Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hubertis Malvenus
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello Fellow Cataclysmers,

Any suggestions on where I can get historically accurate (see Note below) German flag counters for Cataclysm: A World War that won't look like I am using pieces from another game?

Thanks.

Note - In September 1935, the use of the black-white-red imperial tricolor flag (the one included in the game) was discontinued and only the Nazi Party flag was considered the national flag of Germany until the fall of the Third Reich in 1945. So the tricolor flag is no longer relevant/valid after one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you planning to do - sub them out after 1 and (about) 1/3 turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubertis Malvenus
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
No. Use the flags most commonly associated with the Third Reich for the entire game. After all, the events in the game are triggered after Hitler becomes Chancellor of Germany.

How much news footage or photographs (in books, magazines, articles) of Nazi Germany from 1933 - 1945 do you recall seeing the black-white-red tricolor flag? In fact how many people (beyond those keenly interested in history) even know that that flag had anything to do with Nazi Germany?

I think the Balkenkreuz of the Wehrmacht(like Triumph & Tragedy uses)is also historically accurate/relevant from 1935 on, but then I'd have to replace all the national flags for all the nations. Plus that has more of a military theme and I believe the Cataclysm flags are supposed to represent governmental/political actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
(sarcasm deleted)

Whatever you substitute in, better make sure they FEEL like the other counters since they will be drawn, putatively at random, from a cup with other Cataclysm pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubertis Malvenus
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
That is an excellent point! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe some people have generated random ROLL concepts for drawing randomly from a cup.

I.e. split into 10 sections, roll a D10 to determine section, then a d6 to determine which chit within that section etc.

If you end up making flags, you may need to do something like that.

-K

P.S. Alternatively, just download the PDFs included here and use Paint.net or GIMP or any other freeware graphics program and replace the German flag on the countersheets with your own image, then make an entirely new set of counters that will, necessarily, all be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubertis Malvenus
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another excellent post -- both the random roll concept and the flag suggestions)!
Thank you, Mr. Bernatz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.