Yury Milovidov
United States
California
flag msg tools
2018 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

Summary
You are a smuggler of controlled substance known as “juice”. Somehow you managed to cross a local crime lord who put a price on your head, so the Bounty Hunter is after you. Luckily, according to the criminal code of conduct, you can recall the hunt by becoming a crime lord yourself. But it’s not going to be an easy task, because all you’ve got is a beat-up delivery ship named “Juice Express” and just one container of juice.

Components
* 1 game board (printable, 1 sheet)
* 27 juice cards (printable, 1 sheet)
* 1 player token (provided by the player)
* 4 trap tokens (provided by the player)
* 1 regular 6-sided dice (provided by the player)

Playing time
5-30 minutes

Categories
Best Overall Game
Most Innovative Mechanic
Best Game Playable on an Airline Seat Tray
Best Rule Book
Best Easy to Build Game
Low Ink printing
Most Thematic Game
Best Game Designed in Contest Timeframe
Best Game by a New Solo Designer
Best Push Your Luck/Survival

Volunteers
Approved

Download links
Rules
Print-and-Play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury Milovidov
United States
California
flag msg tools
Current status

Version 1.1 is components ready!

Added losing conditions and clarified some rules.

Old notes

Version 1.0 is components ready.

I was really struggling trying to make a nice looking and convenient to use board for this game. The current version is very rough and I would really appreciate any input on how to improve it.

Also, there are no "loosing conditions" in the game. Basically you either win or give up trying, which seems weird to me. So I was wondering how big of a problem it actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Lanthier
msg tools
Hello - just finished my first game and I have some thoughts/first impressions.

1) Not having a loss condition is a bit odd. I understand that you can work your way back up, but losing all your progress is basically like starting a new game, so you could just call the criminals robbing you a loss? Alternately, you could make it so they will take, say, a pair of juices instead if you lack an Elite juice. I feel like a time limit would be the simplest loss mechanic to add.

2) Travel routes becoming unavailable can be quite rough. It takes away a potentially interesting decision if you've only got one choice of locations on a turn. Since there's no turn limit, if you've built up a decent store of Juice you should always be able to make a trade, so it's very possible to end up "waiting" to be allowed to go someplace for turns at a time.

3) Since you can't trade a juice for another of the same type (unless I am misreading something), Proxbia and Strikton have effectively the same laws; every trade will involve at least one illegal Juice, so every trade uses the Black Market table. Maybe Strikton should have either drums or canisters banned, but not bottles? I know this goes against some the current theming, though.

a) I like the idea of trading in a highly volatile economy and trying to make certain sets as your win condition. The idea of manipulating what Juice remains on given planets is also potentially interesting and could potentially open up a lot of decision space for players. The components look pretty good and square cards are easy to cut out (though I just used playing cards).

?) Are you allowed to take less Juice than you are entitled to? For instance, can you trade a Silver Juice in for just one Bronze if that is all the planet has?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury Milovidov
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!

PersistantFolly wrote:

1) Not having a loss condition is a bit odd. I understand that you can work your way back up, but losing all your progress is basically like starting a new game, so you could just call the criminals robbing you a loss? Alternately, you could make it so they will take, say, a pair of juices instead if you lack an Elite juice. I feel like a time limit would be the simplest loss mechanic to add.
Initially I thought to make inability to trade a loss condition, but it felt wrong when one unlucky dice roll can ruin the game, so I made it a robbery. Which might seem harsh but not "chance of losing on the first turn" harsh
A timer is definitely among the first solutions that come to mind but I think it doesn't fit with a strategic solo game.

PersistantFolly wrote:

2) Travel routes becoming unavailable can be quite rough. It takes away a potentially interesting decision if you've only got one choice of locations on a turn. Since there's no turn limit, if you've built up a decent store of Juice you should always be able to make a trade, so it's very possible to end up "waiting" to be allowed to go someplace for turns at a time.
There's no "waiting" in this game, because you need to trade and change location every single turn. I think adjusting your strategy every turn is a part of the fun.

PersistantFolly wrote:

3) Since you can't trade a juice for another of the same type (unless I am misreading something), Proxbia and Strikton have effectively the same laws; every trade will involve at least one illegal Juice, so every trade uses the Black Market table. Maybe Strikton should have either drums or canisters banned, but not bottles? I know this goes against some the current theming, though.
You got it absolutely right: only different kinds of juice can be traded. As for Strikton laws, I meant it be aout not accepting drums at all; I might have to rephrase it in the rules

PersistantFolly wrote:

a) I like the idea of trading in a highly volatile economy and trying to make certain sets as your win condition. The idea of manipulating what Juice remains on given planets is also potentially interesting and could potentially open up a lot of decision space for players. The components look pretty good and square cards are easy to cut out (though I just used playing cards).
That's a really good idea!

PersistantFolly wrote:

?) Are you allowed to take less Juice than you are entitled to? For instance, can you trade a Silver Juice in for just one Bronze if that is all the planet has?
No, you have to use a full price every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've now played 3 games (using playing cards and a hand-drawn map, since I don't have a printer at hand right now ).

