Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello all,

I'm considering pre-ordering this game... just watched the Chief's video... I have two questions before I order:

1) As this is a game about the cold war, I was a bit surprised to see the battle cards. (Though I guess they're a standard staple of the QMG series, so I shouldn't be surprised). Thus is this a game that starts in the historical setting of the cold war, but let's the players break from the historical narrative and devolve it into a kinetic war?

2) Is there an official 2-player variant?

Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we should remember that there were no years of peace during the Cold War. Even if World War III did not kick off there was plenty of ongoing conflict. I need to read the rules properly to see how this all works, and clearly the game is not a simulation, but I get the impression that "Battle" is meant to cover some kinds of political change, as well as both low intensity and high intensity warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an escalation cost for Battle cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no 2 player variant. I played a bunch of times playing 2 sides with my wife playing one, but I always ended up losing as I pummeled myself (domestic tranquility being pretty important).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PLus anyone wanting a good 2p QMG experience have the other 3 titles to choose from (especially Victory or Death)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb

IanBrody wrote:
... as I pummelled myself...

Ian, you will go blind if you keep that up... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.