Subject: Favorite Henchman group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone talks about their preferred Mastermind, their favorite heroes, and there have also been discussion regarding which villain group is the best! Nonetheless, one of the most important elements in any Legendary game is made of the Henchmen Villains. Which one is your favorite group?

I'm a big fan of the Maggia Goons (Dark City). Because they have Bribe, you can defeat them easily even at the beginning of the game, which sometimes can turn out to be very important (for instance, in games where the Scheme has a villain in the city escape, or capture a bystander, or do something else).

Multiple Man (Villains core set) is also an interesting twist on the old KO a hero if you defeat this henchman mechanic. That's standard! How about KOing a hero for each Multiple Man henchman in your Victory Pile? In 4 or 5 players, this might not be problematic. If you play in 2, as I always do, then attacking them is not always the best course of action!

Khonsu Guardians
(Secret Wars Volume 2) are interesting because I enjoy cards that make use of the city spaces. They are there with a reason, after all, not just for some thematic flavor!

Hellfire Cult (X-men) is also an interesting group, with one of the most beneficial effects for players. When you fight them, you have to reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs 0, you KO it, Punisher-style. If it doesn't cost 0, then you get +1 recruit. It's not much, but it's better than having to KO an expensive card!

Sakaaran Hivelings (World War Hulk). Feasting with a twist! A bit risky, but at least you can save that rare card that is right on top of your deck.

What are your picks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
To be honest, anything with a KO goes high on the list.

Can't think of any in particular. The Sentinels are the least limiting group, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falco Timmerman
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I quite like the Doombots; there's a KO element to them, but not hugely flexible and it can really screw you over if you happen to draw two big cards with it; having to KO one of them (especially early on) will really hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levymealone
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'd like to give a shout out to Shi'ar Patrol Craft. Giving a hero soaring flight is fun, not too strong (unlike Hellfire Cult), and not too weak (unlike Hand Ninjas).
Definitely an enjoyable balanced group.

Dishonorable mention to Thor Corps. I hate those guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sakaaran Hivelings

Nice blend of risk/reward
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Medaris
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like my henchmen to fit in with the mastermind and villains I have in the game. I tend to use the Maggia Goons, Hellfire Cult, and Hand Ninjas the most, since they can be justified as a generic filler henchmen group for most schemes.

I really wish UD would give us some more henchmen groups along these lines for a bit more variety. I'd love to see AIM, the Yakuza, Dos Soles Cartel, and maybe the Yancy Street Gang or Damage Control too added into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the way that Mandroid and The Brood go from easy to very, very tough. Mandroid is more fun in a multi-player game, where you can manage their Attack value better. The Brood just ramp up no matter what. I'd love to try a game sometime using Thanos, Corvus Glaive, and the Brood. Yuck.

I like Savage Land Mutates for their Fight effect. It's not KOing, but having extra cards in hand can be really useful. I don't use them enough.

levymealone wrote:

Haha, yeah. Thor Corps never gets invited to parties. I also hate Ghost Racers. Rise of the Living Dead isn't enough, they've also got a crappy Fight effect that quickly goes from sort-of-useful to terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Legendary Fanatic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Circus of Crime. The top card of your deck gets KO'd if it has a zero cost or drawn if doesn't. Usually a win-win situation. Plus there's the nostalgia factor. I still remember them from when I first started reading comics back in the 70's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Ducharme
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
levymealone wrote:

They synergise really well with Lady Thor and Captain Marvel, but that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Spider-Infected. And I'm also one who hates the Thor Corps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falco Timmerman
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
The Brood just ramp up no matter what. I'd love to try a game sometime using Thanos, Corvus Glaive, and the Brood. Yuck.

I recently played a game against The Red King with Thanos in the hero pool and The Brood as henchmen. Screwed myself over really when I thought I had seen all of The Brood and went to town with Thanos' rare only to find out at the end the Red King was stuck in his 7-damage side (all Master Strikes had been drawn) with one last huge Broodling (25-30 attack) in the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spider-Infected because you get 2VPs and Wall-Crawl.

I like both Shi’ar groups too.

I’m also really enjoying the cytoplasm Spikes from WWH. I find myself thinking 2 extra recruit could nab me a good rare or uncommon, so I’ll hit them and hope I hit a non-grey card, if not at least I get a KO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alduc wrote:
levymealone wrote:

They synergise really well with Lady Thor and Captain Marvel, but that's about it.

And Thor and anything with Focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
klakak wrote:
Alduc wrote:
levymealone wrote:

And Thor and anything with Focus.

And decks you think are just working too darned well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stilllovemarvel wrote:
Circus of Crime. The top card of your deck gets KO'd if it has a zero cost or drawn if doesn't. Usually a win-win situation. Plus there's the nostalgia factor. I still remember them from when I first started reading comics back in the 70's.

These guys are so helpful, they feel almost a bit cheaty. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love all of the Henchmen from the X-Men expansion.

Sentinels are my favorite Henchmen from the core set. I have a love/hate relationship with Doombot Legion. I hate them when I have to KO a non-starter hero!

I'm actually not crazy about the Maggia Goons. I'd rather use the recruit to recruit a hero than to bribe some goon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I'm surprised no one mentioned the MODOKs yet. Not only do you usually get to kill off one of your Agents but you get an extra point of Recruit, too. The benefits get ridiculous if you played Absorb Energies that turn but usually it's a charming effect. I've never done even the most cursory checking up on it, but I'm under the impression that I'm more likely to win a game if the Henchmen are MODOKs or Maggia. It's far less true for them, but the Hand can also help, and obviously the MODOKs do that too but while ridding you of an Agent.

I definitely agree that the Henchmen with the KO effect are the ones that help you the most, but I'd add the caveat that the ones that kill only Attack-generating cards are less useful, since you start with more Agents than Troopers and while you can almost always get an Officer you might not be able to replace a Trooper with a superior source of Attack if, say, the cards in the HQ are too expensive for you.

Edit: The Mandroids and Brood are definitely interesting but I don't always like them. There are times where the Brood in particular just get to be too big, and I've always disliked those Schemes involving super-powered Henchmen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to pick Maggia Goons because you can use either attack or recruit on them. In early game that's crucial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.