United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic Tips
Kill that Tower!
It never feels satisfying to waste 2-3 attacks to kill a wall, but that thing gets in the way of a lot of other things

Towers are NOT characters
Important when spells and abilities target Characters

Instability: Sigils and Abilities
Getting an Instability can be parleyed into an advantage as as long as it is face-up, it gives a sigil. It also has a 1-shot ability that should be used throughout the game to push damage and attacks through.

Stalemates are your fault!
No one is forcing you to NOT attack. You may be stuck in group think and go " I do not want to lose attackers to Retaliate or Self Destruct". Well, it is either make bad 2:1 trades and open up those lines or drag a game out where your opponent is racing better than you.

Enlist via Payment is not the same as Enlist via Spell/Artifact
You cannot put another AP on a card with AP on it. BUT... if you get Characters into play in other ways other then Enlisting via paying a cost... then they can attack that turn. The Dragonkin has spells to show this off. I think he is the most misunderstood character as he is a Tempo Traveller and the others are either Aggressive, Combo, or Control.

Leaders and Regrouping requirements
If a character attacked, it must be the Leader when it comes to Regroup. This matters because if you have 8 Characters, 4 attack (including your Traveller), then those 4 have to be open to return fire by standing in front of the non-attackers.
Also, this brings up being forced to break up Groups into single units instead of just sandbagging a defense. If my opponent refuses to attack and leave the defensive bodies in front, that mean they are giving me free, consequence-free, attacks!

Abuse your abilities, use your spells, find your efficiency.
Many Artifacts have a "1AP: Ability". If you find yourself needing a purpose, or focal-point to your strategy, this may be it.

Tips from the creator!!
GCFOX wrote:

ARTIFACTS ARE GOOD AND EXPENSE
Artifacts are pretty good. They cost 3 AP though! When your opponent plays one, try going on the offense and part their board! If they didn't group very well, you can deal a lot of damage. Spending two attacks to take out 1 character is about average. More then likely your opponent will not be willing to play that 2nd artifact back-to-back out of fear of losing the board entirely.

LAUNDRY LIST COMBO
Try this. I call it the "Laundry List". In a game,if you hit your opponent with each unique way to lose instability, it's generally very effective. More effective then doing all attack or all artifacts. Take out 2 enemy characters, Defeat the Enemy Traveler, and Draft an artifact!

YOLO SCOUT COMBO
If you want to try a funny aggressive strat in one of your games, try enlisting your scout immediately and blinding taking the top of card of a time period. Enlist that character. Nothing like a Beast or Warrior looking at your doors turn 1!

Setting up for a different experience

Travellers are more different than you may think
I am not just talking about Alicia the Medium. There are ones that focus on certain timeline decks like past/present/future. Abusing that should not be ignored. Others are very proactive with things that attack all leaders, or entire groups. If you and your opponent just Enlist Castle (stockpile groups and use AP only to enlarge your army) you will drag the game on. Then, yes Artifacts are there to break it open.

Travellers have their own theme. Here are suggestions:
-Drake von Hearth-
Tempo is the game here. You have a lot of flexibility in what things can be used for. But nothing does anything 100%. You can turbo-charge your Traveller with his Basic he is now gonna hit for 50dmg+, effectively 1-shoting many Characters and any Traveller. Keep the path clear and he can do it all himself. Once you have the advantage, do not fall behind by Enlisting and NOT attacking.

-Mr. F-
Aggressive and swarming tactics. You notice the spells seem to apply to many characters and their Portal spell can get real cheap. Use that. If you want to draft a bunch of heavy hitters like Mechs or Wanderers, you are not using Mr. F properly. It is all about waves of attacking. You do not need to have your Traveller ever attack, just keep adding more bodies to the field and having them fall for the cause.

-Jin the Dark King-
Seemingly straightforward, but more complex in practice. You may see the group attack spell, average portal spell and a hand-attack spell and thing this is a control Traveller. You'd be mostly right. But it is hard to keep the discipline to keep pressure on when his portal gives stunned Characters initially.

