't try to stop the Hulk.

If you're looking for villain groups \ masterminds

Authoritarian Ironman is the Ironman that ran Shield, which is the one who sent Hulk into space.

Since Tony Stark used an LMD of Nick Fury, that might work as well.

Shield Elite would be a good villain group since they helped.

Also during the same time, Tony Stark's plan B was to have Shehulk hunt down all sorts of Hulked out villains to try and experiment and find a cure for him. I believe zzzaxx (or whatever you spell him) and Abomination were part of them, so Radiation Group might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I literally just played this 5 minutes ago with my son. I don't think it was particularly attached to a specific storyline, so we thought of it as MODOK trying to experiment on Bruce and his friends. It was also an opportunity to try out heroes we haven't had a chance to use yet.

Scheme: Mutating Gamma Rays (extra Hero: Nul, Breaker of Worlds)
Mastermind: M.O.D.O.K.
Heroes: Bruce Banner
Hulkbuster Iron Man
Rick Jones
Sentry
She-Hulk
Villains: Intelligencia
Radiation
Henchmen: M.O.D.O.K.s (because of course)

It worked out very well; we barely got through half the hero deck before defeating MODOK. We had a lot of fun transforming different characters; Rick Jones in particular was very satisfying.

As an aside, I don't think there's ever been a Hero set that reflects the character better than Rick Jones. It takes into account his time as Captain Mar-Vell's partner in subspace, his time as A-Bomb, his most recent turn as the Hacktivist for SHIELD, and even his power boost at the conclusion of the Kree/Skrull War. Those are some deep cuts! All we need is a ROM hero for him to partner with and we're set!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

M: Illuminati
S: Shoot Hulk Into Space
V: Illuminati, SHIELD Elite, Mandroids
H: Hercules, Amadeus Cho, Angel, Namora, She-Hulk

Or Intelligencia could maybe work instead of SHIELD Elite?

It’s not exactly copying any particular story, but those are the Heroes who kind of sided with Hulk or objected to what was done to him after the fact. I’m thinking of Cho’s Revengers/champions or whatever they were called, and She-Hulk having a big legal discussion with Doc Samson during the WWH prologue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up going with:

MM: Illuminati (had to be)
Scheme: Shoot Hulk Into Space
Hulk Deck: Hulk (naturally)
Villains: Illuminati, Murderworld, Phalanx

Illuminati work fine here, obviously, but there weren't really any other antagonists. I decided to go with Murderworld and Phalanx: Murderworld's loads of traps represented the heroes working against the machinations of the Illuminati, and the Phalanx was the technology of the shuttle, I guess (although really, any Henchmen group would fit, because none of them make much sense).

Heroes: Human Torch, Namor, Professor X, She-Hulk, Thing

I picked Namor and Prof. X because they were at least partly opposed to exiling the Hulk for good, Human Torch and Thing since they were part of the Las Vegas 'incident' cited by the Illuminati, and they might feel bad about Reed sending the Hulk into space, and She-Hulk because I wanted to play her again, and I figured she'd be anti-that-plan. This feels pretty open-ended.

I play two-handed, and one hand ended up dominating the game, with the other repeatedly hamstrung by the Illuminati's Master Strikes. Honestly, I couldn't get a darned thing going with that deck. The other one wrecked house, though, ending up with three rares and every MM tactic. Namor's rare works very well against the Illuminati with their usually-high Attack values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game #3 was easy to set up:

Scheme: Gladiator Pits of Sakaar
MM: Red King
Villains: Sakaar Imperial Guard, Monsters Unleashed, Death's Heads

They fought monsters, so why not make them fight Monsters Unleashed? This worked really well.

Heroes: Gladiator Hulk, Hiroim, Korg, Miek, No-Name

I was tempted to put Silver Surfer in, but I wanted to play with the new guys.

One hand concentrated on Hulk and Korg, and one on Miek and No-Name. Both bought some Hiroim commons. This was a steamroller once the decks got going, which they did fast, thanks to card draw on one side and Feast on the other. Recruit was a problem that I refused to solve with SHIELD Officers, and so I didn't buy any rares (in fact, the Feast hand didn't buy anything over 4 Cost). The Red King didn't stand a chance; it helped that the scheme's Evil Wins condition could be avoided, unlike the previous two schemes.

Game 4 will be the Cytoplasm Spike one, so I get to punch the Red King again, this time with Caiera making her only appearance in this series. I'm not sure who I'll drop; maybe No-Name? I didn't get to read this bit in the comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep 'em coming, folks! I didn't read the World War Hulk comics (mainly because I don't like reading comics about heroes fighting each other), but I like playing thematic setups, especially when I'm familiarizing myself with a new expansion and introducing it to friends....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a break, but two days brings four games! All of them were two-handed, 'cause it's fun!