I won each of the three games, by collecting 8 juice of the same kind (which happened to be the same type in all three games too).

Here are a few thoughts I had on the game:

The rule book is, in general very clear and succinct. The Trade section--the heart of the game--however could have been a little clearer, I thought. I had to read it several times to understand the options. But perhaps this reflects more on me than on the rules...

Do you have to trade each turn. The rules state "you must buy or sell 1 juice card every turn to avoid being robbed", which implies that you can choose not to trade. I generally did that in the first turns when the market was unfavourable, because there isn't really a penalty: you only have one card and therefore cannot lose one when you are robbed. That made the beginning of the game always a little long-drawn, as I was waiting for the market to become more favourable.

The possibility of losing would be good, I think, to add some tension to the game. I understand that it is difficult to implement (though I offer some thoughts below), because your options each turn are based on a die roll, but I think it would be good to a possibility of losing. I'm not sure a time limit would work that well, since you would often not have a chance to complete the game in time due to the randomness, which would make losing when time runs out feel very unfair.

Towards the end of the game, the game also became a little repetitive. Because I had by then enough cards in hand, it wasn't difficult to trade, but again I had to just wait for conditions to be favourable to make the right trade. I was certain I'd win, though, since I'd have, by then, enough cards of one kind in hand (say bottle) and all the other locations mostly had cards of the other two kinds, so once the trade conditions made bottles cheap, I could trade all my other cards for bottles, or, if the other way round, trade all my bottles for whatever was cheapest at the time. Because I couldn't lose, it took away from the sense of victory as well.

By my third game I was thinking of ways in which you could add a loss condition to the game. None of what follows is thought through (what to speak of tested). I'm just thinking "aloud", in the hope that perhaps some of this sparks other thoughts that might be more useful. All of what follows would also add some complexity to game play and rules, which may not be ideal for this game.

Since I was playing with player cards, I kept thinking whether the "face cards" (King, Queen, Jack) could be incorporated somehow, as policemen (or rival traders?) who track your illegal activity and are trying to arrest you. The first idea I had was to add some of them to the four different locations at the beginning of the game, and during the Trade phase of the game you run the risk of having them on your tail. How exactly that would work, in an elegant fashion, I do not know. Perhaps if a trade goes wrong, you add one of those to your hand and once you have 3 you lose the game. Perhaps you can sell a "knock off" but doing so gives you an agent at that location. Or you get one when you sell the most expensive item in the market. Perhaps you could bribe one with an elite item.

Alternatively, you could also add one other thing you have to manage: fuel for your ship (using the fourth suit to mark these). Each turn to move you need to discard a fuel card to your current location in order to be able to move, but you can also trade for fuel, except in locations where everything is illegal (like Proxibia), with Black Market 1 giving you 4 fuel, 2 giving you 3, and 3 giving you 2, provided your location has enough fuel, of course. If you run out of fuel, you get arrested and you lose the game.

As I said, undeveloped thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you've got a cool tagline available to you.

"Get Juiced."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury Milovidov
United States
California
flag msg tools
darkyeoman wrote:
I've now played 3 games (using playing cards and a hand-drawn map, since I don't have a printer at hand right now ).
Thanks for your interest in the game and feedback!

darkyeoman wrote:
The rule book is, in general very clear and succinct. The Trade section--the heart of the game--however could have been a little clearer, I thought. I had to read it several times to understand the options.
Agreed, I'm going to work on clarifying the rules.

darkyeoman wrote:
Do you have to trade each turn.
Yes, you do have to trade each turn. Otherwise, having one juice card on hands turns into a "multipass". I will try making it clearer in the rules.

darkyeoman wrote:
The possibility of losing would be good, I think, to add some tension to the game. I understand that it is difficult to implement (though I offer some thoughts below), because your options each turn are based on a die roll, but I think it would be good to a possibility of losing. I'm not sure a time limit would work that well, since you would often not have a chance to complete the game in time due to the randomness, which would make losing when time runs out feel very unfair.
My thoughts exactly. I like your ideas about fuel and policemen and I might try implementing it somehow. Also, I think there's a possibility for a multiplayer version!

darkyeoman wrote:
Towards the end of the game, the game also became a little repetitive. Because I had by then enough cards in hand, it wasn't difficult to trade, but again I had to just wait for conditions to be favourable to make the right trade. I was certain I'd win, though, since I'd have, by then, enough cards of one kind in hand (say bottle) and all the other locations mostly had cards of the other two kinds, so once the trade conditions made bottles cheap, I could trade all my other cards for bottles, or, if the other way round, trade all my bottles for whatever was cheapest at the time. Because I couldn't lose, it took away from the sense of victory as well.
Uhm... I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that you trade more than 1 card at a time, which is against the rules. Otherwise I suppose I should do more playtesting...

darkyeoman wrote:
Since I was playing with player cards, I kept thinking whether the "face cards" (King, Queen, Jack) could be incorporated somehow, as policemen (or rival traders?) who track your illegal activity and are trying to arrest you. The first idea I had was to add some of them to the four different locations at the beginning of the game, and during the Trade phase of the game you run the risk of having them on your tail. How exactly that would work, in an elegant fashion, I do not know. Perhaps if a trade goes wrong, you add one of those to your hand and once you have 3 you lose the game. Perhaps you can sell a "knock off" but doing so gives you an agent at that location. Or you get one when you sell the most expensive item in the market. Perhaps you could bribe one with an elite item.