-Zowie the Abandoned-

Control. She is a clear Control with 2 spells that deal pinpoint damage and just upgrade to become more efficient. The low damage of her Basic is disappointing, but it is meant to suppress a dangerous threat. Very useful for Mechs, Programs, and Stalkers. Her portal gets some mean bodies but it changes modes as it levels. Getting a Turn 1 body, stunned is fine as it couldn't attack anyways. Zowie is gonna always feel like you never have enough AP. But you can if you plan. Her Portal costs 2. On level 2 it brings in the Character not stunned, but it will cost you another 1 to attack with it. You do not need to, maybe it is a Golem and you want it to defend anyways. My point here is sometimes be inefficient but always spend your AP wisely. Get an Artifact with an AP Ability, or a Character with an AP Ability like Generators or Soldiers. If you get Worldly Portal to Level 3 and you can put AP on the summoned body 2x, try to get a beater and let it attack twice (total is 4AP spent btw). Known, however, that this spell can make you feel like you are misplaying your turn. Just because you can attack, does not mean you must. Using Black Hole (Ultimate spell) and then 1AP to activate an Artifact is fine, so long as you build your castle well.

-A13X, New World Leader-

Misleading in perception, it may look control, but it is not. You CAN heal instead of deal damage with your Tower. That does not mean you keep having a 3AP turn and heal every turn. What happens when you have 3 Instability and get another? Answer: NOTHING!!! Keep bringing in more bodies to attack with with the Portal. They can either be healed, or you can attack with more guys using that 4th AP. The only Character who should not be defeated is your Traveller at 3 Instability. Everything else is cannon-fodder.
'Turtling' or playing ultra-defensive does not win. It keeps you alive, but lets your opponent build up their board. And since all you can do in a pinch is bring in bodies damaged, they will not be great at holding the line. They will aggressively thin the herd if pushed though

-Alicia the Medium-

The great elephant-in -the-room herself. She doesn't play fair, nor like any other Traveller in the game; I like that. To start with, you actually have to Enlist your Tower. Important if you ignore this and your Opponent has the Haste Token. They may get a free Instability, which is ok. I want my Mercenary out first anyways. Since Alicia is a Combo Engine, things need to start moving. We need bodies hurting and then using the Basic Spell to add them to the Summoning Circle.
Once she gets moving though, the game is vastly different. It is all about that Summoning Circle. It is the source of your extra powers, your Portal, and focus of your mid-game.
Don't obsess over getting that Circle to 6 Sigils. Even at 3, Hex deals 40 dmg. That will finish off many things. And just putting bodies into your opponent's discard can get them Instability. Getting the Hex to 50+ dmg means you should be able to remove the defense from their Traveller then attack to finish the game.
But you need to be alive. Constantly keeping your guard up MAY do that. But it also may not. Playing Alicia is about playing the game differently.

-Welsie Acktern-
(Kickstarter)
Complex only on first glance. She is actually the best supplied army in the game. On turn 1 you have access to quite a lot. And creating Future Self tokens that can attack immediately is another choice. You always have them to make, and that in turn gets your portal closer to Level 2. I treat her as a recruitment office; constantly keeping the battlefield full and threatening.
Like A13X though, this means you may lose a lot of units and that may mean Instability. However, the Future Self army does not fill your discard. In theory, this means you can always be attacking and never worry about return fire for a while. Just a thought.

-Pritchard Leftfield-

Somewhere between joke-character, and complex dynamo. Rare Portal (Basic Spell) can have you spend 4AP right now to get one of the better bodies from any period deck. But it is still Enlisting it, so the AP is put on them since you are doing it from hand; unlike other Portals.
Then there is Design Space (Ultimate). This spell lets Pitchard effectively become, or semi-become a different Traveller; just don't pick Alicia since you do not get her Summoning Circle. In Magic the Gathering this is kinda like sideboarding. It lets you pick the foil to your opponent's strategy. However, this also means you need to understand that. So this is of the highest level of familiarity to the game. I enjoy having the character, but make sure your company feels your familiarity isn't abusive.

Too many Healers
The initial setup, while fantastic for selling the game to new players, has too many healers and resurrection abilities in some games. If all you do is kill a guy, and I gain 1-2 in response, then yes the game drags. Play a game with no Engineers or Paladins. It is VASTLY different, and attacks mean something. Heck, take the Ancients out too and you have only death.

