Subject: SMG 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I have been revisiting this game and reinvesting in it, came across a post card from LBG wishing a Happy new year in 2013.

The card mentioned the following items they were working on:
"In 2013 we are planning to release three more chapters for the Days of Days story - Bois Du Chateau, Cherbourg Railway Station and the Cherbourg Docks"
I take it these items were scrapped many years ago.- Wonder if they will ever see the light of Day.(of Days)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, they’re “working” on them snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True North Gamer
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I weep for all the lost opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is why they stopped announcing things. They are great people, with what I feel is a great game, but, as I have always said, Jeff B is a visionary and is looking years ahead. Not necessarily a bad thing but you need someone to follow up and make it happen, not to mention the production ability to make it happen. I remember when Red Devils came out, someone asked Jeff about eastern front SMG. Jeff said he wanted to do it but wanted to be able to do something with X Terrain and ruined buildings like Stalingrad. He said that he couldn't produce what he wanted though (at that time), so didn't want to put out something that wasn't the quality of the vision.

Hopefully after Rally ships more SMG and SDD items will be released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there was also going to be a Pacific theatre version, more tanks, an online roster or campaign system. I was personally promised to get two of my soldiers promoted, as a thanks for creating scenarios, battle reports etc. Was told to send them the names and dogtag numbers of the 2 soldiers. That was st least 2 years ago and not a word from them.

I gave up on all the promises a while ago.

As Michael mentioned, Jeff B. is a visionary and talked a lot about plans, but didn't have the capability to carry them out. I don't blame Jeff for having big ideas and plans, but I do blame him for talking about so much stuff that he couldn’t manage. It got people excited and perhaps invest more into the game because it was going to have certain elements coming out that different peoplecould get into.

Aside from that, the game is super niche in a niche market. It seems like not getting into the European market was keeping a lot of people from the game. They only went to conventions near the east coast. Don't really see videos of gameplay and not much in the way of promotion. It's hard enough to find other players for miniatures games, but SMG is very niche and expensive to get new people into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True North Gamer
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given all these comments how does LBG stay in business?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if they could offer non painted minis, if that would cut some labor cost and bring over the painters out there. Or offer everything but the miniature to folks that wanted to mount their own Flames of War 15mm on the bases. (myself would still buy the pre-painted option)

I still believe you hit that right price point and this game system would take off like a rocket.

I'm sure I'm like the rest of you with the addictive nature of this game. I just bought several hundred dollars worth of stuff and already am craving more of everything... getting the evil eye from the wife of course.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
Wonder if they could offer non painted minis, if that would cut some labor cost and bring over the painters out there. Or offer everything but the miniature to folks that wanted to mount their own Flames of War 15mm on the bases. (myself would still buy the pre-painted option)

I still believe you hit that right price point and this game system would take off like a rocket.

I'm sure I'm like the rest of you with the addictive nature of this game. I just bought several hundred dollars worth of stuff and already am craving more of everything... getting the evil eye from the wife of course.shake

Wait until you get around the $1,000 mark, then you really get the look. Making things worse is the lack of accessibility of this system (price, lack of marketing and exposure etc.), so then there are very few new people to get to play it with, other than people you may already game with. That's great if you have someone already that is dedicated to playing it, but that's not always the case.

I got into SMG because at the time, I didn't want to get into painting for such as Flames of War. I don't know if Bolt Action was around back when I got SMG. But over the past couple years, I've really gotten into painting models for Halo Ground Command, Frostgrave, Guild Ball, Infinity, The Walking Dead All Out War, Rumbleslam, Gaslands and Star Wars Legion. So at this point in my life, I would have certainly been very inclined to paint the models for SMG, especially since it's squad based. They could have sold a lot more product just by letting hobbyists do their thing with the models. And sell the maps, X-terrain, dogtag bases and cards separately.

Until I got into hobbying a couple years ago, I didn't appreciate how enjoyable it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True North Gamer
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
They could have sold a lot more product just by letting hobbyists do their thing with the models. And sold the maps, X-terrain, dogtag bases and cards separately.

With the exception of X-terrain isn't this what SDD offers? You can ditch the standees and use your own minis since LBG already provides a soldier base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10010110 wrote:
Hahma wrote:
They could have sold a lot more product just by letting hobbyists do their thing with the models. And sold the maps, X-terrain, dogtag bases and cards separately.

With the exception of X-terrain isn't this what SDD offers? You can ditch the standees and use your own minis since LBG already provides a soldier base.

