Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Colonial Era game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
erin allport
msg tools
Looking for a game to play with my teens about the exploration/colonial era of american history. Looking at Frances Drake or Enpires Age of Discovery...or Colonial Europes Empires Overseas.
Which is best game, which is most hostorical? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Unfortunately, most boardgames that I know of with this theme are very Eurocentric and not particularly historical. For an educational context, I would not personally suggest any of the games you mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erinallport wrote:
Looking for a game to play with my teens about the exploration/colonial era of american history. Looking at Frances Drake or Enpires Age of Discovery...or Colonial Europes Empires Overseas.

Not sure how historical, but Lewis & Clark might be worth checking out (if by exploration era you include their expedition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
erinallport wrote:

I like all 3 of these, but if you're looking to be immersed in history I'm not sure these are the games you're looking for. I love the way you program your actions sequentially (and simultaneously) in Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas. The board is beautiful (but maybe not as functional as it should be due to the tiny lettering on the map). Several years ago, it was probably in my top 5 or 10 games but I haven't played it in awhile.

Empires Age of Discovery looks great on the table and is fun and pretty easy to learn and teach.

I like Francis Drake for it's two distinct parts to each round: 1) gather your resources to prepare to go to sea; 2) go to sea and do some swashbuckling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erinallport wrote:

It's not one you were looking at nor a terribly highly ranked game, but my kids enjoyed outfitting their own expeditions in Age of Exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erin allport
msg tools
Thanks! This looks pretty close to what I'm hoping for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Calitri
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
GMT Games or Academy Games have some good titles dealing with this era.

I recently played a game from MMP games called King Philip's War. Very simple game but to my delight very fun with a nice level of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel William
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try "Race to the New Found Land":

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caravelas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.