Alternatively, you could also add one other thing you have to manage: fuel for your ship (using the fourth suit to mark these). Each turn to move you need to discard a fuel card to your current location in order to be able to move, but you can also trade for fuel, except in locations where everything is illegal (like Proxibia), with Black Market 1 giving you 4 fuel, 2 giving you 3, and 3 giving you 2, provided your location has enough fuel, of course. If you run out of fuel, you get arrested and you lose the game.
It does sounds good. Originally, I was thinking of a Bounty Hunter who would pursue the player and add tension and perhaps losing condition to the game. Maybe I should give it another try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you for the clarifications.

YuryMilovidov wrote:
Uhm... I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that you trade more than 1 card at a time, which is against the rules. Otherwise I suppose I should do more playtesting...

This is how I did it. Say bottles are at position 1 in the Black Market and drums are at three. I sell 1 bottle card I have for 3 drum cards from my location. I would only do this once per turn.

Or, when I buy, I pay 3 drum cards for 1 bottle.

That is allowed, no?

That is how I interpreted the following part of the rules:

Quote:
When a transaction involves one or two ​ illegal ​ kinds of juice, use the black market juice exchange rates that are displayed in the “Black Market” area of the board (see below). In this case 1 juice card of a certain kind costs 2 or 3 juice cards of another kind.

When you are exchanging 1 of your juice cards for multiple juice cards from your current location, you are ​selling​ a juice card. Remember, you cannot sell a “knock-off” juice card; however it’s perfectly acceptable to buy one.

When you are exchanging 1 juice card from the location for 2 or 3 of yours - you are ​ buying​ a juice card. You can choose any kind of juice card to buy as long as you have enough juice to
pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury Milovidov
United States
California
flag msg tools
darkyeoman wrote:
This is how I did it.
Yes, that’s correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Hallfin
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Well you've got a cool tagline available to you.

"Get Juiced."

All juiced up and ready to go.

Subbed, gonna try this when I get a chance. Made me think of cowboy bebop and futurama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury Milovidov
United States
California
flag msg tools
Updated rules and printable components available!
(Check the first post for links)

The updates include:
* added Bounty Hunter (for tension and a chance of losing)
* removed knock-off cards (due to lack of impact on the gameplay)
* clarified rules
* slightly redesigned board

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Interesting! On my list to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F. Bubulce
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I got some time to try your game and made 2 runs.

I won the first with 4 juice of each and the other with 8 drum.

The rules are crystal clear and the game is also well paced. The black market is a really fun thing to challenge.

The bounty hunter didn't really leave any impressions. I always made sure to have at least 3 different goods to trade and the only times were i found myself in a bind were the very first turns.

I think tension and strain should rise as the game goes on . I think the risk of losing in your game is real only at the beginning.

Another thing that didn't sit well were the travels. It feel like 1 way avaiable is too less and 2 are too many. Maybe getting 1 or 2 more planets could help nerfing the 2 way travel.
And i was thinking about the chance of not travel, getting to trade a second turn on the same planet, with the tradeoff of getting a trap on it.

Dunno if this could work.

Oh, yes. One thing. It wasn't my case but i was wondering: when you get robbed, your goods stay on the planet you wer robbet or they are treated in other ways?

It was a fun game!
Thanks for submitting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury Milovidov
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you for playing!

le Bubulce wrote:
The bounty hunter didn't really leave any impressions. I always made sure to have at least 3 different goods to trade and the only times were i found myself in a bind were the very first turns.
I agree, the bounty hunter is not very prominent. Well, at least it actually adds a chance of loosing, as opposed to the the first version where you could play endlessly until you win...

le Bubulce wrote:
Another thing that didn't sit well were the travels. It feel like 1 way avaiable is too less and 2 are too many. Maybe getting 1 or 2 more planets could help nerfing the 2 way travel.
I think there's an idea for a possible multiplayer edition here

le Bubulce wrote:
And i was thinking about the chance of not travel, getting to trade a second turn on the same planet, with the tradeoff of getting a trap on it.
It's a good solution in terms of game mechanics but goes against the philosophy of changing your location daily. I will keep it in mind

le Bubulce wrote:
Oh, yes. One thing. It wasn't my case but i was wondering: when you get robbed, your goods stay on the planet you wer robbet or they are treated in other ways?
I think it says in the rules that when you're getting robbed you surrender all your juice to your current location, i.e. to the planet you are being robbed on.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One K
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

My body cannot resist when my brain wants to create this cover.

I hope you like it, Mr. Yuri. Feel free to use it for Juice Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury Milovidov
United States
California
flag msg tools
Oh, wow! This is pretty amazing! I’m so happy you were inspired by my game
Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.