Burger Time: The Card Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Let's Get Cooking! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William McKeever
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

If you’re like me and you grew up in the era of arcades, then some titles will always stick with you. Pac-Man, Dragons Lair, Q-Bert, and Asteroids were all games that stimulated my young imagination and helped to shape who I am today.

Sadly, those wonderfully dark and smelly quarter devourers don’t exist anymore. Neither do most of the games that once lined their sticky floors. However, one company, Onichan Games, has found a way to reincarnate one of the most frustratingly simple arcade classics in a surprisingly new way.

Burger Time The Card Game, is just as easy to learn as it predecessor in pixel form. The goal is to build your burgers before your opponent can build theirs. Just like the arcade version, each player is assigned three peppers, then both players take alternating turns drawing cards. If the card you draw is part of the burger you're building, you take it. If not, then it’s your opponent’s turn to draw. If this sounds easy, that’s because it is. Until you play it. In the arcade version, players were always on the lookout for Mr. Hot Dog, Mr. Egg, and Mr. Pickle. The same is true for the Card Game. If drawn, these characters force you to discard all the cards you have in your current burger build, unless you have a pepper available to thwart them.

When I first came across this game, I was taken back and a bit skeptical. I was curious to see just how well it could be translated into a modern iteration, and still maintain the magical feeling that came over you when you completed your burgers. In a time where it seems that everyone is banking on the nostalgia of the 80’s just to make a buck, this game is not one of them. This is the real deal. Fun, fast-paced and perfect for your kid's first card game.

I had the opportunity to play this game first hand with one of the developers, and the passion and creativity show through without a second glance. We played two rounds (on easy) and I was shocked not by just how fast I picked it up, but also by how intense the gameplay was. The feeling of anxiety you get, hoping that the next card is something you need, is akin to looking for mana inMagic The Gathering. This feeling is only rivaled by the exasperation of seeing your opponent draw the card you needed so badly. Most notably I enjoyed the fact that after just those two games, I was ready to teach it to anyone. This combined with a very short set up time means that this game can be played just as fast as you can take it out of the box and shuffle the cards.

Burger Time The Card Game is a great introduction to simple yet addictive card games with either your children or your gaming group. In the end, we at Board Game Bards highly recommend keeping a copy in your game library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did this get approved in Rise of Tribes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petros Lee
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the most solid and insightful reviews I've seen on this game thus far.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens to me all the time, misspelling Rise of Tribes with BurgerTime, The Card Game.

Who has never done it, cast the first dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Connolly
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
Happens to me all the time, misspelling Rise of Tribes with BurgerTime, The Card Game.

I have NEVER typed "BurgerTime, The Card Game" when I meant to type "Rise of Tribes", and I'm a lousy typist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Burger Time The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patcon wrote:
PEdorido wrote:

I have NEVER typed "BurgerTime, The Card Game" when I meant to type "Rise of Tribes", and I'm a lousy typist.

Errr, you understand it was a joke, right...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petros Lee
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
patcon wrote:
PEdorido wrote:

Errr, you understand it was a joke, right...?

Burger Time, The Card Game, is serious business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamebards wrote:

Sadly, those wonderfully dark and smelly quarter devourers don’t exist anymore.

Oh yes they do. I'm lucky enough to live near a place called Klassic Arcade which is full of pinball and old video games. $7 (recently raised from $5) to play as long as you want, no quarters required.

And they have Burger Time. I've had the pleasure of teaching my kids how to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McKeever
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Not sure how it got placed there, but thank you for moving it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.