Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Is access to a randomly determined scenario a beneft? (MINOR SPOILER) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
We have just learned Gloomhaven and next week are due to embark on our first scenario. In one of the rooms is a Treasure Chest. Inside it is access to a randomly determined scenario. In my ignorance of the game this doesn’t seem to be “treasure” worth going after. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Is access to a randomly determined scenario a beneft?
You found a treasure map, isn't it a cool loot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're supposed to look at what the treasure is *after* you opened it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will have different value to different players or characters. It may open up an opportunity for a character with specific personal goals to do something that might otherwise take much longer to do during the story. It also just opens up more content. None of the treasures are necessarily required for the campaign. Some parties do the side quests on nights when the whole party can't be there for a game session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slow Dog wrote:
You're supposed to look at what the treasure is *after* you opened it...

Yes, there are definitely treasures that you do not want to spoil until opening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The chest allows you to draw randomly from a pool of scenarios that are all designed to give you a good reward. It's not just randomly booting you to a different point in the story - it's unlocking a side-quest/treasure hunt.

For what it's worth, you aren't supposed to look at the contents of a chest before you open it. The whole reason the scenario book uses non-sequential codes that you have to cross-reference instead of just listing the treasure is to keep it a secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karn
Canada
flag msg tools
Loot in this game isn't always what you may be accustomed to.

It bothered me at first as well, but honestly after you progress a bit, every small reward (despite how lackluster it may seem) is just a step closer to the good rewards; and there are quite a few of those!

Also keep in mind that these random scenarios can also lead to items that you may not discover otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
it isn't just some random scenario.
it is a scenario drawn from a specific group of scenarios designed just for that purpose, the "random side scenarios".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondřej Šofr
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Use the spoiler tag when talking about game aspects that are to be discovered by players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Carver wrote:
In my ignorance of the game this doesn’t seem to be “treasure” worth going after. Am I missing something?

On the contrary, Random Side Scenarios have been some of my most coveted types of loot found in treasure chests. I have a Personal Quest that has taken considerably longer than average, but one of the things that could have brought the length down to a more reasonable span would have been a lucky draw from the Random Side Scenarios deck.

From a more traditional perspective, just about every Random Side Scenario has good rewards, good treasure chests to loot, or both. You picked up a treasure map to a place with some particularly good stuff to find.

From a practical perspective, it gives you more choices on what scenario to play next. Maybe you just want to stick to the critical path and finish the main story. That's fine; you can still do that. But now you have the option to do a side scenario you didn't have before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmb
Carver wrote:
We have just learned Gloomhaven and next week are due to embark on our first scenario. In one of the rooms is a Treasure Chest. Inside it is access to a randomly determined scenario. In my ignorance of the game this doesn’t seem to be “treasure” worth going after. Am I missing something?

As others have said, you're not supposed to check the content until you open it. Don't make the other mistake (that our group did) of waiting until the end of the scenario to check content either.

I would say that the random scenarios are the best kind of reward you can hope for!

(very minor and vague spoiler re. chest contents)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Coins are underwhelming, XP is good, new items are better but a whole new scenario with possible PQ progression and unknown rewards? That's as good as it gets!

EDIT: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hickey
United States
flag msg tools
A random scenario is a great reward early on. My party completed our random scenario as the 2nd scenario we played. The reward for completing that scenario was far better than a reward we would've gotten by completing one of the early scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunshinexpress wrote:
The reward for completing that scenario was far better than a reward we would've gotten by completing one of the early scenarios.

A guess for the reward
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Was it two Major Healing Potions for a 2p-campaign? We got that one :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not that anyone really needs it, but I thought I'd add my two cents worth whistle

The scenario we first unlocked as a random side scenario was tough, but we managed to do it and got a really neat item design as a reward. That item is now a key item for two of our players as it shores up weaknesses in both of those characters.

The other side scenario we've played again was tough but fun, and it also had a strong reward.

We've got one more side scenario unlocked, but it has a Global Achievement prerequisite that we haven't met yet. I'm confident it'll have an equally worthwhile reward.

In addition, the first side scenario would've been good for helping with my current character's personal goal. If I get close to completion, but having trouble with the last bit required, I may end up asking the group if we can redo it in casual mode to help my retirement.

In short, yes, random side scenarios are worthwhile cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks everyone for your replies.

To be honest I hadn’t realised it was a spoiler, so of course apologise. The rule book is not the easiest one to use given that every rule check needs to be searched for. I knew the players - all new to the game - would ask me what “G7” (or whatever) meant and I hadn’t a clue until I read that I must refer to the back of the scenario book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Carver wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

To be honest I hadn’t realised it was a spoiler, so of course apologise. The rule book is not the easiest one to use given that every rule check needs to be searched for. I knew the players - all new to the game - would ask me what “G7” (or whatever) meant and I hadn’t a clue until I read that I must refer to the back of the scenario book.

Rule of thumb: EVERYTHING in the scenario book is a spoiler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
That’s an interesting point Mike.

One doesn’t people the next room until the adventurers open the door. Whilst being unaware of what lies beyond is perfectly logical the owner of the game who peopled the first room knows precisely what lies beyond and he can’t ‘unremember’ it.

In fact he knows everything that was on the scenario page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people have adopted use of the Gloomhaven Scenaio Viewer app (or the pdf version in the BGG file) to combat this problem. The intent of the designer was to have the first room set up and have access to knowledge of room tiles, monsters, traps and other overlay tiles. Specific room setup beyond the first room should not be "remembered" or studied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carver wrote:

One doesn’t people the next room until the adventurers open the door. Whilst being unaware of what lies beyond is perfectly logical the owner of the game who peopled the first room knows precisely what lies beyond and he can’t ‘unremember’ it.

That person must have a photographic memory.

As for me, I can focus on one room and not really retain too much information about other rooms.
Heck, I have to look multiple times just to get the one room set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Carver wrote:

That was actually a complaint I had about this game. The game acts like it's supposed to be a bunch of surprises but then is presented in a way where at least one person has to spoil elements of the scenario just to set it up.

Also, if you want to do a component check when you open it (which I always do because I've purchased numerous incomplete games over the years) it spoils significant portions of the story because you learn who all the bosses are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Paradis
Canada
flag msg tools
Just be happy it wasnt a trap and appreciate the extra content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
That was actually a complaint I had about this game. The game acts like it's supposed to be a bunch of surprises but then is presented in a way where at least one person has to spoil elements of the scenario just to set it up.

Also, if you want to do a component check when you open it (which I always do because I've purchased numerous incomplete games over the years) it spoils significant portions of the story because you learn who all the bosses are.

So basically you'd complain about any and every game, since there is absolutely no way any boardgame could avoid either of those things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
So basically you'd complain about any and every game, since there is absolutely no way any boardgame could avoid either of those things.

There are ways, and there are ways. Plenty of games use an official app - especially from FFG, where they use this for Mansions of Madness, X-Com, and Descent: Road to Legend.

For Gloomhaven, it's as simple as not reading the text. That way, even if you know what monsters will be in the next room or where the chest is located, you can still be surprised by special effects and new rules.

And if you want to be completely surprised, use the Scenario Viewer.

Whatever the solution, you can tailor the game-play to your preference. There's no sense arguing about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
Sparticuse wrote:

Spoilers only matter in legacy and story games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.