Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
any2cards
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a general question concerning attacks that may target and/or effect multiple monsters (such as aoe's or multi-target attacks).

For example, assume I am a Spellweaver, and I have managed to get my Crackling Air in play (On your next four attacks, add +1 Attack - +2 Attack if you consume Air).

Assume on a subsequent turn, I put Fire Orbs into play (Attack 3, Range 3, Target 3), and assume I can attack 3 monsters. Is that one total attack action, such that my persistent Crackling Air only advances my token 1 space to the right, or does it count as 3 attacks, so that my persistent Crackling Air advances 3 spaces to the last bottom space on the right?

Basically, I have this same question across multiple classes that have similar persistent abilities. I believe the answer is that it is just 1 attack, so that my persistent ability is only activated once.

If I am correct, are there any exceptions (due to wording differences, etc.) of which I should be aware? If I am wrong, and each target is considered a different attack, allowing the persistent ability to trigger 3 times, is this always the case, or are there exceptions?

One last question. If I do consume Air, is it +2 attack against all 3 targets, or just against one of the 3 targets that I choose?

Thank you in advance for your answers and explanations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any2cards wrote:
Is that one total attack action[..] or does it count as 3 attacks

First we need to clear up some terminology, because both of the quoted terms apply.

Fire orbs is one attack action that makes three attacks (for simplicity, remember that every time you flip a combat card, that is a separate attack)

Some abilities affect the entire attack action, and they would apply to all three attacks.

Crackling Air, however, applies to your next four attacks, and so each fire orb target consumes a charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire Orbs (top) is one attack action. However, Crackling Air adds +1/+2 per attack. So you can use three of your four charges of Crackling Air with one use of Fire Orbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any2cards wrote:
One last question. If I do consume Air, is it +2 attack against all 3 targets, or just against one of the 3 targets that I choose?

(Missed this one in my first reply, so here goes a double-post)

You consume air (or not) when you CAST crackling air. If you consume air, all four charges give +2, regardless of when you use them. To remember, we usually stack two tokens on the card when it was cast with air.

EDIT: Changed confusing wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ender
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
So you can use three of your four charges of Crackling Air with one use of Fire Orbs.

In fact, you have to use three charges (provided you actually perform three attacks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, maybe poor wording on my part. What I mean by "can" is that it is possible that your Fire Orbs uses three charges of Crackling Air. It will use three charges if you target three enemies with it, but it could use fewer because you won't always target three enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Potent Potables for the Tinkerer uses one charge for each Heal Action, not for each Heal. So it can use one charge for all of the heals done by Restorative Mist's bottom. Nature's Lift for the Cragheart also uses just one charge for each attack action, not for each attack.

But Crackling Air uses one charge for each attack. It is different from Potent Potables and Nature's Lift. However, you also only need to consume air when putting Crackling Air into play for the Spellweaver for the +2 bonus to be active in the future (but the Spellweaver cannot consume air later on to increase the bonus from 1 to 2). The Cragheart needs to consume air each time when using Nature's Lift (although the Cragheart does not consume air when putting the card into play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
any2cards
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I have read everyone's responses above. Just to be clear (and to make sure I understand this correctly):

When a persistent card says "attack", I am using one charge for each attack that occurs.

When a persistent card says "attack action", I am using one charge that covers all of the attacks that may occur (multiple targets, aoe, etc.).

Do I have this correct?

Also, I (and my group) are surprised by the fact that a card like Crackling Air requires that I be able to consume air when it is played, and if I do so, I then get +2 Attack for any future uses. If I don't consume it right away, I don't get +2 Attack at all, even if I could consume it on subsequent turns.

I have looked through the manual and the FAQ for pertinent sections, and don't see this directly addressed anywhere.

It just seems strange that if I play Crackling Air on turn 1, but don't use it until turn 4, I somehow have to keep track as to whether or not I consumed air when it was played.

While we often have discussions about game rules, none of us interpreted this card in this manner. We all thought that when you actually do make the attack, if you can consume air, you get the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ender
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
any2cards wrote:
So I have read everyone's responses above. Just to be clear (and to make sure I understand this correctly):

When a persistent card says "attack", I am using one charge for each attack that occurs.

When a persistent card says "attack action", I am using one charge that covers all of the attacks that may occur (multiple targets, aoe, etc.).

Do I have this correct?

Yes. Even multiple "Attack" lines on the same half of a card only count as one attack action.

Quote:
Also, I (and my group) are surprised by the fact that a card like Crackling Air requires that I be able to consume air when it is played, and if I do so, I then get +2 Attack for any future uses. If I don't consume it right away, I don't get +2 Attack at all, even if I could consume it on subsequent turns.

I have looked through the manual and the FAQ for pertinent sections, and don't see this directly addressed anywhere.

It just seems strange that if I play Crackling Air on turn 1, but don't use it until turn 4, I somehow have to keep track as to whether or not I consumed air when it was played.

While we often have discussions about game rules, none of us interpreted this card in this manner. We all thought that when you actually do make the attack, if you can consume air, you get the bonus.

While it's not addressed explicitly, the FAQ entry on this particular card implies that it's played like this:

Quote:
Crackling Air (Card 069):
Keep track of whether you consumed air when you used this ability by placing another character token on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
any2cards wrote:

correct.

Quote:

Yes, an "attack action" covers all attacks made from a single card that turn.
(if both cards that you play that turn have attacks that you're using, each card is its own "attack action". So for example, if you used a Power Potion to boost the attacks from your top half card, any attacks from the bottom half card would not benefit from the Power Potion)

Quote:

If you have a question about a certain character ability card, then you should check under the "Character" section of the FAQ, which generally means having to click on spoiler tags under the character symbol for that character, and then a second tag for the Level of the card in question (even for Level 1 abilities of starting characters).
In this case, you would look under the Spellweaver symbol, then under "Level 1 and X" cards, which would give you this:
Quote:
Crackling Air (Card 069):
Keep track of whether you consumed air when you used this ability by placing another character token on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you consume the air element when playing the card, it essentially changes the text from "On your next four attacks, add +1 Attack" to "On your next four attacks, add +2 Attack".

The magical enchantment is crafted at the time the card is played, not at the time the attacks themselves are made. If the battlefield is infused with Wind energy when the dweomer is formed, it heightens the ability. But it doesn't matter whether or not the battlefield is infused with Wind at the time of the attacks, since the enchantment is already in place.

This ruling makes the card more powerful, so don't complain (unless you just hate Spellweavers in general because you are jealous of their power cool laugh)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
any2cards
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to all for taking the time to clarify things. I want to especially thank Martin and Jay for so GENTLY pointing out that the FAQ does address Crackling Air.

My only excuse is that I am 77 and broken. Simply missed it. I need to remember that searching within the live FAQ thread does not reach the spoiler sections.

And Jay, as for hating the Spellweaver, not at all. I just want to make damn sure I understand how to play this correctly, because I sure don't want to be 50+ scenarios in and then find out we were playing wrong. Lol.

We are only on scenario 2, and the way we were playing it was to our detriment, so it is all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any2cards wrote:
My only excuse is that I am 77 and broken.

No need for excuses. The only reason I know this is that we played it wrong for a while before someone pointed it out to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.