mbmbmbmbmb
Another balance thread, I'm on a roll

Quote:
Treasure card / Hero: Possessed Elf
Class: Fighter
3 physical attack
6 skill
Dungeon : Discard 1 XP to gain +3 physical attack

As a treasure card, it can be drawn anytime in the game. It doesn't bother me that some treasure cards are good, and some are less good. I don't feel that any treasure card are absolutely bad.
However, Possessed Elf is a really powerful card. +3 attack, potentially +6 at the cost of (only) 1 XP. If it lets you kill a lvl 2 or lvl 3 monster, losing 1 XP is a tiny price to pay.

Getting it in the early game can be desastrous. I've seen it, and I've done it. Even late game, it is still a strong card to gain.

Losing 1 XP as the only downside feels weak. Having this card in the treasure deck makes the randomness of the treasure system too rewarding (or too punishing), at this point it's not funny anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really agree on the surface that this card is too strong. It's pretty much on par with other heroes.

1 XP is a fine price to pay for such a small amount of extra power. I've had games where the winner was determined by a difference in only one to three points, so it can matter that one player is spending XP to secure their victories while other players did not.

And in situations where a few XP may not have made a difference, that player was likely in a good position to have won anyway, even if this card was any other in his deck.

This card is certainly a strong mid-game card, but this isn't going to be swinging any games all on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on par with other heroes... lvl 3 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blackford
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it as spending an XP to draw a 3 damage card and only ever a 3 damage card. There are a lot more cards in that box that let you draw a card that can be something a lot better, and don't cost an XP to use.

The 3 damage and 6 skill is more of an issue to me but I haven't seen all the heroes so I can't really give an informed opinion there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like to
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At least he doesn't have bad hair like a certain halfling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrashCat wrote:
I see it as spending an XP to draw a 3 damage card and only ever a 3 damage card. There are a lot more cards in that box that let you draw a card that can be something a lot better, and don't cost an XP to use.

But how much do they cost to acquire? How much time does it take to get them? that's also a thing to take into consideration.

If at any turn, having this +3 atk bonus means the difference between getting a lvl 1 monster and a lvl 2 or even 3 one, then that XP lost will give you a nice profit after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3 extra for an Exp is nice and all but the 6 carry is extremely useful at all stages of the game. Especially if you have access to the big weapons that normally cost a stone or a token to get equipped. It's more of a situational card IMO.

If i had to pick a powerful treasure card i would say the Rogue Lurker and free level are the best of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.