Hide
19 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Pre-Gen Con update up (#33) - July 2018 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hibasaki Sanjuro
msg tools
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-b...

They also provided copies (previews?) of the rulebook and adventure book.

EDIT: Links removed, as they've oddly stated they're not public and for backers only - despite the fact that anyone can access the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NZ Nick
United States
Medford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
16/18 Injection mods completed, hence over 7 months behind schedule. They might be selling a few copies at Gen Con. CMON > FFP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hibasaki Sanjuro
msg tools
nzbiship wrote:
16/18 Injection mods completed, hence over 7 months behind schedule. They might be selling a few copies at Gen Con. CMON > FFP.

CMON is a much more developed company - searching for it even shows their stock price. Whereas FFP does seem much more like the organisations that really need to use kickstarters.

As for the delays, did they originally promise shipping in 2017? I ask because I wasn't on board with the project then and the first I heard was March 2018. But they were up front in December that issues with getting the injection molds tooled had caused a delay. All they've done here is update on that earlier position by saying that 16 of the 18 are ready. If some copies are available for purchase next week, that means everything for the core set has been done.

The thing I most care about is whether the pledges ship before all/most of the components are available for purchase at retail. It still seems that we should get the pledges first. If that changes, then obviously I would get a refund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original plan was shipping march 2018 as you said.

Pretty confident we will get all this before retail, except maybe the core set and one or two expansions. There are still about a dozen or so items from the original Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter that have still to hit retail and we are not having anywhere near all the problems/delays that had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hibasaki Sanjuro
msg tools
Green Angel wrote:

Thanks. So Nick is wrong to say we've been delayed by 7 months.

Quote:
Pretty confident we will get all this before retail, except maybe the core set and one or two expansions. There are still about a dozen or so items from the original Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter that have still to hit retail and we are not having anywhere near all the problems/delays that had.

Don't forget the Kickstarter exclusives. Plus the fact we're saving money due to all the stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, they actually released the full adventure book this time as a PDF. Man, I wish they did that for the original core sets. Maybe they are finally getting over their fear of online releases of rules. That would be very welcome since having them as PDF's makes it easier to print out ref cards and check on tablets or pass around to friends before game night.

Good job Flying Frog!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leto K
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the links to the PDFs were meant to be posted here... FFP said:

"These are not posted publicly, this is a special preview just for backers to get a first look."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
letok wrote:
I don't think the links to the PDFs were meant to be posted here... FFP said:

"These are not posted publicly, this is a special preview just for backers to get a first look."

Yeah, those should really not be posted here. Bad form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HibasakiSanjuro wrote:
https://

They also provided copies (previews?) of the rulebook and adventure book.

http://

http://

I do think you're not allowed to publish the links to these here on BGG as its "backers only" content

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
In his defense, the backer update was not "backer only" so anyone can go read it and download from the links. Unless FFP meant to flag it "backer only" and forgot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hibasaki Sanjuro
msg tools
ScottE wrote:
In his defense, the backer update was not "backer only" so anyone can go read it and download from the links. Unless FFP meant to flag it "backer only" and forgot.

I've removed the links from my first post, but it's a really odd thing for FFP to do. Anyone can access the kickstarter and updates, so how could it ever not be public?

Angelsenior wrote:
I do think you're not allowed to publish the links to these here on BGG as its "backers only" content

Then you need to remove the links as well from your quote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HibasakiSanjuro wrote:

I've removed the links from my first post, but it's a really odd thing for FFP to do. Anyone can access the kickstarter and updates, so how could it ever not be public?

Gotta' make sure those alternate paint schemes for the monsters isn't available to the plebs.

Honestly though, I'm betting FFP doesn't care. You still need the minis, tiles, tokens, etc. to play the game so IP theft is a minor to non concern (I'm not sure you can play the new characters even with just this material and proxy figs). They -say- they don't want it shared because they know a good chunk of the backers would get pissed off, but putting it out there makes for more advertising for the game. And asking for forgiveness is always easier than asking for permission.

Or they screwed up, made the post public, and have yet to realize they could pull down the PDFs from their hosting site because it's the weekend and they're getting ready for Gen Con and they ignore backers' comments and messages anyway. (I don't think you can edit a KS post after posting it, but I could be wrong)

Either scenario is plausible.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-b...
Angelsenior wrote:

Then you need to remove the links as well from your quote.[/q]

But what about the link to the links?!?! And then -those- links?