Too many Sigils are the same
If you do not observe it, you may overload 1-2 sigils and underload another. Example: Future- Soldiers and Generators are Sun-based. Using both makes that symbol really easy. And 2/3rds of the Future cards have Sun. Well you may not make your Level 2 or 3 spells then. Just be aware

End of the day
It is easy to make assumptions, overlook the subtle differences, and even glaze-over the key differences between this and other CCG-like games. But, this game has SO much to show you if you try new things that may not even make sense at the time. Attack more, play the spell-heavy game, or maybe even build the draft piles from 1 familiar class and 2 less so. I had my doubts, and wrote off Programs and Generators. That was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious what your take is on Space-Biff's opinion that : "It’s novel more than innovative, pitching familiar concepts into a blender, forgoing the lid, and reveling at the absence-outline of your body against the wall"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I respect and read Space-Biff quite a lot. I am not gonna disagree but more have an aside.

Level 99 makes games like this. It isn't their M.O. all-together, but it is familiar ground. Why I fell in love with this game is the smaller setting, the game evolving as it goes, and the ability to reset and try something different next time.

Many 'dueling' games have character decks that are fixed and can either be adapted via expansion packs, which is expensive and imo commits yourself to a game that may not be that way for others; Mage Wars Academy. Or, there are these going in blind ones; Omen: A Reign of War is that way with a shared deck.

Temporal Odyssey is some of everything. And that feels refreshing. Like going on a vacation, but you have amenities. I like the wide variety in Classes and Travellers. Some will disagree and cite overpowered one or the other, no offense to them but they are wrong. This game is not all too different when you approach it like what it "feels" like to you. Be it a battle-based dueling game, or a combo-based one.

But what would it be like if you were playing MtG and I was playing YuGiOh? That is what this is. It is an unapologetic shake-up of many CCG-fueled ideas and comes away smelling like roses; if you let it. And that is where I know some will dislike this, they attack this from playing FNMs at their local comic shop and just try to crash into each other. You can do that. But you will play this game wrong, and ineefectively.

I like this game because it takes my 15+/- yrs of MtG and says "your theory is sound. but you play was poor". So I come back again to try and break the game. And again... and...

*An aside to the aside*
I remember the dueling game battles of Mage Wars vs Summoner Wars vs.. No different than the CCG wars of the 90s. Few survive. Some darlings existed for a few. This game is one of the darlings for me. It is not trying to usurp the competition, but it has a pleasant space in my collection where it is setup fast, played fast, and can still be called tactics.

I own Epic PVP: Fantasy, Summoner Wars and Omen: A Reign of War, I have also sold off dozens of others. Because in the end, you CAN have too many of these games, and they all blur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:

Great answer thank you! Would you say that this game has replaced any of the bottom ones you've mentioned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
This does not directly conflict with any of those. This is a means to help keep me from relapsing to MtG if anything. I still own my foil Pauper Cube for that; lol.

As for my direct collection I will give blunt answers:
Omen - just invested in the upgrade kit from the KS. Kolossal games is promising a new breath of life for the game as it is now an expanding game system.

Summoner Wars - I own almost everything. I honestly would sell it off if I got a fair offer, but this game has fallen quite out of favor and doesn't seem to be desireable on the secondary market

Epic PVP (Fantasy + Magic) - I have not played enough. 0% with Magic. It may be rotated if I get an offer for it just because it is a fine game with lots of options. My life is hard pressed to feel like I get the value out of this any more.

I sold almost every other dueling game, many from Small Box Games, because they were fun, but you gotta keep a collection in check or it will always be unplayed and overwhelming. I enjoyed Yomi a ton. But again, in the end, it was in need of expansions or it would start to get stale.

IMO, that is why Odyssey is a perfect fit for me. 8-card Starter decks and a communal draft every round... it give you enough of a push to have direction, but then you gotta carry it forward yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Solis
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome post! Ill share with the facebook group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I go crazy talking counter-strategy, did I get anything wrong? Especially Traveller analysis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Solis
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, its on track!
I'd add the A13X is pretty good at AoE damage. You can take out several characters at once of your opponent doesn't immediately change their regrouping strat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paco Ito
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
Before I go crazy talking counter-strategy

I've been waiting days! for this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.