Subject: Get rid of the dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to actually play this myself yet, but one common critique I see is the randomness and that you can get hosed by a bad roll and/or the placements before your turn.

Has anyone tried just not rolling the dice? I can see two ways to do this:

1 - on your turn you get your choice of symbols on the dice (moon/sun/blank) but they can't match.

2 - on your turn you can choose your two actions and then you can either take one at the low value and one at the high OR take both with the middle value.

To account for Events you could agree to draw and reveal a new one every X turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C GX
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one would ever take a moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breaking Games
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirjonsnow wrote:
I haven't had a chance to actually play this myself yet, but one common critique I see is the randomness and that you can get hosed by a bad roll and/or the placements before your turn.

Has anyone tried just not rolling the dice? I can see two ways to do this:

1 - on your turn you get your choice of symbols on the dice (moon/sun/blank) but they can't match.

2 - on your turn you can choose your two actions and then you can either take one at the low value and one at the high OR take both with the middle value.

To account for Events you could agree to draw and reveal a new one every X turns.

(Mike says) Thanks for reading up on Rise of Tribes and sharing your thoughts Jeff. Breaking Games has worked really hard to get Rise of Tribes to the current rule set. We look forward to reading about your experience playing the game as published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No and no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bree Goldman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would urge you to give it a try before becoming overly concerned about the impact of randomness and bad rolls. One of the fascinating things about this system is the way your decisions impact those of the other players. For example, if you roll lots of moons, everyone else is going to have to contend with moons in their patterns on their upcoming turns.

Additionally, rolling moons or blanks does not always directly equate to rolling poorly. Rolling doubles triggers events, which can be beneficial. The active player gets the first opportunity to take advantage of these.

The game is a lot of fun even when you're not rolling lots of suns. I hope you get a chance to play soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I see is the randomness and that you can get hosed by a bad roll

Hosed? No. Inhibited? Yes.

The randomness argument doesn't resonate as much with me, personally, when weighed against the vast number of games where die randomness literally gates off what you can and can't do.

In ROT, you're never prohibited from an action based on the random result of the die. You're only limited in how potent that action is when you use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
There’s always going to be randomness when dealing with dice and a shuffled deck of cards. If you don’t want luck to affect your turn, stay away from these ones of games. Rise of tribes has a luck aspect to it (because of the dice of course) but to say that you’re hosed completely is wrong. The game gives you plenty of chances to mitigate this luck (smart dice placement) and even gives you other ways to strategize around bad rolls (board control and meeple placement).

Just play the game a bit.

Then come up with you own variants.

But changing the main action mechanism may not be a good idea.

My two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gingrasc wrote:
No one would ever take a moon.

You're right, even if you made a Moon-Blank-Sun group they could then make it Blank-Moon-Blank.

I just bring up an alternative because there's a couple people in my group who cry about anything with dice because they "get bad rolls" and I was wondering if anyone had the same and tried working around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth van Doorn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should try to present this game to them as an option *with* the dice as is.

Rise Of Tribes has space for the luck of the dice to be mitigated by player decisions. You can do other actions or other strategies than you may have intended, it is a good game for opportunists. And at absolute worst case, you always get to do *something* - you're never excluded from acting.

Interestingly, "rolling badly" doesn't always hurt you - in fact it can be a strategic advantage! The strength of your actions is in large part determined by the collective luck of the *group*, and how other players have chosen to assign dice. If others have assigned suns, you rolling moons or blanks may still mean you get strong actions. Rolling moons can also be handy if you want to "poison the well" and reduce the chances of strong actions for later players (handy if you're in a strong position and don't want someone making a rapid comeback!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have the same people who complain about bad rolls.

Then they play the game, and quickly realize that "what your two dice rolled" is only one small part of your overall turn, easily dwarfed by what dice are already in play on the action board.

And even if you roll a moon, before you grumble about it, rolling a moon is how you screw the next players turns (possibly a few players, depending), which is a key part of the game.

This isn't Catan, where the die roll is all that matters. It's what you do with the dice that determines how your turn goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakwngbrd wrote:
I would urge you to give it a try before becoming overly concerned about the impact of randomness and bad rolls. One of the fascinating things about this system is the way your decisions impact those of the other players. For example, if you roll lots of moons, everyone else is going to have to contend with moons in their patterns on their upcoming turns.

Additionally, rolling moons or blanks does not always directly equate to rolling poorly. Rolling doubles triggers events, which can be beneficial. The active player gets the first opportunity to take advantage of these.

The game is a lot of fun even when you're not rolling lots of suns. I hope you get a chance to play soon!

+1

Given the next player only gets to choose 2 of 4 actions your dice can potentially affect any other player (Which once the game gets going can be very important, as sometimes I won't take a certain action because my die may make it a better outcome for say the player that is in lead, than myself). There is more strategy to using the dice than some people are realising on initial plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.