kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
This week's topic: Hot. No, not The Hotness. HOT. This July, countries all over the northern hemisphere are breaking their all-time high temperature records. Japan hit 106º (41º C) degrees. The United Kingdom is supposed to break its all-time record of 101º (38º C) degrees today. Algeria reached 124.5º (51º C) degrees, the highest ever recorded there. Some parts of Sweden are over 90 (32º C) degrees this month (which doesn't sound that bad comparatively, but they're not used to it). Inside my own house it got up to 96 (35.5º C) degrees yesterday, and it was 100º (37º C) outside. It is freaking hot. What do you do to cope with the heat? Does it affect your gaming?

Poll
What is the hottest temperature it has ever been in your city (while you were living there)?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
above 115º F (46º C)
6.5% 17
115º F (46º C)
1.1% 3
110º+ F (43º C)
16.5% 43
105º+ F (40º C)
24.5% 64
102º+ F (39º C)
15.7% 41
100º+ F (38º C)
12.6% 33
98º+ F (37º C)
6.9% 18
95º+ F (35º C)
9.6% 25
90º+ F (32º C)
3.8% 10
80º+ F (27º C)
2.3% 6
70º+ F (21º C)
0.4% 1
below 70º F (21º C)
0.0% 0
Voters 261
What is the hottest temperature it has ever been inside your house?
above 115º F (46º C)
1.2% 3
115º F (46º C)
0.8% 2
110º+ F (43º C)
1.2% 3
105º+ F (40º C)
2.4% 6
102º+ F (39º C)
4.0% 10
100º+ F (38º C)
5.2% 13
98º+ F (37º C)
6.0% 15
95º+ F (35º C)
15.1% 38
90º+ F (32º C)
28.2% 71
80º+ F (27º C)
34.1% 86
70º+ F (21º C)
2.0% 5
below 70º F (21º C)
0.0% 0
Voters 252
What mitigating factors do you have for extreme heat?
Air Conditioning
70.9% 190
Ceiling Fans
62.3% 167
Glasses of ice water
67.5% 181
Swamp Cooler
2.2% 6
Swimming Pool
10.1% 27
Lake / Swimming Hole
7.8% 21
Sprinklers / Water toys
15.7% 42
A shady area outdoors
32.8% 88
My house is shaded by trees
26.9% 72
My house has good insulation in its walls
37.3% 100
My house is at least partly underground or built into a mountain
12.7% 34
I do/have something else that helps me deal with the heat
9.7% 26
It gets really hot where I am, but I have no mitigating factors
2.2% 6
It never gets too hot in my area, so I don't need any mitigating factors
3.7% 10
Voters 268
What board games, if any, do you like to play when the weather is hot?
Games with ice/winter themes
1.9% 5
Games with fire/lava themes
1.2% 3
Games with tropical themes
3.9% 10
Easy/light games that my heat-sluggish brain can handle
18.1% 47
Heavy/involved games to distract me from the heat
0.8% 2
Any game on the table at my friend's air-conditioned house
19.7% 51
My gaming preferences don't change in the heat
62.9% 163
I avoid playing any games in the heat
10.4% 27
I am unaffected by the heat because of my awesome mitigating factors
21.6% 56
I am unaffected by the heat because it never gets too hot where I live
2.3% 6
Voters 259
Pick one for the next two months:
Really hot (100º F, 37º C), but you get to play whatever games you like
28.0% 74
Really cold (32º F, 0º C), but you get to play whatever games you like
61.7% 163
Comfortable temperature, but you can't play games
10.2% 27
Voters 264
This poll is now closed.   272 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Sat Aug 4, 2018 6:00 am

If you enjoy these polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

New! If you are female, you can take part in the TGIF Women's Poll. Same questions, but the poll is only open to the 10% of us on BGG who are female or gender-diverse.

Discussion: Offstage voice: “How hot is it?”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh no...you left off my top choice - desert games! We've been playing Five Tribes, Istanbul, Jaipur, and Sobek and I have even more arid themes waiting in the wings. I love playing games in the shade on a hot day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guessing you live in a warm area if you think really cold is 32F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The heat doesn't affect my choice of game, I just play later in the day when it's cooled a little.

I will always take cold over heat. If you're too hot, there's only so much you can do to cool down- much more & you get arrested or sacked.
If it's cold, there are many fun ways to warm up.
That I'm quite happy in shorts & t-shirt while the snow lays thickly on the ground may also play it's part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
How hot is it? Too hot!

I sweat like a pig as soon as I move around, my lawn is yellow and crackles when I walk on it, even my wife who generally likes it warm has had it with this heat.

Freezing temperatures and play any and all games I like? Yes please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
Some parts of Sweden are over 90 (32º C) degrees this month (which doesn't sound that bad comparatively, but they're not used to it).
Thing is, a normal summer we have one or two days where the temp hits 30°C+, and a few weeks where it's 20°C+, but this year it's been 25°C+ (75F) most of the time since late April! That's nowhere near normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
really hot so people will HAVE to stay in and play games with me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sensitive to temperature extremes and have a hard time focusing (on something like board games) when it's either very hot (too busy searching for a shady patch) or very cold (too busy searching for a wood-fire).

So I'd just as soon be at a comfortable temperature without board games whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
copcopps wrote:
really hot so people will HAVE to stay in and play games with me

I read this as:

copcopps wrote:
really hot people will HAVE to stay in and play games with me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Humidex, we've hit 46+, without, 36.6 degrees. At those temperatures, and not having air conditioning in my flat, I do not play games. I fear that to do so would warp the paper based components from my handling them.

