BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Dictatorship 101: Block the Press rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/25/media/white-house-kaitlan-c...

Reporter asks questions the President doesn't like, and gets banned from an event later in the day. His cronies claimed she was loud and disrespectful, other press corp indicate she was not. Not surprisingly, the questions were about Cohen and the tape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea this is bad.

The press should start just asking the same question.

If they don't, he's going to pick them off one by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shep Smith came out very strongly against this on Fox News.

He and Chris Wallace seem to be conservative but still sane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david stairs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

I wouldn't really call Shep, conservative. IMO he's slightly left of center.. BUT i do feel it was in bad taste doing that sort of reprisal.
BUT I ALSO feel that the reporter was OFF making it sound like she had a RIGHT to be at any presser..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

I wouldn't really call Shep, conservative. IMO he's slightly left of center.. BUT i do feel it was in bad taste doing that sort of reprisal.
BUT I ALSO feel that the reporter was OFF making it sound like she had a RIGHT to be at any presser..

Shep Smith is not liberal. Neither is Chris Wallace.

I can't find a definitive quote but here's one opinion that seems to fit.
Quote:

He’s (Shep Smith's) against Trump has been for a couple years. He’s far far from a liberal in his overall world views.

He’s a classic conservative in the make of George Will or egads Ronald Reagan. Reagan would have problems operating in the modern Republican party (even Ronald Reagan Jr. has been quoted on that a number of times) he’d be called a RINO in a heartbeat. That doesn’t make Reagan a liberal anymore than it makes Shepard Smith one.

I was and am still conservatives myself in many of the same ways I was when I was voting for Reagan and George Bush, Sr. The current GOP moved away from me to the right. On meaningless political polls here, I've typically come in at the center- neither left nor right.

But republicans have forgotten what true left wing is like and now think center is left wing. It's not.

George Will remains unpleasantly conservative to my tastes. I consider him far right. And *he's* left the republican party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Dangerous country. The American people have a right to hear differrent views from trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

BUT I ALSO feel that the reporter was OFF making it sound like she had a RIGHT to be at any presser.

She was acting as a pool reporter when she asked the question. So excluding her is attempting to censor all.

But you need a more robust press as well. One that all asks Trump to his face why he is lying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Fox News as a whole has condemned the White House decision:
https://nypost.com/2018/07/26/fox-news-slams-bill-shine-for-...

Fox News president makes it pretty clear that it is crossing a line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Sewell
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Dearlove wrote:
She was acting as a pool reporter when she asked the question. So excluding her is attempting to censor all.

Worth repeating I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
There is a difference between black-balling a reporter and enacting laws with real penalties that suppress speech and the press. Trump has, for as long as I have been aware of the man, been a thin-skinned, hypersensitive pussy. The idea that there are "inappropriate" questions one can ask a politician is almost ludicrous (questions about sex positions, yeah, inappropriate). As a former journalist, I think it's stupid but that's our President. No surprise that he can't take tough questions.

May God save the Republic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david stairs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Hence my statement of "he's slightly left of center"..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Hence my statement of "he's slightly left of center"..

No. He's conservative on many issues. So is Chris Wallace.

He's not extremist right. The best I can give you is, "Shep Smith is slightly right of center" while I'm really thinking "Shep Smith is right of center but not insane or authoritarian."

Your point of reference is skewed in my opinion. You seem to think what was very conservative only 30 years ago is now liberal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david stairs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

He's not extremist right. The best I can give you is, "Shep Smith is slightly right of center" while I'm really thinking "Shep Smith is right of center but not insane or authoritarian."

Not from my perception, he's not..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Which merely indicates how distorted your perspective is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

You wish to provide examples of him being “left of Center” or is criticism of The Donald enough for your perception ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david stairs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

You wish to provide examples of him being “left of Center” or is criticism of The Donald enough for your perception ?

It's a mix of his consistent anti-trum rhetoric, and the following sites, which seem to show his liberalism..
https://www.redstate.com/diary/hanoverhenry/2012/05/10/is-fo...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111102124344A...

http://fromtheright.com/megyn-kelly-reveals-which-fox-news-h...

So that's three different sites, all giving weight to someone's POV of him being liberal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

It's a mix of his consistent anti-trum rhetoric, and the following sites, which seem to show his liberalism..

So that's three different sites, all giving weight to someone's POV of him being liberal.

That is three opinion pieces, all of which suffer from the same malady you seem to suffer from: that you aren't as far from the center as you think. The further from the center a person is, the further the entire political scale skews if they insist on thinking of themselves as relatively moderate and that most people share their views.

Criticizing Trump does not have anything to do with whether one is liberal or conservative. It has to do with how deeply vested in team politics one is. If you are all about party-before-country, then criticizing Trump does indeed cast someone as a liberal. If you are objective and can evaluate an individual as separate from a philosophy, then there is no link between the two.

Liberals who criticized Obama didn't suddenly become conservative, did they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Oh dear if you get your info from this sort of stuff no wonder you spout nonsense,
You do realise that Yahoo answers is just anybody typing anything don't you?
The other two aren't much better. You should read something written by journalists who do research and can write.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
garhkal wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

You just sited Yahoo answers as a source. Yahoo answers. As a source. Holly hell. I just don’t even.... what is happening here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david stairs
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:

Oh dear if you get your info from this sort of stuff no wonder you spout nonsense

I just did a bing search for "Is Sheppard smith a liberal or a conservative". Those were 3 of the first 5 sites listed (one was a most defnite right wing site which i thought would be totally dismissed right off the bat) the other was a news paper, which required an account to read.. So i dismissed that too..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

Oh dear if you get your info from this sort of stuff no wonder you spout nonsense

I just did a bing search for "Is Sheppard smith a liberal or a conservative". Those were 3 of the first 5 sites listed (one was a most defnite right wing site which i thought would be totally dismissed right off the bat) the other was a news paper, which required an account to read.. So i dismissed that too..

You might want to try google. I don't think much of bing. For privacy DuckDuckGo isn't bad but (imho) the results are not as good yet.

However, Google skews the results to create info bubbles more these days so they may be part of the problem. That's why i recommended a private browser window. You'll see a less biased view that isn't custom tailored to your tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

This research methodology made me laugh out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
garhkal wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

This research methodology made me laugh out loud.

Don't be too harsh on him. Unless one has had the opportunity to study research methods beyond what the schools teach, it can be difficult to understand the pitfalls involved. Give the guy some pointers on how to judge the veracity of information sources.

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar*.

*Yes, I'm aware that one can can even more flies with shit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Shepard Smith tries to do a old school news cast. So he tends to come across more neutral than some, I suppose. However, I would never call him left of center. Not on Fox News.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garhkal wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:

This is not a good justification for using Yahoo Answers as a source of information. In fact what it really shows is that you consume information in such a lazy and careless manner that any opinions you’ve formed based on that information are all but useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.