14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Scenario 51 - what was your party? (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claire Postlethwaite
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We just completed the last of Hail’s quests last night which means we can now play scenario 51. I had a bit of a look as I was packing up to see what it entails (I already knew it was the finale, but hadn’t looked at the details). We are currently playing a level 7 music note and a level 6 circles, they’ve been a pretty good combo for the 8 or so scenarios they’ve been paired it, but for this one I just don’t think we stand a chance.

I’m not looking for spoilers as to how people did it, but for those who have completed it, what was your party composition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
We were lucky. I don’t remember our levels exactly (7/8, I think), playing 2 Minis and Scoundrel - quite a good combination for this type of scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not going into the party composition, we thought that we would have a much harder time than we actually did. It sure did look impossible at first, but we kept going. Remember, card loss cancels ANY amount of single source damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a level 9 moon and a level 9 lightning bolt. It was actually pretty easy because one of those classes is absurdly good in this kind of scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu and Circles, both probably level 7-8.

Cthulhu was absolute garbage for it. Circles was very good though.

In the end it was easy, just like most boss scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Postlethwaite
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tal342 wrote:
Remember, card loss cancels ANY amount of single source damage.

Sure, but my worry is (music note and circles spoilers)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
we both have so few cards to loose to start with. And the auto-damage at the end of each turn is going to be pretty rough on the summons.

Our strategy so far with this pairing has involved
cursing the hell out of the monster deck, then making the monsters play with disadvantage while the wolves/stone golem go at them. But with just a single boss who is immune to curse, we’ll have to come up with something else...

Obviously, haven’t actually tried it yet, maybe it’ll all work out ok!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Circles myself and I agree that for the most part the summons will not work in this scenario. Perhaps the wolves might be more effective than just discarding the card for damage control. But for the loss of cards, I remember that there was the ability to recover 4 cards and that ups the effective hand size. You will have to concentrate on direct damage. I know there is some there, you need to re-evaluate the cards you take. Since you are using cards directly as opposed to the one shot that use as a summons gives you more turns too. Healing is also helpful, especially if its bottom action as you get to use your attack and heal if you are positioned correctly.

I haven't played music note, but I remember her as a useful support class. Once again, concentrate on damage and healing. Just get in position and take the boss down.

May the boss cards be with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathmoclaire wrote:
tal342 wrote:
Remember, card loss cancels ANY amount of single source damage.

Sure, but my worry is (music note and circles spoilers)
we both have so few cards to loose to start with. And the auto-damage at the end of each turn is going to be pretty rough on the summons.

Nah, circles has effectively 12 cards.

Summons with 2 health are not great but let's look at the wolves for example: They probably do 9 damage (your deck is likely to give +1s) and absorb one hit, or 6 damage and absorb 2 hits.

If your entire hand were as effective as wolves, you would be able to solo the boss while your partner did nothing. And hey, two of your cards are wolves, and 2 of them are void eaters, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mathmoclaire wrote:
We just completed the last of Hail’s quests last night which means we can now play scenario 51. I had a bit of a look as I was packing up to see what it entails (I already knew it was the finale, but hadn’t looked at the details). We are currently playing a level 7 music note and a level 6 circles, they’ve been a pretty good combo for the 8 or so scenarios they’ve been paired it, but for this one I just don’t think we stand a chance.

I’m not looking for spoilers as to how people did it, but for those who have completed it, what was your party composition?

That level 8 song for the Music Note would come in real handy here. But you're not quite there yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did it with level 7 Brute and Saw. That was pretty fun and tense, because neither character is really set up to shine in this kind of boss fight, but they can last a little longer than you'd think with smart play.

For Circles, you will find your usual strategy to be quite difficult in this fight. It's still worth bringing the standard level 1 cards, but don't expect them to generate a ton of value; you'll have to lean on smart positioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a thought, but spending a few gold at the Temple won't make a tremendous difference, but it could help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N F
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
I'm kind of surprised to see everyone answering with 2 characters. I usually play solo two characters, but bring a 3rd for "important" scenarios. This is partially for the usually big reward.

Two Mini, Spikey Head, & Sun.

Two Mini basically killed the boss by itself, just like it basically killed every scenario by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Face 8, Eclipse 9, Lightning 9, and the Mindthief at level 8.

Disappointingly easy, despite our initial disbelief that we could dish out nearly 200 hp of damage fast enough. Angry Face and Lightning both got stunned once, and only the latter caused much of a problem. I'll be playing 51 at least twice more with different players and am already trying to figure out how much of a difficulty boost would be right. This combination strikes me as especially effective.

Angry Face spoiler: [spoiler]The dooms of choice ended up being +2 and +1 attack to all allies. Especially good with the Mindthief getting multiple attack actions per round.[/spoiler]

And those who have unlocked Eclipse and Lightning won't need spoilers to guess which especially effective single-target card combos were deployed. I believe the killing blow was Lightning playing one of the high damage ones and drawing a blessing modifier card, but the writing was on the wall for the Gloom by that point anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angry Face (7), Cthulu (6), Mindthief (5), Sun (6)

Sun did little but heal and absorb a couple of hits. Angry Face did most of the hard work. Mindthief combo damage with healing augment, Cthulu drifted around aimlessly occasionally getting a hit in at range.

As others have said, it was not as difficult as it first looked and I don't believe we ever felt in trouble of failing.

It was an interesting scenario in that most people chose different cards to what they would normally use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.