C Robson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I am fighting an enemy with a defence value of 6, while MY current health is at 3, and I build my combat dice pool and get 3 demon heads on my combat roll. I gain bad luck and lose 3 health....well now I am dead....so...


1. Do I then immediately draw a hell card, move the big trouble track up one, and then rest my health to 10....and THEN get hit with the "strike back" effect of the enemy I was initially targeting and remove that damage from my new fresh 10 health points? Or...

2. Do I just ignore the "strike back" all together...

Just confused because my dice killed me...not the enemy i was engaged in combat with. THANKS!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that you basically "die" and then continue on directly from there. So I think option 1 is correct.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja'ed by R0land1199

brokencontender wrote:
If I am fighting an enemy with a defense value of 6, while MY current health is at 3, and I build my combat dice pool and get 3 demon heads on my combat roll. I gain bad luck and lose 3 health....well now I am dead....so...

1. Do I then immediately draw a hell card, move the big trouble track up one, and then rest [reset] my health to 10....and THEN get hit with the "strike back" effect of the enemy I was initially targeting and remove that damage from my new fresh 10 health points?
Yes!

Quote:
Or... 2. Do I just ignore the "strike back" all together...
No.

I think the rulebook and the designers have been clear and consistent on this:
rulebook p. 18 wrote:
If [your Hero's] Health ever reaches 0, then your hero dies and goes to one of the Chinese Hells. Immediately draw a Hell card, read it aloud, and apply all effects. Then advance the Threat token one space on the Big Trouble Track. Lastly, set your Health to 10, and continue your turn.

Note: When you die and go to hell, you do not end your turn or lose any of your available actions. Continue your turn as normal after gaining the Hell card and advancing the Threat Token on the Big Trouble Track.

The rules don't discuss this explicitly with the "Bad Luck" rule but I think that means it is not an exception so you pick up your turn right where you left off. If the next thing that was to happen is a strike-back then you suffer the strike-back after you have recovered your full health. Dying does not stop bad things from happening to you.

AFAIK, the only exception is that taking damage is atomic. If you have only one health point left and something happens that causes you to lose 5 health then you still return from Hell fully healed and the next game action takes place. Atomic damage is also in effect for Egg's Remedy. You cannot play the remedy in the middle of taking damage from an enemy although you can take it between taking damage from one enemy and taking damage from another.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Robson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
BitJam wrote:
ninja'ed by R0land1199

brokencontender wrote:
If I am fighting an enemy with a defense value of 6, while MY current health is at 3, and I build my combat dice pool and get 3 demon heads on my combat roll. I gain bad luck and lose 3 health....well now I am dead....so...

1. Do I then immediately draw a hell card, move the big trouble track up one, and then rest [reset] my health to 10....and THEN get hit with the "strike back" effect of the enemy I was initially targeting and remove that damage from my new fresh 10 health points?
Yes!

Quote:
Or... 2. Do I just ignore the "strike back" all together...
No.

I think the rulebook and the designers have been clear and consistent on this:
rulebook p. 18 wrote:
If [your Hero's] Health ever reaches 0, then your hero dies and goes to one of the Chinese Hells. Immediately draw a Hell card, read it aloud, and apply all effects. Then advance the Threat token one space on the Big Trouble Track. Lastly, set your Health to 10, and continue your turn.

Note: When you die and go to hell, you do not end your turn or lose any of your available actions. Continue your turn as normal after gaining the Hell card and advancing the Threat Token on the Big Trouble Track.

The rules don't discuss this explicitly with the "Bad Luck" rule but I think that means it is not an exception so you pick up your turn right where you left off. If the next thing that was to happen is a strike-back then you suffer the strike-back after you have recovered your full health. Dying does not stop bad things from happening to you.

AFAIK, the only exception is that taking damage is atomic. If you have only one health point left and something happens that causes you to lose 5 health then you still return from Hell fully healed and the next game action takes place. Atomic damage is also in effect for Egg's Remedy. You cannot play the remedy in the middle of taking damage from an enemy although you can take it between taking damage from one enemy and taking damage from another.


Thanks dude! Good info. One last thing...if at any point in the game you are told to take damage...whether that's with a quest or if someone rolls a bad fate die and "Every other play takes X damage"...if at any point this happens, and you don't have enough health to cover it....do you then subtract whatever (say you were only is left from your Chi pool? As well as take on the effects of dying?
Or if an effect either you or your fellow player triggered...says gain X health...do you add it to your Chi if you are at full health? I think I read somewhere you gain only one Chi, but I cant find it. Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
brokencontender wrote:
...if at any point in the game you are told to take damage...whether that's with a quest or if someone rolls a bad fate die and "Every other play takes X damage"...if at any point this happens, and you don't have enough health to cover it....do you then subtract whatever (say you were only is left from your Chi pool? As well as take on the effects of dying?
I don't recall seeing that anywhere but I'm just learning the game too. I do know that if you lose more Chi than you have then you lose health for all the missing Chi. So if you are at 10 Health and 2 Chi and you lose 5 Chi then you end up with 7 Health and 0 Chi.

Quote:
Or if an effect either you or your fellow player triggered...says gain X health...do you add it to your Chi if you are at full health? I think I read somewhere you gain only one Chi, but I cant find it. Thanks
No. Perhaps you are thinking of the Rest action. If you rest with a normal action die you get 2 Health. If you were already at full health then you get 1 Chi instead. With an Epic Action die you get 3 Health and if you were already at full health you get 1 Chi. You can never gain both Health and Chi with one Rest action.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lyon
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
BitJam wrote:


Dying does not stop bad things from happening to you.

Great tagline for the game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart,

Where do you get that about losing Health instead if you have to lose more Chi than you have?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Kopciuch
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Bart,

Where do you get that about losing Health instead if you have to lose more Chi than you have?


This is correct. Page 23, 2nd paragraph under Chi

Some game events will cause a hero to lose Chi. If the
amount of Chi remaining is less than what is required to be
lost, the Chi blue peg is moved to zero, and the remaining
points lost are taken from the hero’s Health.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Grim
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
How many times can you die, and gain a hell card defending an enemy attack? If there are multiple enemies in your space and you roll badly you could "die" two or three times taking a hell card each time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goo But except for one special Hell card, each time you take another one you switch out the old one, leaving you with only the last one taken.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.