Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Been burning the midnight oil learning this game. Literally. The only time I can really game is either when my twin girls take a nap (they are 20 months old), or at night when they are sleeping. So, I usually spend my time from midnight to 2am playing a game.

My game set up:



Each side gets a leader and a hand of cards. As it is the cards and the activation markers that give you variability on how to use your forces.









Set up for the Polish Campaign--looks like a giant gray alligator about to swallow those white units up. (MY first big decision of the game came when I had to decide, as the Germans, which Polish units to place NO ACTIONS on. Ummmmm, choices, choices, choices... Oh, and the Polish got the event that made Czech neutral, so there is a nice chunk the Poles don't have to worry about defending.)



My wife is from Poland, one of the reasons I got the game, her hometown is somewhere close to Wilno. Her hometown, Suwalki, was close to where the Germans and Russians had split Poland up, so I think they were under German rule for a little bit and then the Russians at some point. But her grandparents had a farm right on the line and so during the early days German and Russian soldiers would patrol the area and would sometimes come by. They 'liked' the Germans better because they always had better food to trade, whereas the Russian soldiers were so bad off, they usually didn't have anything to offer.



(more to come later)
5 
 Thumb up
1.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
You probably made a small set-up mistake with the Poles up north near the “corridor”. Check the game set-up sheet, two Polish units must set-up North or the Polish Corridor Line.



Getting the non-invaded czechoslovakia was very lucky, this should help the embattled Poles a lot. This is the best random event for them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
licinius wrote:
You probably made a small set-up mistake with the Poles up north near the “corridor”. Check the game set-up sheet, two Polish units must set-up North or the Polish Corridor Line.



Getting the non-invaded czechoslovakia was very lucky, this should help the embattled Poles a lot. This is the best random event for them.


Crap! Good to know, another reason I'm going to post some stuff on my first game.

Some impressions on the Germans so far, maybe due to my lucky Polish event, but there doesn't seem to be as much room for blitzkrieging stuff. I'll have to load up a picture of my current turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
patton55 wrote:

Crap! Good to know, another reason I'm going to post some stuff on my first game.

Some impressions on the Germans so far, maybe due to my lucky Polish event, but there doesn't seem to be as much room for blitzkrieging stuff. I'll have to load up a picture of my current turn.


And do not forget that for the "Alternate History" events you can use a special play-balance rule (26.4, page 38). meeple
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
Beginning Turn 3:



Polish gave up Czastochowa and Torun on the the Surrender chits. Germans took Poznan and Lodz with force. I'm sure I'm stacking some of my Polish Cavalry wrong, I know Rydz doesn't allow different groups to stack unless in city, but wasn't sure if that was a rule for the cavalry as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
patton55 wrote:
Beginning Turn 3:


Interesting situation!

Historically the German Panzers up north (Guderian) raced over the Polish Corridor into East Prussia and came around the Polish Armies to attack Warszawa/Praga from the rear.

Also do not forget that German units with "Blitzkrieg" markers are pretty immune to Prepared Combat (rule 19.6).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
Dammit. Guess I'm going to have to probably get this game sometime. How does it play solo? I love playing No Retreat! (Germany vs. Russia) solo without the solo rules - does this game play just as well? Sounds like it may play even better with all the alternative history and randomized limitations, which may even add replayability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
Noonespecial wrote:
Dammit. Guess I'm going to have to probably get this game sometime. How does it play solo? I love playing No Retreat! (Germany vs. Russia) solo without the solo rules - does this game play just as well? Sounds like it may play even better with all the alternative history and randomized limitations, which may even add replayability.


Well I played it solo the majority of the time, and I liked it a lot, obviously.

Of course given the hidden cards and markers, you have to be a bit of a "split personality" but given that there is more stuff to track than in the first game of the series (Russian Front) I find it easier to play solo, especially the Polish campaign game.

As for the French Front, there are those pesky "Secret Plans" cards. But it is not a major hurdle IMHO.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
Noonespecial wrote:
Dammit. Guess I'm going to have to probably get this game sometime. How does it play solo? I love playing No Retreat! (Germany vs. Russia) solo without the solo rules - does this game play just as well? Sounds like it may play even better with all the alternative history and randomized limitations, which may even add replayability.


I'm having a fun time with it solo. I just leave all the cards and chits face up. I'm usually so concentrated on one side and trying to figure plans, that I forget what cards the other side has.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
You guys have answers to these questions:

What does Battle Experience do? Especially card 60, place a GQG marker to the battle experience box? What happens then?

Card 77, Alternate Event for Germans. Why would the Germans ever play this? It gives them (-) VPs and if you roll 4-6 it helps the Polish. What am I missing?

Card 50, immediate event, Germans play it and then have to immediately give the card to the Polish, but by giving the card to the Polish, they are now at 5 cards, one card higher than leader max. Since technically the Polish have already drawn and discarded down to 4 cards, do they get to keep all five cards? (Timing here is key, because the rules say "each player draws four, one by one, ... If limit is exceeded, immediately discard extras." And the Polish have already done this step by the time the Germans give them another card, so now, I read that as, the Polish hold onto that fifth card).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
patton55 wrote:
You guys have answers to these questions:

What does Battle Experience do? Especially card 60, place a GQG marker to the battle experience box? What happens then?


The counters stay there for the rest of the game. This will be very useful as the events of the "GQG" markers are "dummies" and not playable for the Polish player. This way it removes those annoying useless markers from the player's hand.

