Subject: Another Dudes on a Map game, like Cry Havoc or Inis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of Dudes on a Map games. I own Chaos in the old world, Forbidden stars, and Cthulhu wars. I dislike blood rage. My question is if another game like this, more specifically Cry Havoc would be redundant. I was also considering Inis. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you ever have enough 'Dudes on a Map' games? I don't think so!

I especially like all of the Matagot titles: Cyclades, Kemet, Inis are all different and great.

Cry Havoc is also good. It's most similar to 'Chaos in the Old World' because of the very asymmetric faction design. It works quite well at all player counts. I especially like how combat is implemented.

While Rising Sun shares some similarities with 'Blood Rage', it's a much better game. I really like how the (temporary) alliances work and combat is somewhat similar to 'Cry Havoc', i.e. good.

Clockwork Wars is a bit of an insider's tip. It offers excellent replayability thanks to the customizable map and plenty of invention cards. What stands out is that actions are recorded secretly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warparty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I finally get to be the first to suggest Nexus Ops ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:

Indeed you do!

+1 for Nexus Ops as a beautiful and quick "Dudes on a map" style game in its purest form.

--------------------

If you like Inis, it's worth checking out the other games in Matagot's "trilogy":

>>Cyclades: What sets this game apart is the great bidding mechanism to start each round. And the fact that the god whose favor you win in the bid determines what you can do on your turn. Super-fast, but less combat than many others in this genre.

>>Kemet: Fast and furious combat. You spawn troops, move them around, and basically try to murder your opponents at every turn. All players start out the same, but build up engines through the acquisition of power tiles, which pushes each player down a different path.

Others, especially if you enjoyed Cry Havoc:

>>Nexus Ops: Like Kemet above, super-fast and furious, with combat basically being forced upon you by turn one or two. There's a bit of very light resource-management. The battle system uses a really cool 'initiative' mechanism, which forces some interesting decisions.

>>Blood Rage: More of a Euro-style area-control game wrapped in some heavy chrome. But, it definitely fits the bill for a dudes on a map style game. You all start out the same, and build asymmetry through a card draft at the beginning of each round / age.

>>Cthulhu Wars: Super fast, but also super expensive, game. In this game, you are playing from the side of 'evil' (you take on the role of a faction, based around a Lovecraftian GOO) and using power to take actions.

>>Chaos in the Old World: I hesitate to add this one because it's well out of print and expensive, but I really love it. It shares a lot in common with Cthulhu Wars above in that it has asymmetry from the start, you play as an 'evil' faction, and use power to take actions. It's definitely a longer (and more rules-heavy) game than the others.

----------------------

All of these are really focused on the concepts of 'dudes on a map' and 'area control'. And all feature cool plastic minis! I own all of these games, and love them to bits. Hopefully there's one or two that might work well for you and your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Inis feels very much like Blood Rag to me, so if you don't like the one, you may want to be cautious about the other.

+1 Rising Sun (though if you don't like Blood Rage, maybe not)
+1 Nexus Ops (which feels like the bare-bones descendant of Foridden Stars to me)

You might also consider Battle for Rokugan (unless your "dudes" need to be actual miniatures).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrence Miltner

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rurik: Dawn of Kiev and Court of the Dead: Mourners Call are both gorgeous games with interesting mechanics. The auction mechanic in Rurik is novel as is the tithe mechanic in Court of the Dead: Mourners Call.

I backed CotD for the upgraded components and Rurik was calling me, but just not enough to pull the trigger. Maybe one of them will call your attention.

Not quite dudes on a map but Darkrock Ventures was a fun worker placement game at a lower price point and a much smaller footprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
Is that game in print anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Seitz

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
atomicteaspoon wrote:
crazybyzantine wrote:
Is that game in print anymore?

It is not, but is available relatively inexpensively on the GeekMarket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Evans
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inis is probably the least aggressive and 'nicest' game on that list, so if you're looking for something that would appeal to conflict-averse gamers, that's a solid choice.

At the other end of the spectrum, Kemet is wonderfully brutal and a favourite of mine (I also enjoy CitOW, CW and Cry Havoc, so we might have similar tastes).

Finally, my wildcard choice would be Imperial 2030, a dudes on a map game where you can win without having any presence at all. You represent the corporations that are driving the various nations to war, pushing a country to cover as much territory as possible only for as long as it remains profitable, before ditching it and buying into their rival
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its interesting. I have noticed through examining the games I like/don't like, I realize that I dislike dudes on a map games with diplomacy/alliances or blind bidding. I liked most of Game of Thrones, but the elements I disliked stood out too much.

Arachnode wrote:
snip!
I appreciate the thorough synopsis. I own most of those mentioned, so I'm glad to be on the right track. Do you feel there's an overlap with those games?

jhaelen wrote:
snip!
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Clockwork wars isnt available, but it certainly looks interesting. I also did not like Rising Sun. Tne negotiation seemed to be how mechanical imbalances were glossed over and battles felt too uncertain. Different strokes. Maybe I just feel weird that the game worked so poorly for me as I like Eric Lang.

asgelb wrote:
Warparty!
looks like another older title not easily found. Anything particularly special about it that makes you suggest it?

wamsp wrote:
Battle for Rokugan
Thanks for the info. Minis aren't necessarily important to me. I think the diplomatic element is something I dislike. It dawned on me after looking at this game. It looks like a great game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plum wrote:
snip
I checked out your collection and you seem to be right. Cool. Thanks for the recommendation of Imperial 2030.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Mock
United States
MELBOURNE
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Inis is great, but I really don't think you can lump it in with the rest of the "dudes on a map" games. There is a totally different feel to that game, and combat is not necessarily a top priority.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I'm not here to tell someone how they feel is wrong, but I totally disagree with comparing it to Blood Rage. Blood Rage and Inis don't have the same feel to me at all.
I do feel that Rising Sun is basically the same as Blood Rage, though. A little better here, a little worse there, but really the same game. In fact, I think Eric Lang has really just been making the same game over and over since Chaos in the Old World (which is the best of the lot in my opinion) with minor tweaks and theme changes, and making excuses for charging an arm and a leg for Kickstarter exclusives and a ton of minis that aren't at all necessary for gameplay.
Overall, I agree that all the Matagot games are great (Inis, Cyclades, and Kemet), and all of them are very different from each other, justifying having all 3 on your shelf.
I think Cry Havoc is boring and the combat, although "innovative" just takes all the actual fun out of combat. By the way, it is basically the same system that Lang copied in Rising Sun.
The Imperial games are good, but you have to be aware that those are economic games and you never really control an army, you just use the armies to make money.
If you want the ultimate "dudes on a map" game, you might want to take a look at Twilight Imperium 4. It's long as hell and a bit involved, but there's nothing like it.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hall
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1Blood Rage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.