Cameron Dueker
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hey all. A bit newish to the site but not to gaming. Grew up playing Palladium Rifts, Battletech, and Axis and Allies heavily in high school with my friends. Fell out of gaming for awhile in college but back in it now. Heavily invested in MTG and the X-Wing minis game. As I have card and mini games covered I was wanting to get into a board game I can play over and over with my playgroup as they are getting into Pathfinder and I don't care for it. Looking for a game I can introduce to them they might enjoy instead. I got them all into Magic and X-wing so looking to complete the circle lol.

The problem is a lot of these "modern" board games are pricey and I'm afraid of investing in a box I'll never use. While researching I found this list on Facebook and liked some of the suggestions, but wanted more input before I pull the trigger. http://myeasygifter.com/hobby/10-best-strategy-board-games-o...

Of the games on the list I've only played Star Wars Rebellion and while I enjoyed it, I think they may be burned out on all things a galaxy far far away. I was leaning towards Risk Legacy as it's similar to A&A we all played when younger but I've had a hard time explaining it to them in the past. Scythe looks interesting but I only heard about it from the list.

If I had money to pick up just one game for my play group what should I get? About 5 of us on any given night, all in our 30s, beers an auto include. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PoeDameron wrote:
Hey all. A bit newish to the site but not to gaming. Grew up playing Palladium Rifts, Battletech, and Axis and Allies heavily in high school with my friends. Fell out of gaming for awhile in college but back in it now. Heavily invested in MTG and the X-Wing minis game. As I have card and mini games covered I was wanting to get into a board game I can play over and over with my playgroup as they are getting into Pathfinder and I don't care for it. Looking for a game I can introduce to them they might enjoy instead. I got them all into Magic and X-wing so looking to complete the circle lol.

The problem is a lot of these "modern" board games are pricey and I'm afraid of investing in a box I'll never use. While researching I found this list on Facebook and liked some of the suggestions, but wanted more input before I pull the trigger. http://myeasygifter.com/hobby/10-best-strategy-board-games-o...

Of the games on the list I've only played Star Wars Rebellion and while I enjoyed it, I think they may be burned out on all things a galaxy far far away. I was leaning towards Risk Legacy as it's similar to A&A we all played when younger but I've had a hard time explaining it to them in the past. Scythe looks interesting but I only heard about it from the list.

If I had money to pick up just one game for my play group what should I get? About 5 of us on any given night, all in our 30s, beers an auto include. Thanks!

Look into Blood Rage or Rising Sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Dueker
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rising Sun reminds me of all those old Koei games on the SNES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think a really good intersection of the map control you would often see in a minis game, card game mechanics you're used to from CCGs, and a really important recent board game mechanic ("deck-building", not the same thing as in CCGs) are all found together in a game that I think would be a really good fit for you:

Tyrants of the Underdark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

I, too, am an Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game player! And I used to play Magic in the 90s. The games listed on that website are all ranked highly on BGG. I haven't tried any of them myself, so I can't comment other than the fact that I've heard good things about all of them (except for Covert).

I have another buddy who's into X-Wing and Magic. Our favorite game to play together is Carson City. Spend money to build buildings, and those buildings generate more money, which can buy you more buildings, or victory points. Unfortunately the game is out of print.

Another favorite game of ours is Dominant Species which is almost a dudes-on-a-map war game, but not exactly. Killing off opponents is not the primary objective, rather it's about who can adapt the best in the different environments.

Boardgames supporting 5 players aren't necessarily hard to find, but I do feel like the default player count is typically 4 players. These are games I'm considering adding to my collection because they play up to 5: Concordia, Keyflower, Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Dueker
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
davidhorm wrote:
Welcome to BGG!

I, too, am an Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game player! And I used to play Magic in the 90s. The games listed on that website are all ranked highly on BGG. I haven't tried any of them myself, so I can't comment other than the fact that I've heard good things about all of them (except for Covert).

I have another buddy who's into X-Wing and Magic. Our favorite game to play together is Carson City. Spend money to build buildings, and those buildings generate more money, which can buy you more buildings, or victory points. Unfortunately the game is out of print.

