Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giacomo Fusetti
Italy
Turate
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,
I have a question about the game in the playbook. Why does the German player get to execute four orders in turn 5 (instead of the two allowed by the scenario)?

Also, maybe it's me (I never played Combat Commander), but I feel like the rulebook is very poorly written. Poorly like in too intricate, verbose and messy, not like it's missing something. I went through it two times now, and also played through the game example with the map and the counters on the table, and still I don't feel like I could sit and play it by myself.
Take LOS, for example. Rules to understand how it works are scattered through the LOS paragraph, the terrain rules and the terrain cost paper. And the related example is based on height rules that are not even mentioned apart from the terrain paper. Or movement... to understand it completely you have to refer to the Move paragraph and to both the Leader's command paragraph and the Road terrain one.
What is truly missing is a clear, schematic game flow, and a way to summarize core concepts. Like Fire is quite a straightforward concept in the game, and flows great in actual playing - then why does it need one full page on the rulebook? And a full page is like three very dense columns, small fonts and no images.

I don't know. As I said maybe it's me but this is definitely not the first time I'm learning a game, or a wargame, but with GWC is kind of frustrating - especially because I know the game is amazing and I can't wait to play it properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The excess Orders on Turn 5 are listed as a mistake in the Errata thread in this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lexpweller wrote:
Hello,
I have a question about the game in the playbook. Why does the German player get to execute four orders in turn 5 (instead of the two allowed by the scenario)?

Also, maybe it's me (I never played Combat Commander), but I feel like the rulebook is very poorly written. Poorly like in too intricate, verbose and messy, not like it's missing something. I went through it two times now, and also played through the game example with the map and the counters on the table, and still I don't feel like I could sit and play it by myself.
Take LOS, for example. Rules to understand how it works are scattered through the LOS paragraph, the terrain rules and the terrain cost paper. And the related example is based on height rules that are not even mentioned apart from the terrain paper. Or movement... to understand it completely you have to refer to the Move paragraph and to both the Leader's command paragraph and the Road terrain one.
What is truly missing is a clear, schematic game flow, and a way to summarize core concepts. Like Fire is quite a straightforward concept in the game, and flows great in actual playing - then why does it need one full page on the rulebook? And a full page is like three very dense columns, small fonts and no images.

I don't know. As I said maybe it's me but this is definitely not the first time I'm learning a game, or a wargame, but with GWC is kind of frustrating - especially because I know the game is amazing and I can't wait to play it properly.

Hey Giacomo -- welcome to the Combat Commander family!

The original CC rulebook is widely regarded as one of the best in the business, and I agree. But I also agree that the GWC rulebook is really not as tight as its predecessor (despite being based on it).
Still, I think it does a pretty good job. Perhaps watching a video would help you: you could see the game in action, and then get back to the rulebook with a much clearer understanding of the game flow.

In any case, don't be afraid to ask questions! We're a friendly bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Fusetti
Italy
Turate
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, I will.
I'm at the third reading now, and things are getting a little clearer... I'm almost ready to put it on the table again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.