Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up a copy of Darkest Night Second Edition, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've been mulling over different party combinations, and as a CPA in a relatively slow time of the year, I decided to crunch the numbers. Y'know...for fun

There are a total of 29 different heroes, which are combined into parties of four heroes per game. The base number of possible pairings is:

29!/(4!*(29-4)!) = 23,751 unique party combinations

However, that assumes that each hero has only one starting configuration, which isn't the case in DN2e. Each hero has a collection of five possible Starting Power cards, from which they may select three. That means that each hero has a total of 10 unique starting configurations, depending on which of the Power Cards they select.

With a total of 10 configurations for each hero, the total number of unique configurations for any given party of four heroes is 10^4, or 10,000 different possible Starting Power combinations across that group.

Thus, if there are 23,751 possible combinations of four heroes and each combination of 4 heroes has a total of 10,000 possible starting power configurations, we get a whopping:

237,510,000 unique starting party/power configurations!

So if your goal is to try every possible combination at least once, and assuming that a typical game can be completed in 90 minutes, then Darkest Night Second Edition comes jam-packed with roughly 40,669.5 YEARS of content to explore. Good times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
90 minutes!? I've never come close to 90 minutes. :)

yeah, there's a lot of replayability in this box. I enjoy the game but i'm not sure how much my group enjoys it. They always seem to be on tablets or minds elsewhere when we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice Math!

yeah, the game rocks both in gameplay, lore, storytelling, cooperation aspects, and of course replaybility.

I'm trying to keep the story telling, and the cooperative discussions on the table, to avoid cellphones, and tablets, which are indeed board-game killers nowadays .

maybe this game calls for certain group of fantasy players, with lore, and eager for this kind of games, though it is an easy game to teach, and cooperative, someone who does not truly enjoy fantasy, will not fully understand the abilities, the reason behind them, the purpose of their names, and the whole package of fantasy presented by the game richly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Naesborg
Denmark
Lynge
flag msg tools
badge
Deadpool
mbmbmbmbmb
Close!
I only have to play it 237.509.996 times more to have fullfilled that quest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
with roughly 40,669.5 YEARS of content to explore.

zombie Too many years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.