Game #4
Scheme: Cytoplasm Spike Invasion
MM: Red King
Villains: Sakaar Imperial Guard, Aspects of the Void, Sakaaran Hivelings
Aspects of the Void was kind of a weird pick, but I'm not using the Sentry as a Mastermind in this series, so I wanted to check out the Villain group. Maybe it represents the Hulk's allies getting spiked? I dunno.
Heroes: Caiera, Gladiator Hulk, Hiroim, Korg, Miek

This scheme is another race against the twists, but it went pretty smoothly. The decks got awfully thin, though, what with all the feasting. I don't like the Cytoplasm Spikes. I had to KO a couple of good heroes. One deck basically never got combos going. Korg continued to excel at card draw.

Game #5
Scheme: World War Hulk
MM: Illuminati
Extra MMs: Authoritarian Iron Man, Dr. Strange, MODOK
Obviously, the Illuminati need to be the Masterminds, but they aren't all in the game. I proxied Dr. Strange using Dr. Doom's cards (and the excellent card text database), but MODOK had to fill in for the hyper-intelligent Reed Richards.
Villains: Illuminati, Superhuman Registration Act, Savage Land Mutates
In the comics, pretty much everyone was against the Warbound. I don't have Villains, though, and I didn't want to proxy another group, so I just used the SRA and had the Mutates represent super-powered folks in general. I also wanted to try some Henchmen that didn't KO.
Heroes: Gladiator Hulk, Hiroim, Korg, Miek, No-Name

This one went down to the wire; I had three cards left in the Villain Deck. Luckily, a card effect that I can't recall allowed me to put a Scheme Twist on the bottom of the deck. The scores were 54-69, so there were tons of points in play, especially since I was able to get Hiroim's rare and rescue fourteen bystanders. Hiroim's rare won the game, ultimately. To date in this series, it's the only rare that I've managed to recruit while using a full-Warbound team. Those guys are really light on Recruit.

Game #6
Scheme: Subjugate with Obedience Discs
MM: King Hulk
Villains: Warbound, Lego Rogues Gallery, Death’s Heads
Okay, so Lego versions of Batman's enemies might not be thematic here, but I wanted to playtest some cards. Also, nobody was really on the Warbound's side, so anything's a stretch.
Heroes: Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, Hulkbuster Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Rick Jones
In the comics, Dr. Strange's hands are broken, so he can't use magic, Tony's armour is gone, and Black Bolt's wearing a muzzle. I used them anyway, 'cause who cares! Also, Rick Jones is there, talking calmly from the sidelines as always.

This game was mean. Apart from my custom cards combing nicely to fill up the city, I was able to easily keep ahead of the increasing card cost and, for once, recruited three out of four available rares. I also managed to transform three Captain Marvels and one Destiny Force. Hulk didn't stand a chance once things got rolling.

Game #7
Scheme: Break the World Asunder
MM: King Hulk
Villains: Warbound, Wrecking Crew, Shi’ar Death Commandos
In this set-up, the Wrecking Crew represents the damage Hulk & Sentry's fight does to the city, and the Shi'ar Death Commandos represent the alien Warbound, and also that I had to put in Henchmen regardless of their adhesion to theme.
Heroes: Amadeus Cho, Bruce Banner, Dr. Strange, Hulkbuster Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Namora, Sentry
Seven heroes... geez. Sentry is a given, and I had the Illuminati out anyway. Let's see... haven't used Namora yet, Cho is a Champion too (turns out that didn't matter)... uh, Bruce Banner because he's in there somewhere? FYI, seven heroes takes a long time to shuffle.

Well, there had to be a scheme I didn't like. This is one of those KO-increasing-numbers-of-Heroes-then-probably-lose schemes, and it's just a race. I won the race, but it was probably just luck. King Hulk, World-Smacker's Master Strike whiffed every time it went off, so that was nice. Sentry did nothing except get KOed. Oh, I discarded Agoraphobia to Smash effects a few times. That was something.

I'm going to take a break before Fall of the Hulks. It'll be MODOK and Skaar, and probably another hero with Hulk in the name. Maybe the Hulk? Probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Games #8 & #9
Scheme: Fall of the Hulks
MM: M.O.D.O.K.
Villains: Intelligence, Code Red, Cytoplasm Spikes
Heroes: Amadeus Cho, Bruce Banner, Namora, She-Hulk, Skaar
I had to throw in Namora, 'cause I hadn't gotten a chance to use her much. Other than that, it's the standard Hulks and Hulk-buddies.

Results: Two losses

Oh man, is MODOK ever the worst Mastermind to play this scheme with. Code Red doesn't help either. They're both Wound-generating machines. These games were no fun, but at least they were quick.

That's it! I'm definitely going to scout the forums for more thematic setups, and maybe try to play through each set that way (I'll definitely do it with new sets). It was a lot of fun, and I got to experience everything in WWH except for the Sentry MM (which I'll try some other time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.