Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Fawcett
United States
New Albany
IN
flag msg tools
mb
I’m new to wargaming - I think that’s why I’m struggling with the rules so hang with me

On the map, there are boxes labeled for PR and AR counters - separate boxes for blue and red (they’re located next to the MP track). What are these for? Per the rules, the AR and PR counters are acquired via a blind pull. They are then placed on the map. I imagine there are circumstances where you couldn’t place a pulled counter (for example - you pull a ground unit but don’t have naval superiority), but the rules don’t appear to account for that situation. Are they just needless boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking, I have a lot of trouble with the rules as well. What I don't get is how we even pull those when the initial unit draw for setup says to not pull from the AR/PR container.

I have set the game up TWICE because I am committed to finally play this one, but I just never feel confident I am prepping the game correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fawcett
United States
New Albany
IN
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah - it’s been a somewhat intimidating experience thus far . I think I have a hold on how to access the AR/PR counters. You declare it as an action, stating your plan to recruit AR or PR. You pay one MP, roll a 6d, and half the result rounding down (for a result between 0-3). You then blind draw that many counters.

I think this might be where a rule is missing. If you pull a mobile unit you have to have naval superiority in the corresponding area to place it. But what do you do if you don’t have naval superiority? Do you only take the action if you have NS? Do they go in the holding box in my initial question? If so, what is the action where you place them?

I do believe there is a good game in here somewhere, but the lack of proofing dooms it. They do plan to create updated counters, but at a charge. Still not sure how I feel about thst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Setser
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Developer - "Bayonets & Tomahawks" and "Imperial Struggle"
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick - this is your first foray into wargaming, or have you played a few before? We did take some notes during our setup a month or so ago, but I was not the keeper of said notes. Have not taken a look at the game since then - family summer fun and all.

I expect it will all wash out eventually, but do try and stay patient during the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.