Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Obstacle Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Johnson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Getting back into the game tonight after a bit of an absence. Reading the rulebook again, I see this:

"Obstacles acts as hazards that can disrupt and damage ships. When a ship executes a maneuver, if its base or maneuver template overlaps an obstacle
token, it executes its maneuver as normal but suffers an effect based on the type of obstacle."

But then, reading the FAQ, it seems to contradict this:

"After a ship’s base or maneuver template overlaps an obstacle, and the
overlap is not from executing a maneuver, it suffers an effect based on the
type of obstacle:"

It's the "and the overlap is not from executing a maneuver" part that confuses me. What is that supposed to clarify? Does that mean that if my maneuver takes me completely clear of the obstacle, I don't suffer any damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guy Somebody wrote:
Getting back into the game tonight after a bit of an absence. Reading the rulebook again, I see this:

"Obstacles acts as hazards that can disrupt and damage ships. When a ship executes a maneuver, if its base or maneuver template overlaps an obstacle
token, it executes its maneuver as normal but suffers an effect based on the type of obstacle."

But then, reading the FAQ, it seems to contradict this:

"After a ship’s base or maneuver template overlaps an obstacle, and the
overlap is not from executing a maneuver, it suffers an effect based on the
type of obstacle:"

It's the "and the overlap is not from executing a maneuver" part that confuses me. What is that supposed to clarify? Does that mean that if my maneuver takes me completely clear of the obstacle, I don't suffer any damage?

The FAQ was updated with the addition of collision detector and tractor beam into the game. The FAQ is making it clear that any time your base lands on an obstacle (such as boost or barrel rol) you still suffer the effects. This was due to people wondering since the rules initially only accounted for maneuvering into obstacles and not boosting/barrel rolling/being tracto beamed onto them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Johnson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks, that makes sense, although I am still a little bit confused by exactly what the rules mean by the word "overlapping." If the rules say "if a ship overlaps another ship when executing a maneuver," it's only referring to the end position of the ship, correct? Like, If the maneuver template "overlaps" another ship, that's not a problem. But, if my ship ends the maneuver and then ends up on top of another ship, that's when in its in an "overlapping" state. I guess I am confused by the timing when exactly an overlap occurs, especially since you then move the ship back so that is no longer overlapping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ship to ship overlap occurs when the final position of the moving ship is blocked by the position of the overlapped ship. In this case the ship that is moving is placed as close to the end of the template as possible (while keeping it centered on the template as possible).
Obstacle overlapping occurs when either the template or the base overlaps an obstacle, with different effects depending on the obstacle and/or the position of the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.