Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernardo Tonasse
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Hello, everyone.

I've been wanting to get this game for a while now, and I read somewhere that the publisher is planning to release a big box version in September. Do you guys think it's worth the wait? I mean, from what I've heard, the only expansion that's really good is the first one. But maybe I heard wrong.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say wait. You've got a better change of all the components being of the same quality and print than if you were to gather up everything now. I've had some issues with missing cards and bad print jobs assembling my full set. At least if you get the Ultimate set, you can check if everything is there and make your claim to WizKids within your allowable window for them to fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it is worth, I thought all of 3 of the expansions were very good. Lost Legion was excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jolly G. Giant
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
btonasse wrote:

...from what I've heard, the only expansion that's really good is the first one. But maybe I heard wrong.

Krang and Braevalar are two of the more interesting MKs to play, in my opinion. I've played them more often than the base set offerings.

Also, Shades of Tezla may be more of an icing type expansion then a necessity, but I always play with it mixed in with my base and appreciate the monsters and scenarios it brings to the table.

When I think of Mage Knight, I consider the game + all expansions = the best experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus the bonus of having a rule book that has everything in one place instead of spread across expansion books is valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got all of mine just last year. Lost Legion came warped and discolored, got the free replacements from wiz kids and they were still discolored, though not as bad, but not warped. I would wait, replacements took 3 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally broke down and got the last expansion, fortunately one with the right sized tokens in it. And I did it right about a week before they announced the master set.
I'd say wait, unless your collecting for some other reason (i.e. you want to actually collect the original run).
If I understand, there are one or two new cards in the master set, so that almost makes the "collector" in me want to get the new set also.
Another advantage of waiting for the master set, is that it will presumably store all in the one box. I hope they have considered leaving storage room for sleeved cards. My Mage Knight:BG is a larger conglomeration of minis, deck holders, token holders, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondřej Placzek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say wait, too, especially since they're gonna release the big box in Czech, as well, so it's going to be the only way to get translated expansions, if that's something you desire. I've sold my Czech copy few months after it came out and went all in on the English one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardo Tonasse
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the very helpful answers. So I guess its time to wait (and hope it will be easy to find in English here in the Czech Republic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardo Tonasse
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
TheNimral wrote:
I'd say wait, too, especially since they're gonna release the big box in Czech, as well, so it's going to be the only way to get translated expansions, if that's something you desire. :) I've sold my Czech copy few months after it came out and went all in on the English one.

Actually I always try to have my games in English, because I've been moving around a lot, and my game collection very quickly started to resemble a Tower of Babel. So depending on the group I play with, some games are a no-no right from the get go because of the language barrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
btonasse wrote:
Thanks for the very helpful answers. So I guess its time to wait (and hope it will be easy to find in English here in the Czech Republic)

I would wait if I were you. I also would wait to buy the big box until some people give reviews of the big box and the quality of the components. I would assume they will have all of the quality issues fixed, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, wait. It's worth it by far. Better deal $$ and the first expansion is especially worth it. I wouldn't wait for quality control, it's not like the previous versions are any better. Like.. okay, if it's just as bad as the previous versions, then it's also just as 'good' as the previous versions and at a better $ than buying individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be a good idea to wait. However, do not pre-order it and once it is out wait for a bit longer (At least a month).

Wiz Kids got a long history of quality issues on release and it takes them a while to fix. You don't want to spend this money and then wait another three months for the fixed components to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardo Tonasse
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Lotana wrote:
It would be a good idea to wait. However, do not pre-order it and once it is out wait for a bit longer (At least a month).

Wiz Kids got a long history of quality issues on release and it takes them a while to fix. You don't want to spend this money and then wait another three months for the fixed components to arrive.

Sounds like sensible advice. Thanks once more, everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.