I don't have SDD, but it is smaller in scale as far as the maps and such. It seemed more for those that wanted to play on a small dining room table instead of a bigger surface. I don't know how much it was marketed towards people using their own 15mm models. It may have been somewhat, but I wasn't really paying too much attention at that point, because I already had close to $1,000 invested in SMG and had no intention to invest into SDD. I don't know what the sales success of SDD vs SMG is to know if that model worked better. For me personally, while I do like the built in modifiers on the tiles for SMG, but I don't know how I'd like the movement in SDD. At that point, it seems like a board game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't their computers crash and they lost a lot of design work at some point? I seem to recall something along those lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10010110 wrote:
Given all these comments how does LBG stay in business?
Because the games are fun and we keep buying them? Also, I think this is a "hobby business on the side" and not the main source of income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10010110 wrote:

I do too because I love the system so much! But, with that being said, there is still a lot out there to make the game enjoyable. Expensive? Certainly, if you want to keep up on things and get different or more numerous troops on the battlefield. I have had a lot of fun with the game and the expansions and still add soldiers from time to time and the map tiles as well to add in the design of scenarios. Maybe Jeff will tackle some more soon but I think he is still working on Rally Round the Flag.

Being basically a mom and pop shop, funds are not available for all projects at all times. I guess I am just one of those nitch gamers. I was into this game at the very start (having a friend pick up the game at Gen Con on release day) and supporting it still today. Does it get out on the table a ton? No, but it gets played probably once a month and I have 3 boys that love the game and a few friends that lave it as well and have supported the system.

Keep your chin up, there may be more in the works!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm there, my order way back in December 2011 was $540 and just bought $375 more in upgrades this week. (Of course back in 2011 you didn't get as much bang for the buck) This game is pretty easy to hit the $1K mark.
We play bolt action every week it seems like, so going to give this a go with the game group for some 2 on 2 battles and see what they think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD wrote:
10010110 wrote:

I do too because I love the system so much! But, with that being said, there is still a lot out there to make the game enjoyable. Expensive? Certainly, if you want to keep up on things and get different or more numerous troops on the battlefield. I have had a lot of fun with the game and the expansions and still add soldiers from time to time and the map tiles as well to add in the design of scenarios. Maybe Jeff will tackle some more soon but I think he is still working on Rally Round the Flag.

Being basically a mom and pop shop, funds are not available for all projects at all times. I guess I am just one of those nitch gamers. I was into this game at the very start (having a friend pick up the game at Gen Con on release day) and supporting it still today. Does it get out on the table a ton? No, but it gets played probably once a month and I have 3 boys that love the game and a few friends that lave it as well and have supported the system.

Getting played once a month is a ton John

I got it played a decent amount for awhile, but then my nephew got too busy with work in high school and then went off to college. Then a couple other guys in my game group have kind of moved on to other things. Another guy and his college age son played but then moved to Ohio last year. A couple other guys have tried it but have other priorities with their game time now. I don't have sons, only daughters who have totally stopped gaming (other than video games), about a year and a half ago. So it's been tough sledding for me to get it played over the past couple years, as I am the only one in the area with the game.

I would love to play it every month, or even a couple times a year. Just don't have the people interested like before. So I've been getting into several other miniatures games that I know I can get played once in awhile.

The Walking Dead All Out War plays great solo, co-op or competitive. I have a buddy that has invested a lot in Infinity and I have some as well and we're finally going to get a couple games in this Sunday. I got into Star Wars Legion because several people in my group are huge SW fans and a couple people even bought into it (though I'm the only one to get my stuff painted so far). I've gotten that played several times and it's anticipated when I bring it to my group's monthly all day game day.

SMG is an awesome game, and I'll try to get it back to the table at some point. Ts just a matter of finding the right opportunity and finding someone into historical minis games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play about every 5-6 weeks. Haven’t touched it now for at least a year ...other priorities came up...full remodel of our place...floors, carpet, paint, kitchen, baths...still ongoing cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
I used to play about every 5-6 weeks. Haven’t touched it now for at least a year ...other priorities came up...full remodel of our place...floors, carpet, paint, kitchen, baths...still ongoing cry

Hate when life interferes with play time. We are in year 15 of a remodel projects. Not sure will ever get done. Funny I don't recall when we moved in saying we were going to re-do every room on each floor....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Hollingsworth
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a hard time getting a group together in my area. There are a lot of historical gamers, but they all have ADD and want to play the latest and greatest every time

Hahma wrote:
JohnnyD wrote:
10010110 wrote:

Getting played once a month is a ton John

I got it played a decent amount for awhile, but then my nephew got too busy with work in high school and then went off to college. Then a couple other guys in my game group have kind of moved on to other things. Another guy and his college age son played but then moved to Ohio last year. A couple other guys have tried it but have other priorities with their game time now. I don't have sons, only daughters who have totally stopped gaming (other than video games), about a year and a half ago. So it's been tough sledding for me to get it played over the past couple years, as I am the only one in the area with the game.

I would love to play it every month, or even a couple times a year. Just don't have the people interested like before. So I've been getting into several other miniatures games that I know I can get played once in awhile.

The Walking Dead All Out War plays great solo, co-op or competitive. I have a buddy that has invested a lot in Infinity and I have some as well and we're finally going to get a couple games in this Sunday. I got into Star Wars Legion because several people in my group are huge SW fans and a couple people even bought into it (though I'm the only one to get my stuff painted so far). I've gotten that played several times and it's anticipated when I bring it to my group's monthly all day game day.

SMG is an awesome game, and I'll try to get it back to the table at some point. Ts just a matter of finding the right opportunity and finding someone into historical minis games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.