AND it is not "place a GQG marker", the card states: "move any “GQG” markers in hand to the Battle Experience box.". Very different!

patton55 wrote:

Card 77, Alternate Event for Germans. Why would the Germans ever play this? It gives them (-) VPs and if you roll 4-6 it helps the Polish. What am I missing?


Argh... This is an edit error. it should not be the "Polish" player, but the "German" player that is on the card!!! Errata time... soblue

The text should be:

[21.1.5] Diplomatic Pressure (German Card #77):

1-3• Fearful Neutrals (–4VP): Polish supply cannot be
traced through white map borders.
Exception: Polish units can still be improved (12.2).

4-5• Inactive French Army (–2VP): Each time card
#72 Army Group West is drawn, the German
player immediately gets one free unit Improvement (9.1).

6• Belligerent Soviet Army (–2VP): Each time that card
#61 Joseph Stalin is drawn, the German
player rolls two dice on the card’s outcome
table and chose which applies.

patton55 wrote:

Card 50, immediate event, Germans play it and then have to immediately give the card to the Polish, but by giving the card to the Polish, they are now at 5 cards, one card higher than leader max. Since technically the Polish have already drawn and discarded down to 4 cards, do they get to keep all five cards? (Timing here is key, because the rules say "each player draws four, one by one, ... If limit is exceeded, immediately discard extras." And the Polish have already done this step by the time the Germans give them another card, so now, I read that as, the Polish hold onto that fifth card).


The Polish player keeps all his cards (more to come on this).

Edit:

The only time you have to discard excess cars is in the "Discard Step" of the Strategic Phase, rule 8.1

Also rule 5.5.4:

[5.5.4] Event Card Command Limit: The box lower right of the Leader’s picture defines the maximum number of Event cards that the player can keep in his hand at the end of the Draw phase (8.1) when that Leader is In Command.

So besides this "culling" of your card hand (the Discard step), you can keep as many you want, if you are lucky enough to get extras.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: No Retreat: A Lookt At My Set Up of the Polish Campaign
So question about my situation below:



So, we have the Germans who placed a chit to attack and the Polish placed a counterblow. Original plan for the Germans was to use the Wietersheim stack (a 3-6 and damaged 2-6) and then the 6-3 stack with another 6-3 underneath it to attack the Polish stack with the 2-5 Cavalry on it, which was gonna be a nice 17-4 attack, but of course now they have to deal with the CB. (I placed the Polish CB there because I don't want the Germans to have an easy attack on the other Polish stack there, blow the hole even wider).

What are my options on how to split the attack now?

1. Obviously, we could have the 6-3 stack attack the CB stack and the Wieterisheim stack attack the other one.

2. The 6-3 stack could attack both Polish stacks.

Is that the only options here? OR...

3. Can you have the 6-3 stack attack both stacks, with the Wietersheim assisting?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:

3. Can you have the 6-3 stack attack both stacks, with the Wietersheim assisting?


Nope, you cannot do this, as "Wietersheim" is not adjacent to both Polish stacks.

Page 17 of the rulebook:

[14.3.3] Adjacency in a Battle: For an attack to be resolved as a single Battle, each of the attacking units must be adjacent to all the targeted hexes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
patton55 wrote:

3. Can you have the 6-3 stack attack both stacks, with the Wietersheim assisting?


Nope, you cannot do this, as "Wietersheim" is not adjacent to both Polish stacks.

Page 17 of the rulebook:

[14.3.3] Adjacency in a Battle: For an attack to be resolved as a single Battle, each of the attacking units must be adjacent to all the targeted hexes.


Okay, that's what I thought. So, I made the right choice to place the Polish CB where I did, now the German stacks have to split up.

So, thematically speaking, what is going on in the picture above? The Germans are obviously trying to drive to Warsaw and cut off some of the Polish armies, the Polish seeing this, order a feint into the German flank to draw attention away from their main attack. This scares the Germans enough that the commander orders an attack on the Poles threatening their flank. Is that about right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of counterblow markers was that they represent basically a counterattack that the attacking force has to deal with, and that the counterattack maybe even happened during the attack, thus the attacking forces have to deal with a flanking, unexpected counterattack after they have already committed their forces on the main attack.

The reason why the attackers could have attacked with all of their forces during the main attack without having to split them up is because, previously to the placement of the counterblow marker, the enemy forces previously did not look geared up for a counteroffensive or a counterattack, and thus a small "holding force" from the attackers would have been enough to keep the enemy forces at bay. However, when the counterblow marker is placed upon those same enemy forces, that represents a major thrust by the enemy; one which the attacking forces must allocate much more of their own resources to deal with - and those resources may even have to come from the group they were planning on attacking with.

That's my understanding anyway...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, is there a decent chance for battle of Bzura to happen in your game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
My understanding of counterblow markers was that they represent basically a counterattack that the attacking force has to deal with, and that the counterattack maybe even happened during the attack, thus the attacking forces have to deal with a flanking, unexpected counterattack after they have already committed their forces on the main attack.


You are correct! meeple

They also represent the "Friction of War" where Attacks did not always go as planned and accidentally pursued divergent and unforeseen "objectives" not in the original battle plan.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adalbert wrote:
Carl, is there a decent chance for battle of Bzura to happen in your game?


I think yes. meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.