Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: how many games have been made with this idea? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm in the works of a game where the idea is you have cards.These cards in your hand would have actors/actresses names on them and you would have to lay them down one by one going clockwise only If you see another card on the board with an actor or actress who they have acted with at some point in time.My question is do you know what other games may have a very similar premise? I don't wanna go through all the trouble of creating my concept if im basically just making a remake of another game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of six degrees of separation.

Wouldn't you have to get the permission of every actor/actress to use their likeness in the game?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's kind of like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon: The Game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aqsmorningview wrote:
I'm in the works of a game where the idea is you have cards.These cards in your hand would have actors/actresses names on them and you would have to lay them down one by one going clockwise only If you see another card on the board with an actor or actress who they have acted with at some point in time.My question is do you know what other games may have a very similar premise? I don't wanna go through all the trouble of creating my concept if im basically just making a remake of another game.


Almost all games are remakes, or remixes, of pre-existing games. Often the theme is replaced to make the game seem "new".

Don't stress out over having an original idea. It's execution that matters.

Sure hope there is more to your game, as it sounds dreadfully dull so far.

ALSB wrote:
Reminds me of six degrees of separation.

Wouldn't you have to get the permission of every actor/actress to use their likeness in the game?


He didn't say anything about using likenesses. Names are fair game ... so long as the game can play dumb about their referring to a specific person, and its the players making that association. See trivial pursuit, and .... every CAH clone ever.

But, this would definitely need legal input.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ALSB wrote:
Reminds me of six degrees of separation.

Wouldn't you have to get the permission
of every actor/actress to use their likeness in the game?


A name isn’t a likeness.


On the downside it sounds like a game where if you could even fit all the relevant answers on the back of the card. - they’d go out of date very quickly.
Getting players to check answers on the internet sounds a fiddle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this all the time, just never with cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the basic idea behind Cinelinx!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Closest thing that comes to mind is a game called Timeline: Music & Cinema.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
it would be there names not likness
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
this is why I think it would be a cool concept in card forum.it wouldnt be so much connecting this person to this person in how many moves it would just be this person acted with this person so I can lay down my card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
PeterCHayward wrote:
This is the basic idea behind Cinelinx!
seems very similar but mine is only actors and actresses and just laying down the cards and not connecting them together
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Obidiah wrote:
ALSB wrote:
Reminds me of six degrees of separation.

Wouldn't you have to get the permission
of every actor/actress to use their likeness in the game?


A name isn’t a likeness.


On the downside it sounds like a game where if you could even fit all the relevant answers on the back of the card. - they’d go out of date very quickly.
Getting players to check answers on the internet sounds a fiddle.


i feel like if you have a dispute then internet movie database is your best friend,maybe that plays into the game in some way? looking it up and if your wrong then you collect cards in your hand?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see this being an interesting online/webapp game... you could use the API for IMDB (Internet Movie Database) for live statisics on who acted with whom.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
PlowStr8 wrote:
I could see this being an interesting online/webapp game... you could use the API for IMDB (Internet Movie Database) for live statisics on who acted with whom.


as much as that would be neat id really rather it be a physical game you can interact with people in the real world with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Schrimpl
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I agree. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon. Maybe try a different industry? Sports?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with these kinds of games is they get dated pretty fast.

Pete (wouldn't want to deal with that)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
plezercruz wrote:
The problem with these kinds of games is they get dated pretty fast.

Pete (wouldn't want to deal with that)


how so would they be dated?think about it one year some acters would never have worked with eachother but the following year they could possible now be in a movie together.The game could always be changing and you wouldnt even need to buy expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aqsmorningview wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
The problem with these kinds of games is they get dated pretty fast.

Pete (wouldn't want to deal with that)


how so would they be dated?think about it one year some acters would never have worked with eachother but the following year they could possible now be in a movie together.The game could always be changing and you wouldnt even need to buy expansions.


He's got you there Pete. Everyone knows that all working actors/actresses are immortal lizard people and were hatched from eggs in 1900. There has never been, nor will there ever be, a new actor or actress.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
aesthetocyst wrote:
aqsmorningview wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
The problem with these kinds of games is they get dated pretty fast.

Pete (wouldn't want to deal with that)


how so would they be dated?think about it one year some acters would never have worked with eachother but the following year they could possible now be in a movie together.The game could always be changing and you wouldnt even need to buy expansions.


He's got you there Pete. Everyone knows that all working actors/actresses are immortal lizard people and were hatched from eggs in 1900. There has never been, nor will there ever be, a new actor or actress.



well yes,technically I could make expansion packs for actors/actresses that arent in the game as themed packs
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Marcantel
United States
flag msg tools
I believe there is an old version of Pass the Popcorn that has this type of game in the box. The updated version of PtP doesn't have it but I know I owned the old version previously until it got misplaced and I had to order a new one and now it doesn't have the second game in it. Here's a picture I found of the old game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
Enjoy a HotMayoSandwich ™ today!
badge
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But this isn't a "game", this is just useless trivia. I know very little about this kind of thing, so I'd never even consider playing something like this.

Also, some cards would be more valuable than others, given the range of work of the actor/actress. Would the cards have different numerical values to accommodate for this? Would there be a mechanic to offset luck of the draw, like a card draft (think 7 Wonders)?

Would this require a rules lawyer to standby with a laptop and constantly check IMDB?

Sounds absolutely dreadful.

Edit: Spelling
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
That_Guy_There wrote:
I believe there is an old version of Pass the Popcorn that has this type of game in the box. The updated version of PtP doesn't have it but I know I owned the old version previously until it got misplaced and I had to order a new one and now it doesn't have the second game in it. Here's a picture I found of the old game.


had that game at some point and i vaguely remember what you are mentioning
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Tag
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
HotMayoSandwich wrote:
But this isn't a "game", this is just useless trivia. I know very little about this kind of thing, so I'd never even consider playing something like this.

Also, some cards would be more valuable than others, given the range of work of the actor/actress. Would the cards have different numerical values to accommodate for this? What there be a mechanic to offset luck of the draw, like a card draft (think 7 Wonders)?

Would this require a rules lawyer to standby with a laptop and constantly check IMDB?

Sounds absolutely dreadful.

Edit: Spelling


I agree this would be for a select group of movie nerds like myself and now values would be set because you are just placing down to get red of the cards in your hand also everyone has a smart phone with internet capabilities so it wouldnt be too hard to quickly look into that sorta thing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about SET, but instead of shapes the cards each have an actor's name?
Minimum to call out a match would be two actors.
So, "Match 2!"
You name the movie, remove the cards. End of the game, person with most cards wins, so it's more valuable to match three or more from one movie if you can.

Problem here would be that people will go for the speed element and will be less likely to look for more than two actors.
Perhaps, after they take their matches, if their opponent can name any others from the same movie on the board, they can take them as their own points.

For example, you call out "Match 2!"
Leonard DiCaprio and Kate Winslet are on the board.
"Titanic!"
Remove the cards.
Before replacing them, an opponent spots Bill Paxton and so calls him out and takes the card for his own point.

But only super movie nerds would enjoy this, so no one would play with me...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.