Another favorite game of ours is Dominant Species which is almost a dudes-on-a-map war game, but not exactly. Killing off opponents is not the primary objective, rather it's about who can adapt the best in the different environments.

Boardgames supporting 5 players aren't necessarily hard to find, but I do feel like the default player count is typically 4 players. These are games I'm considering adding to my collection because they play up to 5: Concordia, Keyflower, Lords of Waterdeep

Dominant Species sounds fun but I'd have to get them all pretty drunk to just play a game where you evolve, lol.

You excited for X-Wing 2.0? WHo am I kidding. Once that comes out its not like we're gonna play much else lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Roberts
msg tools
I can vouch for Photosynthesis, but the thing about shifting from miniatures and war games to other types is that themes could be problematic. Photosynthesis is entertaining and good fun, with simple mechanics that still require a solid strategic approach. You dominate the board, screw over your opponents and bleed point pools dry... however I could see people rolling their eyes at playing "that tree game." It maxes out at 4 players, which sounds like it might be a problem for your group.

I've never had more fun with a fridge full of beer, a couch full of friends and King of Tokyo. It's not new and cutting edge, but it's fast, battle-tastic, takes a lot of strategy, is easy to learn and everyone will get better with every game. When I used to live with my friends we found ourselves playing round after round in all night sessions on the regular. There's also some expansions so if you like it you can add more depth, and if you don't it's not $60 wasted. You can also stretch the number of players without breaking the game.

If you guys are OK with slightly longer games, there's always Catan. Land grabbing and resource management. It's kind of like Risk but with farmers. That sounds terrible now that I read it back, but it's a good, safe choice for strategy games.

BANG!, another older game can be fun with the right group. Themed after spaghetti western films. Full of gunslinging and a bit of mystery as you try to figure out who's in cahoots.

Guillotine is a dead simple yet hard to win card game where you play as executioners during the French Revolution. Heads chopped = points gained, but cards shift things around every turn so your strategy needs to be flexible.

Those are just some I picked by looking at my game shelf and thinking about the fun-to-money ratio I've had with them. Cheaper games that you can play through in 30-45 minutes are a good place to start, I think, so you're not investing too much and sussing out what types of mechanics and themes get everyone excited.

PS: BTW X Wing is probably the most fun I've ever had and I just poured a bunch of money into it over the last year or so and started playing out. The 2.0 announcement felt like a personal attack on my wallet haha. I just can't afford to do all that again cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
Enjoy a HotMayoSandwich ™ today!
badge
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Click here.

2. Starting with Gloomhaven and working down, read a little about each game.

3. If you find something that seems interesting, watch a gameplay or rules explanation video.

4. Look for people selling these games second hand through the Geekmarket or on Ebay.

5. Enjoy watching your bookshelves fill up with cardboard goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Look into Blood Rage or Rising Sun.
I think these are good suggestions. Especially 'Rising Sun'.

If you think your friends would enjoy more direct conflict, there's also Kemet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Dueker
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Too many games!

Thanks for all the help. Now I have even more research to do than before, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End and its stand-alone expansion Aeon's End: War Eternal would probably work for you guys, as well. If you love it as much as my group does, there's several expansions you can get to expand all your options without convoluting the engaging base system.

In a nutshell, it's cooperative deckbuilding fantasy against a range of widely differing, often super difficult bosses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PoeDameron wrote:
You excited for X-Wing 2.0? WHo am I kidding. Once that comes out its not like we're gonna play much else lol.

I moved states a couple years ago and never bothered finding another store league to play in. But funnily, the 2.0 got me all excited again. I felt like all the expansions were making the game too clunky, and 2.0 brings balance to the force. So I'm slowly buying up the models I'm missing to convert. Will probably stop after that...just that they announced Android: Netrunner was being discontinued too, and then I had to buy all of those packs. gah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is on that list and is a good choice. Buy the latest expansion after you've played a few times.

Not on your list but Pandemic Legacy is one of the best gate way into board games.

I will have a guarantee, If your friends don't like Pandemic after one play I'll buy it from you half off (even after you've placed your sticker to the board)and I'll pay shipping within US. PM me to take me up on the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.