It's the internet. I'm sure people will keep the secret and not reshare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HibasakiSanjuro wrote:
Green Angel wrote:

Thanks. So Nick is wrong to say we've been delayed by 7 months.

He's possibly wrong because he low balled his guess.

Figure they finish the molds in early August. Now, the key question is "have they already produced everything but those two molds worth?" If they've finished up Core Set production and most of the stretch goals and all the printed stuff, and are just finishing up with these items, then they spend the rest of August manufacturing the remaining minis, throw 'em in a ziplock baggie, and get them to port. Shipping to the US runs means a Mid-October arrival. Another 2 weeks to go from US port to distribution and then shipping (Chinese packing helped speed this, but not entirely remove it), and we're looking at early to mid November to be at our door. Assuming the Chinese factory properly packs everything and is just waiting for the last few minis to add, that may add another week or two; if they're packing once everything is ready, add another 4-6 weeks. All that stuff about shipping from China just means they're having a Chinese company do it; it saves a small bit of time, but still takes time. And then there's customs, holiday shipping delays, and further unexpected issues (hope that boat company doesn't go under!).

On the upside, it looks like some degree of production is underway or else they wouldn't have core sets to sell at Gen Con (for a higher price than backers paid, I'm sure, so people shouldn't be -too- pissed).

Absolute most optimistic best case scenario is we have stuff November in time for the holidays. Realistic scenario we see it in January/February. Pessimistic scenario, we see it next June.

So 7 months off of March is unlikely, but not by much.

I'm not thrilled, but I'm not mad either because I went in expecting all this and backed Shogun anyway (twice!). $900+ MSRP worth of stuff in a pledge for $300? I'll wait a few extra months to save ~66% and not have to wait for the Frogs to slowly dole things out at retail (which is likely as much a marketplace reality as anything).

Quote:
Don't forget the Kickstarter exclusives. Plus the fact we're saving money due to all the stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hibasaki Sanjuro
msg tools
San Dee Jota wrote:
Now, the key question is "have they already produced everything but those two molds worth?"

Indeed. I would like to think that they're getting on with producing what they can, because it makes no sense to delay production if the molds are ready. But I could be wrong.

About shipping from regional centres, my recollection is that FFP have said that they've got only two boxes (Sumo and Shogun pledges). That will mean that regional shipping should be fairly quick, as all the regional distributor has to do is get the boxes out of the shipping container and whack a label on it. I doubt they'll open the boxes up and do a check on the contents, although that would increase the chances of missing parts.

I think the US can expect sea shipping to be quicker than 6 weeks. It takes about 4 weeks for shipping to the UK from China, and from what I can find it's about 3 weeks (or less) to the US West Coast.

I think backers shouldn't expect to have their pledges arrive before late October or early November, but it's fair to say they should arrive before Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the update:

"Originally, we had expected to have all of these molds done by the end of the year in 2017, but the manufacturer was not able to keep up with the pace required to get that done. Once the last molds are complete, the miniature factory will set to work getting the remaining production done for the plastic figures. Then those can be combined with the printed materials and packaged into cartons for Sumo and Shogun Pledges."

While this is pretty vague, I could see how the only mini production left is those 2 molds and maybe some extra. However, I have no reason to assume this, getting your hopes up with FFP is an exercise in stupidity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keld Hjortskov
Denmark
Bagsværd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone disappointed about the 6 basic missions being the same as for the other core sets?
Same goes for travel hazards apart from a few words.

The rest looks awesome, but seems more like an otherworld expansion than a new core set.

As for the other stuff in the update:
- Delays are to be expected given the track record from the first KS
- Advance copies at GenCon makes little difference to me.
- Links for PDF's are cool, but a bit silly to present it as backers only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosworth wrote:
Anyone disappointed about the 6 basic missions being the same as for the other core sets?

Maybe this is a bit of a disappointment for seasoned SoB players. But as someone new to the game, I am happy that I will get the same intro in this core box as other people got in their core boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tricil wrote:
Cosworth wrote:

Maybe this is a bit of a disappointment for seasoned SoB players. But as someone new to the game, I am happy that I will get the same intro in this core box as other people got in their core boxes.

I agree, no disappointment here. Actually, its what I expected as it cuts costs down and makes the cores equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hibasaki Sanjuro
msg tools
I can see that repeating missions may irritate veterans of Shadows of Brimstone, but they'll be new to me, so I at least don't mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.