Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Kizer
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played over 100 Playtest games with the designer Ryan Courtney over the last year and a half so I will try to explain some of the game play so people will know what to expect when this great game comes out.

Pipeline is an economic engine building game where the player with the most money in the end wins. You make money by buying different types of crude oil and useing a personal network of pipe tiles to refine the oil to different quality grades then selling it.

On the top right of the main board you can see the round marker. Pipeline is played over three years. The first year has 8 rounds, the second year has 6 rounds, and the third year has 4 rounds. Each player gets one turn each round. Each of your turns has you taking one action with ways to buy secondary actions. The nature of the engine building in the game means that even though the third year only has half the rounds of the first it is where most of the money is made.

The upper left of the main board is where you can see the requirements for each type of oil. These numbers tell you what color pipes you need and how long they need to be. These numbers are taken from a random pile of number tiles and placed randomly. This is just the tip of the iceberg for random setup in this game so each play is very different.

The personal player area includes a mat for your tanks to hold your oil. On the right side of the mat is a reminder of the end game scoring. Off the right side of the mat is where you hold any contracts you need to fulfill, any orders you have fulfilled (contracts and orders are similar but different things in Pipeline), and any upgrade cards you have purchased. Off the left side is the players personal network of pipetiles. Keep in mind this is a representation of early game, you can look forward to building a large network of tiles.

This is where the main actions in the game are. The pipe tiles are all randomly placed each game. The pipes that surround the cross of actions are the goverment tiles. They are bought by putting your worker on a tile and buying that and surrounding tiles. Keep in mind this is not a worker placement game. Your worker is just there to show you what secondary actions you can take. The actions on the cross are where you can take other actions in the game. They include other ways to buy pipes, ways to buy and sell oil and ways to buy machines and tanks. The four actions in the middle (where the white and green workers are placed in this image for example) are placed randomly each game. This changes which actions are next to which other actions for secondary actions.

This image shows the shops. The shops allow you another way to buy pipe tiles and lets you buy more tanks for your oil and machines to automate you network. Machines allow you let you refine oil each turn instead of using one of your turns to refine it but it does cost money to turn your machines on and money is points so try not to get a machine to early or you will be spending all your profits just running the machine.

This area shows the available contracts and orders. Contracts and orders are a way to sell oil that doesn’t take an action. You don’t get as much money when you sell to contracts but in a game where you only get 18 turns every saved action can be great. You get great money for orders but they can be much harder to fulfill and unlike contracts you can only sell to each one once.

These are the upgrades. Upgrades either give you great one time bonuses or can give you great extra abilities during the game. They can be expensive to get and the other players will try to block you from getting them but they just might be worth it.

And finally these are the end game valuations. There are a bunch of these and only three get used each game. You almost certainly can not win if you ignore these. Sometimes you will need to base your entire game on these and other times you can just change your end game to make sure you add to your score.

Well that was a quick summery. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Instagram - @villagemeeple
badge
Instagram - @villagemeeple
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this. It's great to finally get a run down or something we've all been looking forward to so much.

what kind of a weight scale are we talking here? what would you compare it to weight wise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Balat
msg tools
Thanks a lot Tim, I have a better knowledge about this game thanks to you and now i really want to try it !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hable
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What player counts have you playtested with? How does it scale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fernandez
Spain
Mieres
Asturias
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, waiting to see the game published to buy it. Are there differences between games with 2,3 or 4 players? Does the game work equally well with different numbers of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
As long as I live, so long do I learn
badge
Peace is the inner nature of humankind. If you find it within yourself, you will then find it everywhere.
mbmbmbmbmb
CadizEstocolmo wrote:
Great review, waiting to see the game published to buy it. Are there differences between games with 2,3 or 4 players? Does the game work equally well with different numbers of players?
+1 for this question. Really curious how it plays with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kizer
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most of the testing was with 2 and it plays great at 2. With more players there is more oil to buy and more places to sell oil and also the shops have more things for sale. Score are lower with more players because some of your crude will cost more and you will sell it for less in the markets. I think it scales great.

As far as weight I would say that is one of the most interesting things. I think it will actually be very easy to learn but there is a lot of different options. The spatial puzzle of the pipe networks is gonna be very difficult for some people but others will have a much easier time. Also the variability of the setup will make different games have much different difficulties. I think it will settle between mid weight and heavy but it will be different for each play and each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Halton Hills
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankyou so much for posting this! It's great to get some insight into how the game works.
Velmer wrote:

Well that was a quick summery. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Pipeline looks fairly abstract at a glance, but did you feel like it was abstract while playing, or did you find that the various mechanisms and pieces of the game felt thematic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kizer
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
nakedmeeple wrote:

Pipeline looks fairly abstract at a glance, but did you feel like it was abstract while playing, or did you find that the various mechanisms and pieces of the game felt thematic?

I think it feels very thematic. By the end of the game when you have your machines running and you are selling to contracts you feel like the ceo of a company that only works half the time while making a ton of money thanks to your hard work in starting and running a company from the ground up. Don’t get my wrong those last turns are some of the hardest work in the game but I think the fact that the last year has half the rounds represents the fact that you take a lot of vacations because you have the money and the company runs itself well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Halton Hills
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Velmer wrote:
nakedmeeple wrote:

I think it feels very thematic. By the end of the game when you have your machines running and you are selling selling to contracts you feel like the ceo of a company that only works half the time while making a ton of money thanks to your hard work in starting and running a company from the ground up. Don’t get my wrong those last turns are some of the hardest work in the game but I think the fact that the last year has half the rounds represents the fact that you take a lot of vacations because you have the money and the company runs itself well.