For the final question, I chose really cold because, well, 0 degrees is not all that cold. If it was zero all winter, I'd be quite pleased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm approaching 40 years of living in Texas and I still hate the summers. If the first settlers in Texas arrived in June, July or August and stayed, they were certifiable.

Still, we generally have good air conditioning everywhere. When we don't, things get unpleasant fast. We had an AC outage in my parish several years ago. It was in August, which is only one of our many hottest months (fun fact - the highest temperature ever recorded in College Station was in September of 2000) and the church was good and hot when the evening Mass happened. Our pastor's homily that day was short and to the point:

Father David wrote:
It's hot in here. Hell is hotter, so shape up!

Then he sat down.

We reached 106F earlier this week, but we're better off than the places where air conditioning is not as common. I've been in London, Montreal, Tokyo and Manila in the middle of heat waves and it's not fun. We also haven't had the fires that Greece, Colorado and California have had this year (yet - we're pretty dry, so we have the risk of it happening here again). Everyone affected by the nasty weather this year certainly has my sympathies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Really cold" here is -40 which is great because people don't want to go outside; they want to play long games!
When it's really hot people want to enjoy the weather so I don't blame them for not gaming. Summer's too short so I welcome the temporary heat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Vestal
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, for that last question I think the cold end of temperatures that I would find comparably unpleasant to 100F would be something like -20F/-29C, but I'd still probably take the cold. I love the cold and I can't stand the heat (but really the problem is the humidity). Unfortunately where I've lived for the past six years it regularly gets into the 90s with relatively high humidity in the summer. And my apartment in particular seems to really not want to get cool. If I keep my ac on full blast and I get a bit lucky it might get down to 80F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Give me lots of games and cold temps. I can always put on more clothes or wrap up in a blanket. It’s been quite hot here and we can run either the bedroom air conditioner or the one in the living room. I miss central air...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
This week's topic: Hot. No, not The Hotness. HOT. This July, countries all over the world Northern Hemisphere are breaking their all-time high temperature records.

Fixed that for you, some of us in the world are in Winter at the moment cool

Some of the temperatures reported across Europe don't seem that extreme to me, but
a) I accept that they are not normal for those areas
b) I come from somewhere it never snows, so what would I know!

For the record the extremes were I come from are:
Hottest temperature: 46.4 °C (115.5 °F), 7 February 2009.
Coldest temperature: −2.8 °C (27.0 °F), 21 July 1869.

The hot day was REALLY hot, the cold day preceded my by around a century!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my current location (the Pacific Northwest) it rarely gets above 90F(32C), but I've lived in places (India & the Middle East) where it routinely got up to 120+F or higher. In my experience, humidity is as much if not more of a factor than temperature in determining your level of discomfort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's winter here and the other week we hit -7C with snow. So... I do come from somewhere where it snows, and I think the Europeans need to suck it up

The summer before last we hit 38C here which was possibly a record.

But it was definitely a record the same day at my place of work down the mountain. I think it was 48C, and was the hottest place on earth on that particular day. We didn't quite get up there this year, but got close. Stop complaining, I say!

We have insulation and fire for the cold, and the house has an apartment on the bottom floor with not too many windows and built a little into the hillside. On hot days we've been known to go and camp down there for the day, with a few light games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I can’t remember ever being in heat above 110 degrees. I can’t really imagine that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Basically it feels like you are in an oven and your brain is starting to melt. If there is any wind it's like someone switched on the fan force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the day when central Indiana was -36F/-38C. My car wouldn't start, and when I called in saying I would be late, my boss ORDERED me to stay home. I also remember when I was a teenager it was 106F/41C, but I was staying at a cabin on a lake, and was in the water until I got sunburnt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
"Compared to You, I'm just a nighlight, against the blazing Son." --Jimmy Needham
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:

Still, we generally have good air conditioning everywhere. When we don't, things get unpleasant fast. We had an AC outage in my parish several years ago. It was in August, which is only one of many our hottest months (fun fact - the highest temperature ever recorded in College Station was in September of 2000) and the church was good and hot when the evening Mass happened. Our pastor's homily that day was short and to the point:

Father David wrote:
It's hot in here. Hell is hotter, so shape up!

Then he sat down.

laugh Thanks for sharing that! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
kataclysm wrote:
This week's topic: Hot. No, not The Hotness. HOT. This July, countries all over the world Northern Hemisphere are breaking their all-time high temperature records.

Fixed that for you, some of us in the world are in Winter at the moment cool

Duly edited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:

Basically it feels like you are in an oven and your brain is starting to melt. If there is any wind it's like someone switched on the fan force.

Yep. 46.4 °C (115.5 °F) day it was actually reasonably nice early in the day, sunny and high 30s or low 40s. However later in the day it got very windy and cloudy and smokey (from the bushfires) and I opened the door very briefly and it was just like opening an over with the blast of hot air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Texas triple figure temperatures (F) can begin in June and linger into October. Almost everyday in July and August have highs in or very near triple figures. I grew up in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I don't consider the heat overly bothersome. As deacondavid said almost every building here has air conditioning. In the summer I generally enjoy the great (cool) indoors.

I don't like the cold of even our mild winters. We sometimes see single figure temperatures (F), but it usually doesn't stay cold very long. Almost every month has at least a few days with a high temperature of at least 70 F.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
The last option I chose comfy temps w/o games. I can last a couple months if it means I'm comfy and my vegatables and fruit trees don't die

Love this quote: "I believe if I had a house in hell and a house in St. George, I'd rent out the one in St. George [southern Utah] and live in hell. I really would.”--J. Golden Kimball (Mormon Leader in the 1920s and 30s)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.