I'm sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanan Ubis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a prototype with the designer and the game is great! It definitely feels thematic in the general sense of building pipelines to improve your company is reflected in the mechanics, but I wouldn't say the game is steeped in lore or anything like that. The main driver of the game is really the interwovenness of the mechanics and the fun of creating crazy pipelines / machines, not necessarily to simulate company and resource production.

In other words, the game is very much a Euro with mathematical/abstract origins centered around pipeline-building and automation, and the general theme feels it is part of the game as one would say with Castles of Burgundy for instance. Like CoB, some of the details did feel thematically interchangeable... but I am talking about prototype, maybe the final product will be different.

Also what Ian O'Toole has done with the artwork is incredible, and it seems like it will add a lot of richness to an already rich game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Mighty
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this kinda like a heavier power grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kizer
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
GustavTheMighty wrote:
Is this kinda like a heavier power grid?

I honestly don't think I see almost any similarities to Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
msg tools
govindk wrote:
CadizEstocolmo wrote:
+1 for this question. Really curious how it plays with 2.

I played it with two a few weeks ago. It was really good with two.

In general, I find most games that say that you can play with two you end up playing a light version of the game or half the game. This felt like the full experience with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven R
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
What's a realistic play time with 4 players? 18 rounds total x 4 players seems more like 2.5 hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kizer
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
swr66 wrote:
What's a realistic play time with 4 players? 18 rounds total x 4 players seems more like 2.5 hours?

A typical play time is 30 minutes per player. That is player dependent of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Santacruz de la Torre
Spain
Rivas Vaciamadrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I just discovered this game and looks really interesting.

I have some doubts before taking "my decision"

First, it seems that some elements of the game (some in the setup I believe) are randomly placed so this adds replayability. Could you enumerate these elements and how they affect the game in this aspect?

Second, I have the idea that most of the eurogames (sorry but I'm mainly a wargamer player) are too much multiplayer solo games, in which each player tries to do it better than the others but with few or none interaction between players. How do you rate this game in this term? Do the players decisions affect directly other players strategies or benefits?

Thanks in advance!

Gonzalo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric V
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My major issue with this game is that I don't feel fully the theme inside. I try to understand why a longer pipe can influence the oil quality? I would understand if I had to pay for upgrading my refinery allowing me to process crude oil to an higher grade oil more valuable on markets. I would also understand to construct pipelines for accessing to a cheaper crude oil ressources. But here, I am confused.
I associate a pipeline (or a tanker) as a way to conduct and not to process oil.
So something looks odd here to me for representing the real world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Courtney

NYC
New York
msg tools
designer
o0FrenchFrog0o wrote:
My major issue with this game is that I don't feel fully the theme inside. I try to understand why a longer pipe can influence the oil quality? I would understand if I had to pay for upgrading my refinery allowing me to process crude oil to an higher grade oil more valuable on markets. I would also understand to construct pipelines for accessing to a cheaper crude oil ressources. But here, I am confused.
I associate a pipeline (or a tanker) as a way to conduct and not to process oil.
So something looks odd here to me for representing the real world.

The pipe tiles are an abstraction of building and running a refinery. The longer the line, the longer the refinement process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Courtney

NYC
New York
msg tools
designer
Erwin wrote:
Hi, I just discovered this game and looks really interesting.

I have some doubts before taking "my decision"

First, it seems that some elements of the game (some in the setup I believe) are randomly placed so this adds replayability. Could you enumerate these elements and how they affect the game in this aspect?

Second, I have the idea that most of the eurogames (sorry but I'm mainly a wargamer player) are too much multiplayer solo games, in which each player tries to do it better than the others but with few or none interaction between players. How do you rate this game in this term? Do the players decisions affect directly other players strategies or benefits?

Thanks in advance!

Gonzalo

Things that are randomized during setup: the contracts (10 unique at each level), orders (8 unique at each level), all pipe tiles (135 unique), the four central action tiles, and the end game valuation cards (16).

Because everything in the game is of limited supply and/or demand and money is tight, there is substantial player interaction especially as you become a more skilled player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gipson
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Triangulated Reviews
badge
ApolloRa Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the fence about backing this one. It looks great and I do love heavy Euros with s lot of theme! I have a few questions.

1) Does the same meta or strategy start to develop as you play the game, or can players explore different strategies and be successful?
2) On the topic of Meta, I noticed taking a loan as an action which gives you a permanent negative cube. Is part of the meta, since it is its own action, players to be competitive have to go into debt, or can you play differently and still compete? I don’t tend to care for games which the expectations for what is optimal is s programed first few turns (especially. Starvation/Debt strategies)

Thematically...

3)What do the different colored oil cubes represent? ... I don’t understand the industry well, but I do understand how increased levels of refinement turn crude into various levels of fuel from diesel to jet fuel ... but what do the colors of different cubes represent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kizer
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
1: You will have to play a different style each game depending on which end game valuations are in the game, the different requirements and whether you feel like you need to try to slow other players down by getting in there way.

2: You do not necessarily need to get a loan to play well. I have had many games without a loan and many games with multiple loans. It is mostly up to your personal style of gameplay.

3: The three different colors just represent different types of oils. The game is not trying to be a simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.